Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Nordic Skiing on Thursday ......

Hoosier Pass area .... 11,500ft / 3505m

Mt. Bross (14,172ft / 4320m) and Mt. Lincoln (14,286ft / 4354m)

Colorado has 58 peaks over 14,000ft / 4267m elevation

Breckenridge ....

Frisco Nordic Center

Top down ride home at 37f .... Quandry Peak ( 14,265ft / 4348m) on the left

·
Registered
241 Posts
Gorgeous! Thanks for the pictures.
I live in the mountains, but a bit more modest than yours. Where you have 11,000 foot passes the peaks around here are at 10,000 feet or less. Still, wherever there are mountains, there are great roads.
BW

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's awesome I was out in Utah today also driving a bunch of the mountain passes. Looks like you guy's are getting screwed on snow also this year. We're about 60% of normal here in Northern Utah while Southern Utah sits about 160% normal. All the storms went south this season. So much for the ski season and welcome bicycle season. :banana:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Chicane,
You're right about the snow conditions, I keep telling myself this was a good year to ding up my knee and have my ski season halted the first of January. I was just in southern Utah and was surprised by the amount of snow there.
It looks like Werks, because of the extra altitude, has plenty of snow to slide on though--and those are truly beautiful mountains (and not a bad car either).
Where in Utah are you? I'm in Mountain Green near Snowbasin.
BW

·
Registered
24 Posts
Chicane,
You're right about the snow conditions, I keep telling myself this was a good year to ding up my knee and have my ski season halted the first of January. I was just in southern Utah and was surprised by the amount of snow there.
It looks like Werks, because of the extra altitude, has plenty of snow to slide on though--and those are truly beautiful mountains (and not a bad car either).
Where in Utah are you? I'm in Mountain Green near Snowbasin.
BW
I live in Park City. Hey I was wondering what kind of condition is the old Snowbasin Road in? I remember good corners on that old road.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
What happen to the post? I was looking forward to the pixs.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Chicane,
You're not too far away.
The old Snowbasin road is a blast to drive. Last year I drove it a couple times and it's still in pretty good condition and rarely anyone on it--usually more bicycles than anything. I'll wait for a good rain to wash the grit off before I hit it this year.
I'll keep my eye out for you, I'm in the neighborhood just off Trapper's Loop above the Sinclair.
BW

·
Registered
476 Posts
I know that not all nordic skis have metal edges, but if yours do, BE CAREFUL!

I shaved some paint off my truck once when the skis fell over, so I'm careful not to lean them up against painted surfaces any more.

Nice pics, thanks for posting them!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I know that not all nordic skis have metal edges, but if yours do, BE CAREFUL!
Lightweight track / skate skiis have no metal edges, plus I was "very" careful not to let them touch the doors for this pic.
I know what you mean however, as I once scratched a car when a plastic folding kayak case slid across the door ,
luckily not a Porche :) ... Thanks, Tom

The skiis wouldn't fit in the car with the one-piece wind-deflector and the top up, so I carried the deflector in the rear trunk
and attached it for the top down ride home. It makes a huge difference on a cool day.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Rocky Mountain High. Today was a beautiful day in CO and I had to participate in the fun. Tried heading for home several times but I ended up taking detour on top of detour and wound up far from home. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Rocky Mountain High. Today was a beautiful day in CO and I had to participate in the fun.
That looks awesome Redbear. I have recently ordered a Cayman S for delivery in Denver late summer. I can hardly wait to take it up into the mountains.

P.S. Nice looking wheels - aftermarket? I stuck with the stock 18" Cayman S II's for the time being.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Tanajib, what did you end up spec'ing out?

Those are 18" BBS GT RS wheels I put on after I got the car. I'm keeping my 18" Cayman S II's for use with track tires.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Tanajib, what did you end up spec'ing out?

Those are 18" BBS GT RS wheels I put on after I got the car. I'm keeping my 18" Cayman S II's for use with track tires.
My original configuration in the link:
http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-chat/42436-ordered-my2011-cayman-s.html

I've also added some interior items; deviated carpet in black, leather on steering column, and a few bits in exterior color. It should be an awesome build. Good call on keeping the stock 18's for track use - I am thinking of doing the same. Do you run a separate set of winter tires also?

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Rocky Mountain High. Today was a beautiful day in CO and I had to participate in the fun. Tried heading for home several times but I ended up taking detour on top of detour and wound up far from home. :)

Yes, sir, I stole those photos as my own and you cannot stop me now from enjoying them forever!

Redbear, those are fantastic photos!

Werks, those photos are long-gone; they're mine now!

You guys are killing me here in OH; we have no mountains, no foothills, let alone Snow Without Salt! You guys are killing me!

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
That's a great spec you've got coming. Looks like everyone has suggested their favorite item you left out, so I'll do the same: heated steering wheel. It's one of the cheapest options available from Porsche and would (probably) come in handy in these parts. I went to tick the option myself and the dealer said the order was locked (both good news & bad news at the time). Anyway, I just now use gloves instead.

I'm running Continental DWS all-season tires on the BBS wheels. I'd rather use these wheels most of the time and the Conti's give me a nice compliant ride around town. There's only really a few days in the year when there's snow on the roads, so I thought that winter tires were not really needed. The DWS tires also do pretty good in light snow. I plan to use the stock Bridgestone RE050 summer tires on the track.

(Werks, sorry to co-op your thread.)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.