Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just about done with my configuration. Just looking for advice on the rain sensing and dimming mirrors. I currently have not included them but not sure. Every car I have owned for the last few years has had rain sensing wiper and a rearview dimming mirror.
My current config:
Sapphire blue
Manual transmission
PTV
Safety bars in ext color
White dials
info with Bose
Smoker pkg
Sport seats
GTS delete on doors
Park assist with camera
Power fold mirrors.

In a bind I could do without the dials and safety bar color as they do not add to the performance but was not sure if those of you driving these cars had an opinion on the mirrors and sensor wiper ?

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I actually like the regular black dials better.

If there's something missing from your config that I'd recommend, it's the auto climate control and heated seats that come in the comfort package.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Seconded on the heated seats - the premium plus package is a good deal.

I'd definitely give up the bars and dials for this.

I guess it also depends where you live -- here in the Northeast, heated seats are a requirement.

I love my power mirrors and rain sense wipers. the auto dim mirrors are "so-so". They really don't do as good a job as a good old flip switch, but they "try" (and they do it on their own, without my intervention)

Being able to retract the Power Mirrors makes me feel safer in confined spaces (parking garages and such) and I have used them once or twice while driving.

Are you doing anything about the seats? (Ie, power seats?)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Seconded on the heated seats - the premium plus package is a good deal.

I'd definitely give up the bars and dials for this.

I guess it also depends where you live -- here in the Northeast, heated seats are a requirement.

I love my power mirrors and rain sense wipers. the auto dim mirrors are "so-so". They really don't do as good a job as a good old flip switch, but they "try" (and they do it on their own, without my intervention)

Being able to retract the Power Mirrors makes me feel safer in confined spaces (parking garages and such) and I have used them once or twice while driving.

Are you doing anything about the seats? (Ie, power seats?)
Ditto on the heated seats, even here in the Deep South. Something about flatulating in komfort when it gets below freezing (and then turning on the Ventilated Seats to dissipate the fumes). I would even have gone for the Heated Steering Wheel, but you can't get that with the SportDesign Wheel. Our 335i Coupe has both, and both I and SWMBO are hooked - First World Problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have sat in both types of seats and have no issue with the base GTS seats. I figure after the first couple of months I will not be adjusting them. I have gotten used to the power, memory and keyless functions in my current car an An Audi S5 so I will certainly miss it but am kind of at the top of where I want to be with this car as is. I do have the convenience pkg I just missed it in my original post. Ill be glad when I have reached my drop dead date to place the order and leave the configurator behind.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Self-dimming side- and rear-view mirrors are a "must have" here, where every second vehicle on the road is a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup. The old flick a switch approach on a manual dimming mirror is fine...but doesn't deal with blazing headlights in the side mirrors.

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I had to go back to the configurator to make sense of this. I didn't realize that the premium package, that includes this stuff, wasn't available without the expensive seats.

On it's own, this little package is rather expensive for what you're getting. I don't know if I'd have specced it this way. It's a tough one. I don't really care about the rain sensor. I haven't yet had a chance to really use it in my GTS to get an idea of how good it is, but in my Mazda it's often more frustrating than useful. So that one's a wash, so far as I'm concerned. The auto-dimming mirrors are a nice feature that I really like. As mentioned, it's even more valuable considering how low the car sits. There's lots of vehicles out there that can be annoyingly bright even if they're not driven by idiots with their high-beams on. Then again... it IS quite expensive.

Now... if it's your bottom line you're worried about and not the individual option prices, then I'd definitely drop the white gauge faces for this. Given the choice of one or the other, I'd rather have the dimming mirrors. As for the painted roll hoops... well... with the Sapphire Blue and the black interior, I think those roll hoops are going to look really sharp. So I think, while they add nothing to the driving experience, I'd really rather not lose those in your config.

Remember... at some point when you're this close to ordering and have it all mostly pinned down... it's ok to just say "f-it" and add another grand to your budget. Work some overtime. Cancel a vacation. You can make it happen. ;)

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Contrary to the most people here I LOVE manual mirror. I have had autodimming mirror on every car in last dunno 10-15 years. And it's always some flavor of Gentex mirror, and it's always not dimming enough. I was always uncomfortable in tight traffic, often having to manipulate the mirror if some track follows me. When I flip manual mirror in 981 - it's dim and done! It's perfectly dark, but you still see all the headlights just fine. I love it.

Rain sensors are non-issue, I think. Again, all my other cars have it and usually it's fine. But I prefer exact manual control in 981 slightly better. May be I'm a control freak.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you're thinking about dark tint on your windows, I think you might skip the auto-dimming mirrors.

On my previous Audi with max legal tint (35%), the auto dimming mirrors backfired. At night the side mirrors would dim, but that made headlights too dark. The rearview mirror never dimmed once the tint was on. The occasions where I wanted to dim the reflection, I couldn't because there was no mechanical device.

So I optioned my CGTS without auto-dimming mirrors.

I never use auto windshield wiper function. I always selectively swipe unless I am in heavy rain + heavy traffic. I'm a control freak and I want the wiper to activate only when I tell it to!

YMMV.

Peace

Reactions: T-Design

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Just get the same options as on my car, maybe plus leather and you'll be perfect! :)

·
Registered
851 Posts
I like the dimming mirrors. I've had a dimming interior mirror on the past few cars and I liked it, so I got them on the Cayman as well, they work for me. At least one person here didn't realize they also included the exteriors mirrors dimming as well. Having dimming exterior mirrors is a welcome novelty, I like them as well. There is a small strip around the edge of the exterior mirror (1/4" or so) which doesn't dim, then you get to notice the SUV towering above you tail does have bright lights.

I'd avoided rain sensing wiper previously, I was put off by the cost of replacement windscreens. This time I got it because it came with the mirrors (and I'm not so worried about the cost). I like them as well, they're set and forget, so the first I know about rain (which is rare here) is when the wipers wipe unexpectedly. Sometimes they seem to get a bit dozy and not wipe as fast as I'd like despite being set on max, switching them off and on again seems to cure that. (It was a problem with the biblical level flood we had in december.)

As white dials have been mentioned, I like them as well. They're nice and contrasty day and night. They can have an awkward time towards late afternoon when the lights come on automatically but its not really dark out. Then they wash out and are almost invisible. You can turn off the lights to cure that until its dark enough to benefit.

Sapphire blue is a great color, you'll get lots of compliments.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
I just got back from the dealer. I swapped the dials for the dimming mirrors, same cost. It's a April build for May delivery, the wait begins!
Good move. The auto dimming mirrors are 5 stage, work very well, better than 2 stage manual and auto dims on other brands I've had in past. I had the auto dims on my last Cayman and ordered them again, despite cost. I also had white dials on the old CS, and loved them, but I don't think they look right on the 981 because the new digital display on the right is black, the white dials look unbalanced.
Congratulations on your order.

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts
Self-dimming side- and rear-view mirrors are a "must have" here, where every second vehicle on the road is a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup. The old flick a switch approach on a manual dimming mirror is fine...but doesn't deal with blazing headlights in the side mirrors.
This and the auto rain sensing works fine for Seattle conditions :D. So good choice to have added them.

I would also add the $0 smoker package option for a nicer look (cover) and an extra power outlet.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
It would suck not having dimming mirrors. Those lifted trucks and 18 wheelers WILL blind you at night. They aren't perfect of course:
- Outer 1/4 inch edge of the side mirrors aren't coated... i angle the mirrors away so that tiny edge isn't directed to the rear headlights
- Sensor is in the rear view mirror and sometimes doesn't trigger... my headrest is adjusted so I can sit back and will not see whats behind me when there someone back there tailgating
- They dim barely enough... wish they did more, but certainly a big difference from not having it (prevent blinding, but sometimes can still be bright)
- Wish you can turn on dimming and keep it on so it doesn't go off when sometimes it shouldn't

Regarding paint covered roll-bars. Its preference of course, but matte plastic is more durable and the black goes with everything else.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I found the auto rain sensors AWESOME for on the track - when you are really busy taking care of other stuff, having the wipers spring to life at whatever speed &/or frequency required to deal with the wheel spray, the source of which might be immediately, directly, in front of you ain't a bad thing at all . . . . FWIW.

·
Registered
751 Posts
First it was rev matching, now auto dimming mirrors and auto wipers?! What about the driving experience?! Just kidding. The auto-dim and auto-wipers are awesome. Personally, I think it's a worthwhile functional trade over the asthetic options if you need to save money.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts