Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question for ya'll that tow your cars all the time. I have my car loaded up on a steel flatbed trailer. The trailer plus car are around 5000 pounds. I'll be towing with an F150. I've got the car pulled up so the tongue weight is right around 9%-10%. I'm having a tough time bringing it up much further. Do you think that tongue weight is sufficient? I'm using through the wheel straps and tie downs straight to d-rings. I'll have a tough time getting the car further forward, but could add some weight to the front hatch if necessary.
:thanks:

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
I agree, the usual recommendation for the tongue weight, is for about 10% of the total weight. Because of the mid-engine layout of the car, I usually add about 50 lbs ballast (in the form of my tool box) to the front trunk. I think that if your hitch sags noticeably when you hook up the trailer, then you are probably fine.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I had a little bit of an issue on my Trailex until I added the tire rack and then put 8 wheels and tires on the rack. Then I had to move the car back a bit. I used the 10% figure.

I don't worry about this anymore as I have gone back to driving my car to the track.

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In case you haven't seen it, here's a pretty good guide on towing trailers:

Trailer Loading and Towing Guide

You are in the recommended range (at the low end) for a two axle trailer, according to the above source.
Thanks! I actually have their scale.

I agree, the usual recommendation for the tongue weight, is for about 10% of the total weight. Because of the mid-engine layout of the car, I usually add about 50 lbs ballast (in the form of my tool box) to the front trunk. I think that if your hitch sags noticeably when you hook up the trailer, then you are probably fine.
That info helps a lot. What do you use as a ballast?

I think you are getting to the point where a weight-equalizing hitch would make for a much better handling rig. They make everything feel very solid.
I was trying to avoid it if possible. If it is too unsteady, I'll go that route.

Have you tried backing the car onto the trailer?
I tried that, but it put 900 - 1000 lbs on the hitch. The front of the car would be hanging off the trailer to drop that down to 600-650 lbs.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
I think you are getting to the point where a weight-equalizing hitch would make for a much better handling rig. They make everything feel very solid.
. . . That info helps a lot. What do you use as a ballast? . . .
My tool box itself (when loaded with tools, spare brake pads, extra oil, etc) weighs close to 50 lbs. It pretty much fills the front trunk.

I tow with a Ford Expedition (essentially an F-150) and my car/open trailer combo is also around 5000 lbs on a standard hitch, and have no major problems with handling at speeds up to 70-75 mph. I may get a little sway with crosswinds and rough surfaces, but it is controllable.

I'm sure an equalizer hitch might make it even better, but I'm not sure that it's necessary for the relatively short distances I usually tow (150 miles each way), and would be a bit more cumbersome to hook-up on my trailer. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Try actually towing and see what it's like. Even though their call for 10% tongue weight, that's alot of weight. I think you will find it's fine.
You might want to consider Rennline's tow hook for your tie downs. There alot easier to do that the wheel wraps.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Since Porsches tend to be rear heavy compared to other cars the thing to do is to get the trailer made with axles closer to the rear. My open trailer was purchased from Econo trailer and they moved the axles back 10 inches for me at the factory. That way tongue weight is reasonable when the car is loaded.

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was able to get it appropriately balanced and towed it 350 miles last night. There were 30 mph winds and thunderstorms and it still towed great! Thanks for the help all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.