Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I might be getting a 2007 2.7 next week. I will be meeting the owner on the road to do the switch. What tools will I need to swap plates? If it all goes down I will surly be back with a post and that banana that jumps up and down..!! Thanks, C.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Good question because the answer is not so cut and dry. I just replaced my "temp" tag that the dealer put on. They used a 20 mm "hex" screw. I was very lucky to have a tool to fit it. I don't know why they used this type of screw? I know no one is going to steal my carbon fiber frame unless they are carrying a complete tool kit with them. The screw was very delicate and looked real easy to strip the head if you didn't have the correct tool.

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
Yes definitely hex for rear. Mine did not have front plate attachment so cannot say if you need hex for fronts but I would also bring a set of flat heads and philips just in case.

If you are going meet on the "road", meet at a popular location or where there are people around. Also check the front trunk to ensure the repair kit is there. If you get a flat on the way home, at least know where the seal kit is. Make sure there is sufficient gas in the tank. If there isn't, on the way there make a note of where the Chevron or Shell gas station is in case you need to fill up. Bring some non-static cleaning towels.

Have the owner walk you through the operations of the car. Somewhere on this forum is a checklist to buy a used Cayman. Have that handy. Bring a digital camera and take pictures interior / exterior as you walk around.

Don't smile too much on the drive and pretend like owning a Porsche is a normal thing for you. Well that one I cannot help myself everytime I get in the car.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks... The car is going through a Porsche dealer ppi this Sat. I think that will go well as I've already been in contact with the owner and the dealer. The rondevous should be customary but... you never know. I don't want something like plates to be a hassle at this point. C.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Good question because the answer is not so cut and dry. I just replaced my "temp" tag that the dealer put on. They used a 20 mm "hex" screw. I was very lucky to have a tool to fit it. I don't know why they used this type of screw? I know no one is going to steal my carbon fiber frame unless they are carrying a complete tool kit with them. The screw was very delicate and looked real easy to strip the head if you didn't have the correct tool.
20 mm? Do you mean 2.0 mm?

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
I don't think I have an answer yet... C.
I just got home and checked and mine are NOT hex screws. They are T-20 (6 point star) screws.

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
The car gets a ppi today and the dealer is going to check them, make sure I can get them loose "in the field" and tell me what I need. Thanks, C.
Then one option is to have the dealer remove the plates. We flew to Reno (where the car was) and had Porsche dealer there do PPI. Previous owner had custom plates so he removed them. We drove from Reno back to Seattle with no plates - 770 miles. Just the signed owner's papers and Nevada DMV sales transfer paper. We were sort of concerned so had all the paperwork ready in the glovebox. Nobody paid attention.

On the relatively remote highways, I let her rip to have some fun. But on the big Freeway, I let my wife drive since she is a bit more sane. We stayed under the radar that way blending in with traffic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.