Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

Assuming that you are a fan of the Boxster lineup (Cayman owners, just roll with this

• Yes, I would buy the new Spyder

Votes: 42 56.0%
  • No, I would not buy the new Spyder

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • I am not sure, need more time and/or research, reviews, etc

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I would wait and speculate to see what comes next

Votes: 5 6.7%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It seems that there are many strong opinions on the 981 Spyder.

Assuming that you are a fan of the Boxster lineup (Cayman owners, just roll with this) and are going to buy new, would you order the Spyder over the other models?

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
I would not buy the new Spyder. That doesn't mean that I don't like the concept of a Spyder. I think it could be a great car. My vote just means that they are impractical for me personally.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I would not buy the new Spyder. That doesn't mean that I don't like the concept of a Spyder. I think it could be a great car. My vote just means that they are impractical for me personally.
This is exactly my opinion. I love the thing... but I'm not the demographic for it. :)

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
I would definitely buy the Spyder if my timing was better. For me, my Porsche is a fair weather weekend toy so the top is a non-issue. I would only get a manual anyway and the car just looks gorgeous IMO. It is literally the perfect car for me.

Also, the other thread about Boxsters and AC has opinions that are revealing. I would get the AC and the radio since it is not a real track car anyway and everybody would want them for resale. You wont notice the weight savings.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Yes and waiting on allocations...
Agree it's polarizing here and many have weighed in why they won't buy it. Extensively.
i love the look, man trans only and the engine. I only have the roof up for the odd summer rain or when it's impractical to have it down (short trips, cold morning below 50 etc).
Porsche is always going to have the next best thing, I'm not sure what I would wait for.
Gt4 boxster? Non Spyder with 3.8 ? 4cyl turbo? Who knows.
:cheers:

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
I am an advocate, obviously, of the Spyder, but I got to say that early adopters WILL get screwed.

Everyone is rushing out to get those GT4 cars, particularly those new to the marque. But a more reasonable and cautious approach based upon historical evidence, is that they will get screwed, if only in the sense that a RS car will arrive and a PDK car surely too.

The same is true of the Spyder. There is no reason for a Spyder GT4 twin NOT to exist. The fact that there is no GT3 cabrio equivalent doesn't fly simply because despite all the hype over the GT4 being a proper GT car, I call that marketing. 911 Cabrios are always a tick or so slower than the equivalent coupes and there is a long racing history associated with homogulating those cars up to the 911RSR. There is zero history for the GT4. They could do whatever they want to do.

If it were me, and looking for a Boxster, I would wait for the GT4 version. A little bit of patience might pay off, if simply in terms of future exclusivity. And price should be a non-issue unless they decided the exclusivity demands it be priced higher than the coupe version.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
I am an advocate, obviously, of the Spyder, but I got to say that early adopters WILL get screwed.

Everyone is rushing out to get those GT4 cars, particularly those new to the marque. But a more reasonable and cautious approach based upon historical evidence, is that they will get screwed, if only in the sense that a RS car will arrive and a PDK car surely too.

The same is true of the Spyder. There is no reason for a Spyder GT4 twin NOT to exist. The fact that there is no GT3 cabrio equivalent doesn't fly simply because despite all the hype over the GT4 being a proper GT car, I call that marketing. 911 Cabrios are always a tick or so slower than the equivalent coupes and there is a long racing history associated with homogulating those cars up to the 911RSR. There is zero history for the GT4. They could do whatever they want to do.

If it were me, and looking for a Boxster, I would wait for the GT4 version. A little bit of patience might pay off, if simply in terms of future exclusivity. And price should be a non-issue unless they decided the exclusivity demands it be priced higher than the coupe version.
I am missing something. This whole idea on P9 and in the auto blogs is speculation that a Spyder GT4 is coming. I think the Spyder is the Boxster GT4 just under a different name. It has the same engine (detuned 10hp), front design, but without GT3 suspension parts. What would a Spyder GT4 be? Add back in the 10hp, a fixed wing, GT3 suspension bits and a normal top? Maybe I just answered my own question.

Reactions: CAlexio

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
I am missing something. ... What would a Spyder GT4 be? Add back in the 10hp, a fixed wing, GT3 suspension bits and a normal top? Maybe I just answered my own question.
^^^^

Except I don't think it will have a normal top. I think it will look exactly like the Spyder, just add the aero and front suspension bit, done. How much work is that?

Bake at 325 for 60 minutes, cool and eat.

·
Registered
625 Posts
^^^^

Except I don't think it will have a normal top. I think it will look exactly like the Spyder, just add the aero and front suspension bit, done. How much work is that?

Bake at 325 for 60 minutes, cool and eat.
I am missing something. This whole idea on P9 and in the auto blogs is speculation that a Spyder GT4 is coming. I think the Spyder is the Boxster GT4 just under a different name. It has the same engine (detuned 10hp), front design, but without GT3 suspension parts. What would a Spyder GT4 be? Add back in the 10hp, a fixed wing, GT3 suspension bits and a normal top? Maybe I just answered my own question.
plus 1oz unobtainium. :D

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Once they slap those side scoops and the fixed wing on it, it's gonna be a whole other animal!!! :D

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What a surprise! The poll is equally divided by the P9 members. Just like every other "would you, wouldn't you" question ever posted on here! LOL

If they release a Spyder GT4 version and drop it another 10mm, stiffen the suspension, and add the rear wing, I personally would be out. Yes, it may be more exclusive etc, but in my opinion it becomes too impractical for the street. I will most likely never track the car except for an occasional DE event. Even for the Cayman GT4, I could have bought one but passed. It is just not suitable for me, other than the ability to say "I have the GT4". I also would not want to gamble on a Spyder GT4 (SGT4?) and it does not happen.

Of course, this is a wonderful dilemma to have. All are GREAT cars and you really cannot go wrong with any choice.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
The only thing that gives me pause is the rag. However, one test drive could trigger a "fcuk the roof, this is sublime" vector, negating any such hesitation.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Now... if the GT4 version has 2 extra cylinders and maybe a hybrid electric system and some top-facing exhaust pipes, I may very well change my mind... :D

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Hooked on PDK and power top. Would love better suspension geometry, maybe with softer settings than GT4, would have fun with more power, though I have enough already.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
No, I would not pull the trigger currently on the Spyder for many different reasons. I personally do not like the front of the Spyder as much as I do my GTS. I feel Porsche could have designed better wheels to complement the Spyder. Also not a huge fan of the manual top. Being a GTS owner I am perfectly content right now with it. Now if they applied a power top, 400+ hp, GT suspension, more aggressive wheels, then I would def. consider it.

It seems that there are many strong opinions on the 981 Spyder.

Assuming that you are a fan of the Boxster lineup (Cayman owners, just roll with this) and are going to buy new, would you order the Spyder over the other models?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would pass on the Spyder. Too impractical for me both in terms of the manual top and the non-adjustable suspension that will be far too stiff for a daily driver. Not special enough either. I'm not in love with the looks and the GT4 is substantially more upgraded in terms of brakes, wheels, suspension, and aero. I'm not a candidate for the GT4 as I want a drop-top, but a Boxster GT4 would be far more tempting to me than the Spyder.

The extra power is nice (duh!) but the relatively low power peak (6700) hasn't changed. Why Porsche keeps sabotaging all Boxster models with this crap -- not to mention the ridiculously tall gearing in all 981s -- is beyond me. All 981s should peak where the Cayman models do: 7400 rpm.

The Spyder makes much more sense to someone (unlike me) who will use it as a weekend toy. Certainly, it will hold its value better than my GTS.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I would pass on the Spyder. Too impractical for me both in terms of the manual top and the non-adjustable suspension that will be far too stiff for a daily driver. Not special enough either. I'm not in love with the looks and the GT4 is substantially more upgraded in terms of brakes, wheels, suspension, and aero. I'm not a candidate for the GT4 as I want a drop-top, but a Boxster GT4 would be far more tempting to me than the Spyder.

Couldn't agree more. I just wish they offered the Spyder engine as an option on the Boxster S model. I'd be willing to pay a premium for the extra HP, but I don't want ether a manual top or the already poor rear visibility made worse by the humps on the rear deck lid.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I like that the spyder makes the "regular" Boxster seem rather practical. It also starts at $2k less than a base 911, which in terms of a fun sports car may be a little awkward.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts