Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first purchased my car (718 Boxster S), it came with a deflated tyre. My Dealer fixed it at the first service.
In the 18 months since I've had it, it has had (1) flat front passenger side tyre (2) punctured rear driver's side tyre (3) punctured passenger side tyre.
I've just had the rear passenger side tyre repaired again today - two nails through the tyre.
The tyre place (BobJane T-Mart) noticed wear on front tyres and queried if I've had an alignment recently. Yes I have !! Three weeks ago from Porsche who charged $AUD250. BobJane did it again and suggested I ask for a refund from the Dealer. Total cost - Repair 2 punctures in tyre + wheel alignment $AUD165.
I'm not sure if the tyres (Goodyear Eagle F1) are susceptible to damage or if there is a lot of debris on our roads from construction around Sydney CBD.
Anyway - it's irritating and expensive to repair.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Drive in better places

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I found I pick up more road debris based on how well the economy is doing, LOL. More construction equals more contractors running around with crap falling off the back of their pickup trucks. The size and tread design (driving and handling performance) also seems to contribute. I've had a few nails and screws and the most frustrating are those that can't be repaired because they are too close to the shoulder of the tire. Then replacement is required and the dilemma of deciding how many to replace when mileage is border line. It gets expensive but, unfortunately, it seems to be the nature of our automobile choice. Stay safe.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
I would say it is the construction. We had a hail storm role through our area last year which required almost all of the the roofs to be replaced. For the next six months a lot of flat tires started occurring. It was almost always a roofing nail that caused the flat. The wide tires on these cars seem to like nails and screws.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
I can believe that. After we had our roof done I was picking up nails in the driveway and around the house for years; like 10.

·
Registered
250 Posts
<snips>I'm not sure if the tyres (Goodyear Eagle F1) are susceptible to damage or if there is a lot of debris on our roads from construction around Sydney CBD.
Anyway - it's irritating and expensive to repair.
My rear PZero picked up a 'fatal' 8 cm stick as I drove by a brush cutting site.😞I suspect it's the combination of wide tyres and soft rubber. I don't think I'll convert to skinny, hard tyres though.

I can believe that. After we had our roof done I was picking up nails in the driveway and around the house for years; like 10.
When I had my roof done there were nails left everywhere. I let the roofing company know that the payment of their bill depended on their fulfilling their contract to leave a clean site. It was amazing how fast that got action.😀

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
OP, I punctured the SAME rear passenger tire twice in 10 days. Yes, you read that correctly ... TWICE in 10 calendar days. Also consider that I drove total of less than 160 km (less than 100 miles) in those ten days. And that was not even a month ago.

Now for the kicker. Do you know what was found in the tire the second time? Effing PEN CLIP! You know? That thing that makes it hang on the shirt pocket? Yes, that. Unbelievable.

Right now, in 3 years, 11 months and 360 days of ownership (anniversary on June 1st :) I succeeded to destroy one wheel and puncture/destroy 5 or 6 tires - lost the count.

The only explanation I have is that 981 makes you take racing line (while still only using your own lane, of course) more so than any other car and thus your tires go more often through crap thrown to the edge of the road by others who drive on the center of the lane all the time with thick tires that just shrug off the debris and throw it to the edge. Anyway, that is my story and I'm sticking to it :ROFLMAO:

The above is a bit tongue-in-cheek, I tend to drive racing (or, better, proper) line in anything on 4 wheels, but somehow 981 is truly a champ in destroying the tires.

Enjoy your car in good health.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts