Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tentative Itinerary

Sunday 5/16

Start: I-78 rest stop: (40.644, -74.618)
End: 2725 Roanoke St., Chrstiansburg, VA 24073

• I-78 Rest stop to Christianburg (485 miles)
  • Lunch on the road
  • Group dinner in Christiansburg with Jim Michaels
Staten Island, NY 10305 to 2725 Roanoke St, Christiansburg, VA 24073 - Google Maps

****************************************************************************************************************

Monday 5/17

Start: 2725 Roanoke St., Chrstiansburg, VA 24073
End: 35.432, -83.821 (50 Fontana Road. Fontana Dam, North Carolina 28733)

• Christiansburg to Fontana via Ashville (330 miles, 6-8 hrs)
  • Lunch in Asheville or Pisgah Inn
  • Detour on Blue Ridge
  • Dinner at Fontana Inn
2725 Roanoke St, Christiansburg, VA 24073 to Woods Rd - Google Maps

****************************************************************************************************************

Tuesday 5/18

Start and End: Fontana Village Resort

• AM Dragon Run, detour for Foothills Parkway at dawn. (55 miles)
  • Back to Fontana for breakfast
Woods Rd to N Carolina 28 S/Fontana Rd - Google Maps

• Cherohala Skyway for the rest of the day. (142 miles)
  • Free time at Fontana
  • Group dinner TBD
Woods Rd to N Carolina 28 N/Fontana Rd - Google Maps (original plan)

Modified route due to road closure

Cherohala Skyway out and back with Moonshiners 28 - Google Maps

**********************************************************************************************************************

Wednesday 5/19

Start: Fontana Village Resort
End: Guesthouse Hotel in Asheville

• AM Dragon Run (optional) (55 miles)
  • Back to Fontana for breakfast
Woods Rd to N Carolina 28 S/Fontana Rd - Google Maps

• Fontana to Ashville (200 miles)
  • Detour to Thunder Rd.
  • Visit to Kevin's (ARCuhTEK)
  • Group dinner TBD
Woods Rd to 234 Hendersonville Rd, Asheville, NC 28803 - Google Maps

**********************************************************************************************************************

Thursday 5/20

• Asheville to Meadows of Dan Inn (240 miles)
  • Travel on Blue Ridge with a few detours for twisties
  • Lunch in Blowing Rock, NC
234 Hendersonville Rd, Asheville, NC 28803 to 182 Woodberry Rd SW, Burks Fork, VA 24120 - Google Maps

Friday 5/21

Meadows of Dan to Home via Blue Ridge (586 miles)

182 Woodberry Rd SW, Burks Fork, VA 24120 to I-278 E - Google Maps

·
Super Moderator
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Those on the fence about getting a GPS unit should bite the bullet and get one for this trip.

Lot's of unfamiliar roads to contend with and it'll be a lot less stressful is you get separated from the pack.

So the packing list should include:

• FRS Radios - 7 radios total so far. (2-PP, 3-gonzo, 2-AJK)
  • GPS

·
Super Moderator
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As long as there are rest stops and food, I'll do my best on the last day. But it'll definitely be a record long drive for me if I do pull it off without napping at a rest stop.

I'm known to start feeling drowsy after 1 hour of driving or so since I'm only in a car 4 times a month or less. My normal commute consists of sleeping on the NYC Subway, not for the faint of heart!

And yes, I going to buy a backup battery for my phone...

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Pete, you could always just use a car charger. If you are still using the Motorola Razr, I have an extra car charger I can give you. We should get a head count of how many radios we presently have anyway. I'll be bringing 3 with me.

·
Super Moderator
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, still have the Razr. I'd still be using my StarTac from 1999 but I wanted Bluetooth...

I have 2 FRS radios. I'm going to update the 1st post with the radio count.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Yup, still have the Razr. I'd still be using my StarTac from 1999 but I wanted Bluetooth...

I have 2 FRS radios. I'm going to update the 1st post with the radio count.
I never had any success with the StarTacs. They were fairly fragile and kept dying on me. Next time I see you, I will give you a car charger. They are also useful for recharging the FRS radios or any other device with a mini USB port.

·
Super Moderator
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't be shy, let me know if you would like to see changes or tweaks on our routes! Google makes it easy to move stuff around.

What I am surprised with is that there are no gas stations in Fontana Village. Robbinsville has the highest concentration of stations (BP, Exxon, Mobil, etc) in the area.

·
Super Moderator
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Even the lowest priced Garmin units are full of good features.

The most useful feature for me right now is multiple waypoint routing. Basically I can input all the waypoints I have on Google now and follow the route precisely.

Unfortunately this feature is only available on the higher end ($300+) models.

As we get closer to the event, we may do something that has worked well on our Nor'Easter runs. Instead of having a whole caravan of 10+ cars, we'll break up into smaller groups and stagger the starts. Each group will have a "lead" and that person better know the route or know how to program their GPS well!

·
Super Moderator
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Blue Ridge Parkway is open and ready to ride !! Only section closed is south of Asheville near Mt. Pisgah. Park officials have indefinitely closed a 1.5-mile section of the Parkway near Mt. Pisgah - south of Asheville. Barricades
are at the Bad Fork Valley Overlook at milepost 399.7 and the Wash
Creek Valley Overlook at milepost 401.1. Easy ride-around.
Can someone more familar with the area tell us if this will affect our route for Monday heading for lunch at the Mt. Pisgah Inn?

2725 Roanoke St, Christiansburg, VA 24073 to 35? 25' 56.94", -83? 49' 16.49" - Google Maps

As you can see, we approach the Mt. Pisgah in from the north on Rt. 151 before it merges with the Blue Ridge. I'd like to know if this closure will affect that portion of the Blue Ridge we'll be on.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Pete,

The closure certainly seems to be right in your path of travel. I cannot find a map with the BRP mileposts documented directly on the route. But I know 410 milepost is at or near the Rt. 276/BRP junction. My best guess is that mile posts 399-401 are South of the Pisgah Inn. Which stinks, because you would drive to have lunch, then have to return back towards Asheville and then take NC Route 191, NC Route 280, and US Route 276 to the portion of the Parkway, beyond the rock slide.

To help keep you on track, my recommendation is to have lunch in Asheville, then take NC Route 191, NC Route 280, and US Route 276 to the portion of the Parkway, beyond the rock slide.

Mt. Pisgah Inn is great, lunch is okay...so-so...and views are incredible, but nothing you cannot see at another pull over observation point.

Or find yourself a good turkey fryer.

·
Super Moderator
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From the Pisgah Inn website:

ROAD NOTICE: Due to weather and road issues, the access to the Inn is limited to US Highway 276. Please do not try to get to us using other routes (Highway 191 or 151). We will do our best to keep you informed as to current road conditions. But, for now, please plan to use Highway US276 to get to Pisgah Inn.
We'll look for a lunch stop around Ashville for that Monday.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Soundz like you got it under control Pete! Back in Feb we thought we would have a problem with some Nissans. Now we have rockslides and closed roads to deal with.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Route for Tuesday, 5/18 modified due to road closure. New map shown.
Nice work, Pete. May I suggest that, once our itinerary for the week is finalized, all legs of the trip be provided in one communication so that each of us can get these Google routes uploaded into our GPSs. For those who cannot upload directly from a PC, start and finish points for each leg would be helpful in case participants get separated from the group.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Pete,
Your recent email suggested checking for latest itinerary...has the one at the beginning of this thread changed or do you expect it to?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts