Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 987.1 S is away to the car hospital to get her engine rebuilt. I'm quite excited about this, as it's the opportunity to have the entire engine bay checked for wear and tear, and to replace anything that warrants it, such as engine mounts, coolant pipes, etc.

While a lot of things are going to be replaced in the engine itself, there are a couple of options I'm wondering could be done, but are they really worth it?

The first is boring the engine out; for $5,500 I could get a 3.8L engine (with the Boxster cranks this will admittedly be more like 3.6L). The question is... is it really worth it?

The rebuilder says it will basically make the can accelerate like it's in a gear lower, so gassing on the highway in 6th will result make it accelerate like I'm in 5th now. As much as that sounds like fun, I quite like changing down to accelerate. So if I didn't rebore the engine, I could spend that money on updating the suspension and brakes.

What is everyone's thoughts on this? Is the big bore worth the money, or should I spend it else where?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Personally I would spend that money on suspension and/or brakes...provided your goal is to be as fast as possible on track or in spirited canyon driving. The overall increase in performance would very much outweigh a (relatively) small bump in horsepower by itself.

·
Registered
574 Posts
What is the marginal cost to go bigger? I think it is like $4500 for LN Nikkies and pistons. Also, as racergreg asked, what are your performance goals? Sway bars and LCAs totally transformed the way my Cayman handled. I wish I'da done those mods first instead of power stuff.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I never heard anyone complain after boring an engine oversize. I have heard many guys regret not doing it after spending all that money on a rebuild.

The advantage of the big bore is that you will have a significatant increase in power in the midrange. You will find that you won't need to rev the engine as high and therefore the big bore engine will last longer while giving you more smiles per mile.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.