Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there!

I recently purchased my first Porsche, a 2011 Gen 2 Cayman in Black. It ticked all of my boxes, specifically as it is a PDK auto.

Having highly modified my previous car, a 2009 VW Scirocco (TDi), I still have the modding bug in me and plan to turn the cayman into a (hopeful) award winning show car. My build deadline is March 2018, which is the beginning of next years show season - so it's going to be a busy and expensive winter!

Here are some pictures of my Scirocco and the Cayman as it currently stands:

In the past couple of weeks of ownership, I have:
- Applied my personalised plate
- FULL LED Interior bulb upgrade - every bulb to LED
- LED replacement licence plate light units
- Replacement Interior Airbag switch (old one had cracked!)
- Replacement Genuine Porsche owners manuals and new Leather carry case (for some reason the previous owner didn't have any of the user manuals!)
- MTec Cosmos Blue Headlight bulb upgrade
- MTec Cosmos Blue Foglight bulb upgrade
- Full rear bumper respray (it had some scuff marks on it, just a general tidy/freshen up)

My future plans include:
- Custom cat-back rear silencer delete with dual tips (booked in for next Tuesday)
- Airlift suspension with 3p Management (yes, this is going to cause a big stir amongst the owners club I'm sure!)
- New wheels
- Tinted Sun strip (booked in for Friday)
- Refurb the brake callipers (unsure on colour yet)
- Aftermarket rear spoiler/wing
- Custom make my own front splitter and side skirts

I'm sure the "future plans" list will continue to grow but hope you guys like it! Lots of updates to follow...

Tom

·
Registered
489 Posts
Welcome to our planet! I love what you've done to the VW and looking forward to follow the transformation of your Cayman :) I have a 2010 Cayman base and have done a couple things to it: Cayman R suspension, rear wing, Carnewal GT exhaust mod, stripes, wheels, etc. I am looking for 200-cell headers as my next mod, as I track my car, so extra power and better sound is always welcome. Our cars' exhaust bottleneck is in the headers, since Porsche engineers crammed two cats in each manifold, likely to keep California clean air fanatics happy.

Take a look at this one for show car inspiration:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums...s-ruf-fascia-997-headlights-fenders-kwv3.html

Cheers!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to our planet! I love what you've done to the VW and looking forward to follow the transformation of your Cayman :) I have a 2010 Cayman base and have done a couple things to it: Cayman R suspension, rear wing, Carnewal GT exhaust mod, stripes, wheels, etc. I am looking for 200-cell headers as my next mod, as I track my car, so extra power and better sound is always welcome. Our cars' exhaust bottleneck is in the headers, since Porsche engineers crammed two cats in each manifold, likely to keep California clean air fanatics happy.

Take a look at this one for show car inspiration:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums...s-ruf-fascia-997-headlights-fenders-kwv3.html

Cheers!
Thank you, that looks incredible! 200-cell headers are a good idea, something I think I will do at a later date too :)

I fitted a tinted sunstrip on Friday, makes the front end look so much more aggressive*- I love it! Only trouble was trying to re fit the interior mirror - I*learnt the hard way that pushing the mirror back on too hard has its consequences and I stupidly*ended up cracking the windscreen... what a nightmare.*I'm hoping to get a new windscreen (and new sunstrip) this week - expensive lesson learnt though!!

I also changed the side repeated bulbs to some chrome ones to get rid of the orange. Here are some pics

New sunstrip (before I attempted to fit the mirror and cracked the windscreen)...

Osram side repeater bulbs:

Before:

After:

Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Best of luck, but you're right I don't get the whole 'stance' thing, especially on a Porsche. Why would a street car need far more negative camber than a race car? How does that look good?
Haha I agree with your point on negative camber - don't worry, it won't have wonky wheels :D

hi there tom!

sorry to hear about the windshield incident. Speedy recovery.

What theme are you planning for the modifications? is it similar to the roc?
Hey! Yes, similar style - as above, I think it's going to cause a stir amongst the owners club but we will see!

So the new exhaust was fitted yesterday and I love it! It is pretty loud, the video doesn't do it justice. It's great for the time being but I can see myself adding a silencer or reducing the noise at some point - between 3-4K rpm it is deafening!!

Heres a video:

https://youtu.be/LMiCcdAwmo8

All feedback welcome, turn your speakers up and enjoy!

Tom

·
Registered
489 Posts
Your Cayman now sounds like an angry beast! I can see how it can get annoying after a while :)
So are you now running straight pipes as your cat back? And I don't see a a dual exhaust tail pipe.
By the way if you are keeping the stock tip, consider buying a Y-pipe, it will help to improve flow at the exit.
https://www.panjo.com/buy/y-tail-pipe-for-cayman-boxster-987-987-2-981-369964

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your Cayman now sounds like an angry beast! I can see how it can get annoying after a while :)
So are you now running straight pipes as your cat back? And I don't see a a dual exhaust tail pipe.
By the way if you are keeping the stock tip, consider buying a Y-pipe, it will help to improve flow at the exit.
https://www.panjo.com/buy/y-tail-pipe-for-cayman-boxster-987-987-2-981-369964
Thank you! Yes definitely, a Y pipe is something I would like to do in future, i've added it to the list :D

I took a trip down to Porsche in Portsmouth for an open day yesterday where i also*picked up a GT3 RS Grill which I plan on fitting in the near future. I also tinted my front fog lights, just because I had some tint film spare from a previous car. I am not 100%, but i've kept it on for the time being!

Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally spent the weekend fitting the H&R Springs to the car. What an absolute nightmare! Porsche quote it as a 10 hour labour job, to which I thought was an exaggeration - I would've been happy if I could've done it within 10 hours! It took all day Saturday, and all day today to complete. Probably at least 15 hours work total.

The rears were much harder than the fronts, mainly because the driveshaft had*to come out to take the rear strut out. Not only that, but a couple of bolts had seized on the rear.

Many (many) swear words and head scratches later, we finally completed it. I also fitted some new Philips Racing Vision (+150% brighter) headlight bulbs (they are incredible for halogen!!!), some gel numberplates and upgraded to some flat wiper blades. All in all, a productive weekend...

Here are some during and after pics!

I've only driven the car 20 miles or so since the springs have been on. First impression is very good - ride height is so much better, this is the height cayman's should have been from factory! Ride quality isn't compromised which was one of my biggest worries.

Spacers/new wheels however are desperately needed and definitely on the agenda now...
Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks olegd!

Small update, the car got treated to a full four wheel toe and camber alignment yesterday after the new springs went on last week. As expected, it was all over the place. All aligned properly, the car is a million times better to drive - a lot more responsive and a huge amount more fun!

The springs have also settled a fair bit, I’m really happy with the height as it is. Lower than standard, but not too low that it’s impractical.

Time to get some more bits ordered!
Tom

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
The springs have also settled a fair bit, I’m really happy with the height as it is. Lower than standard, but not too low that it’s impractical.

Tom
Your car looks great! Thanks for the pics and the details, I've been looking to do the same thing "Lower but not too low, without changing the ride comfort".

How much lower is your car now, did you measure before and after? Also could you provide the details of the exact size and model of springs you bought. Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think you need a wing! Check out Jon's sale. I have his front splitter on my Cayman and like it a lot.
http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-...e-scoops-composite-concepts-holiday-sale.html
Me too! It will come in time, but I definitely need one!

Your car looks great! Thanks for the pics and the details, I've been looking to do the same thing "Lower but not too low, without changing the ride comfort".

How much lower is your car now, did you measure before and after? Also could you provide the details of the exact size and model of springs you bought. Thanks!
Thank you! Here is the item code and the springs I purchased: H/R29168-1 H&R SPRING KITPORSCHE CAYMAN & S 05>. Unfortunately I can't comment on how much lower it is as I didn't measure before and after, but it is around 35mm lower.

A couple of small updates!
Fitted a GT3 RS grill to the front bumper and a tinted sunstrip, then took the car down to The New Forest last weekend and gained a few extra bhp...

I also bought some black mesh to fit behind the GT3 RS grill. I was originally going for silver but I feel black is more subtle. Will hopefully be fitting this weekend...

I had lots of intentions to throw a huge amount of money at the car over winter, however our house has taken priority which has left little money left over for mods unfortunately. Still, slow progress is better than no progress I guess!

Spacers are on order and should be here soon, I am booking the car in for some more exhaust fabrication - I am putting a silencer in the system as the straight through is just too much for a daily driver (plus my neighbours aren't very impressed:D) and I am looking at respraying the front end - including colour coding the side splitters (similar to the Cayman R) and smoothing the front end to get rid of the nasty number plate holes.

Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Front bumper came off yesterday to fit the mesh behind the gt3 grill. Looks so much better now, very happy with the outcome.

Also popped along to Ergen Motorsport’s BHP breakfast meet this morning.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Tom

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.