Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
TPMS Learning mode stuck after winter wheel swap: sensors reading from Durametric

This is a new one for me. I have been swapping wheels for 4 years now seasonally and re-learning no issues. Both sets are 18" 5 spoke, summer OEM sensors, winter after market.

Right now, I cannot get the TPMS to leave learning: its been about a week, several resets (switching between winter/summer to try to jog it) etc...

I got out the Durametric, and I can read the sensor values for pressure/temp/age on 3/4 wheels. RR is showing values that are impossible, such as 5.38 bar for pressure.

What puzzles me here is: it seems to me something else is amuck as 3 of the 4 wheels should report back, unless the TPC controller is toast, or this is a corner case that is freaking out
the TPC (some folks say the controller is sensitive: typical millennial :). I'm suspicious either way: all I did was swap out a set of wheels.

To see if it was a sensor, I swapped my rear tires and the problem did not move to the LR: the RR continued to report same 5.38 bar value.

Anyone else see something like this before? I have been searching and reading up across 997.1 threads as well as it shares a part with controller.

Not sure if I can just swap on a controller or not: did read that they needed to be coded to a car and can't be moved (which seems really stupid to me but believable :)

I'm inclined to leave it for the winter, swap on the summers and if it persists then take it in as I'll have a totally different set of information then and could get some warranty work (still some left on extended) but fundamentally this bugs me and I am trying to get to the bottom of it :D

Otherwise...I need to find a Pro unit, or a tech who will take a fiscal contribution to just code the !#&*ing thing out: I despise TPMS systems.

Any tips appreciated, and thanks for reading,

- b

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Re: TPMS Learning mode stuck after winter wheel swap: sensors reading from Durametric

Scratch your last idea off the list because no one will shut TPMS off. Liability reasons.

How long did you leave the summer tires on when you swapped them back on? Did you drive for 15-20 min for the system to learn them?
It sounds like you have a dead battery in one of your winter tires. May not necessarily be your RR.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Re: TPMS Learning mode stuck after winter wheel swap: sensors reading from Durametric

Scratch your last idea off the list because no one will shut TPMS off. Liability reasons.

How long did you leave the summer tires on when you swapped them back on? Did you drive for 15-20 min for the system to learn them?
It sounds like you have a dead battery in one of your winter tires. May not necessarily be your RR.
+1. TPMS enumerates the strongest signal as the LF, then RF, LR and then RR. No easy way to tell which it really is other then using a summer tire to replace one at a time.

·
Registered
179 Posts

I've been told that the batteries in the TPMS sensors are good for about six years. See if you can find a tire shop that can test the sensor batteries.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Batteries should be good as < 4 yo but things do fail. Gonna wait until spring then unless I am motivated to play musical tires and given they are resting comfortably in my basement right now there is little motivation :) The light while annoying is easy to ignore and the P car gets used less during the white season.

Thanks for the conversation folks,

- b

·
Banned
2,307 Posts

The sensors will only send a signal .. as inertia turns them on.. usually only two things go wrong.. when your stuck in the learning mode.. its either the pick has gone bad.. or the batteries on one of the sensors had died..if you have another set of wheels with the sensors.. and take it around the block then you will know if its the sensors or the pick up..

2 cents
Lemon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.