Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm sitting at a traffic light and a women behind me in a Jeep Cherokee taps my 14' 981 S bumper. It couldn't have been more than a mile an hour or two impact as we were both stopped. We both get out and it appears as if there is no damage. I leave getting only her tag number. I arrive home and do a more detailed examination and notice that there is a 1/2 - 1 inch or so denatured area/crease inside the license plate area, the vertical line which is why did not notice it initially. Question? Should I file a police report and contact the insurance companies or leave it be? My wife says I should and get some other small scratches fixed (unrelated to the accident) at the same time. My biggest concern is the accident, albeit small, will get posted to CarFax and when I go to sell or trade her in, it will devalue the car more than the nearly invisible damage will or even make it a Leper to a prospective buyer/Dealer when the time comes.

Thoughts please?

·
Registered
751 Posts
The police report is what generates the CarFax

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
If you file a police report, there's a virtual certainty that it will be reported to CarFax. Based on your description it sounds like a minor repair. Take it to a shop and get an estimate, and then you will be in a better position to know what your next step should be. Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess my next question should be if all I have is her tag, wouldn't the only way to get her contact info be to contact the police and wouldn't they want an accident report to disclose her contact info?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I would get an estimate before doing anything. You do not want to file a police report, minor accident or not, an accident on a carfax is way more damaging than the minor accident. The right way would have been, get her driver's license and insurance card and just take a picture of it with your phone. I did just that with my Acura MDX, got all her info, never filed a police report. Took it for an estimate and they said there is no damage. So nothing needed to be fix, no damage, no accident on carfax.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
My 2-mile-an-hour front bumper "tap" on my 911 cost $9,000 to properly fix. Mind you, it was -30 Celsius outside at the time, and the bumper cover disintegrated on impact...but I'm told that even in a minor impact, the shock absorbing components behind the bumper skin may need replacing. Actually, I was advised that if they take a hit and aren't replaced, they won't do their job properly in a subsequent shunt. I suggest having an estimate done by a Porsche Certified body shop; they will have a much better idea of what needs replacing (if anything) at what cost.

In my view, a Porsche that's damaged under the skin and not repaired is worse than an accident report on CarFax. If you need to get insurance involved, have the body shop document the entire repair procedure with photos so you can show a future buyer that the incident was minor.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I guess my next question should be if all I have is her tag, wouldn't the only way to get her contact info be to contact the police and wouldn't they want an accident report to disclose her contact info?
This makes it tough. Wild suggestion is to see if your insurance will help track down the other driver. You might have to be on really good terms with your agent to avoid police report.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,852 Posts
Your question implies that you would not disclose the accident to future prospective buyers, which is an ethical question that only you can answer.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rickyb

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your question implies that you would not disclose the accident to future prospective buyers, which is an ethical question that only you can answer.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
That is not what I am implying. I do not want a Carfax issue to devalue the car 1) more than it should for what is actually only a minor blemish and 2) prevent a prospective buyer from immediately dismissing my car as a prospect for purchase not knowing that the damage was so minor, it would be near impossible to see but rather assume that it might have been a very serious accident.

·
Registered
255 Posts
the only problem with that approach is if you trade the car in and a carfax exists on the car, the car will have to be carried in inventory as a "diminished value" car. consider it from the viewpoint of the buyer: how much discount would you require to buy this car, vs the identical car without the damage (even if repaired)? you can be sure that the tradein value will *conservatively* reflect the uncertainty of that amount.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the only problem with that approach is if you trade the car in and a carfax exists on the car, the car will have to be carried in inventory as a "diminished value" car. consider it from the viewpoint of the buyer: how much discount would you require to buy this car, vs the identical car without the damage (even if repaired)? you can be sure that the tradein value will *conservatively* reflect the uncertainty of that amount.
I did some research and made a phone call....the consensus is anywhere from 10-30% off the value of the vehicle at trade and prospective private buyers on eBay etc will immediately pass over any car with a CarFax accident report.

·
Registered
255 Posts
fwiw, the day before i was about to trade in my (exactly two year old) 2011 A4 for my 2013 Boxster, i was hit from behind when i stopped for a pedestrian at a crosswalk. the Audi required a new bumper cover, etc; no bent sheet metal. total repairs were something like $1700. the Porsche dealer took $2000 diminished value off the Audi.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That makes complete sense. My worry is 2-3 years post repair......you lose a bunch of trade value with the CF report hanging out there.

·
Registered
294 Posts
You're not driving an egg. A 1 -2 mph bump with that small a scratch (no dent) tells me a light spray over will do the trick. If you sell it privately, you can show and tell the prospective buyer what happened and what you did. 10-30% off the value for that is crazy.

As for not getting more info from the woman at the time; a good lesson for us all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's an odd bird of a 'crease" if you can even call it that.... located on the inside of the license plate area's vertical wall and a corner at that. No paint is gone and you would be hard pressed to even see it unless you got inside that area and detailed it. A light spray over would not even apply (no pun intended).

Yeah, my wife laid into me (geez more puns) about not getting her complete info. Never again. I've learned my lesson.

·
Registered
773 Posts
But wait, I remember reading yesterday from the OP that is "damage" is a nit, why is everyone all lathered up with diminished value and a car fax? It its so minor, just get it fixed, or not. It's not a museum collectable classic car. Worrying about what the next owner will think is a fools errand. It's a sports car that hopefully is driven aggressively. Otherwise, put your money in a CD in the bank.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts