Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Stupid College Kid
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TopGear UK Catless Header & Valvetronic Exhaust Install/Review

Hello Everyone,

My name is Nicholas and I have been a member for a while but haven't posted recently due to school but wanted to detail my install and review of the TopGear UK catless race headers and valvetronic exhaust on my 987.1 Cayman S

I previously had the FVD race exhaust with stock headers but wanted the ability to have a quiet and loud mode for some time. I recently saw a member here post about their experience with TopGear UK headers and it seemed like a pretty cost effective option for headers. I then found out on their website that they offered a valvetronic exhaust. Comparing pictures of their products to competitors, at first glance it seemed like they would perform fine to me. I didn't want to shell out $5k for an exhaust setup. I called them and they gave a free shipping discount to the states. Out the door total it was about $1500 which seemed pretty damn good to me for a new exhaust setup. I didn't see anyone in the states that was selling this setup used so I pulled the trigger.

Both packages arrived in a week. Everything was packaged nicely and bubble wrapped. Upon inspection, the welds and flanges seem very good. I didnt see any holes or porosity in their welds. The headers came with gaskets and hardware. The exhaust came with gaskets, hardware, and the valvetronic switch components.

The exhaust build quality seemed very good as well and looking on the inside of the muffler it seems that with valves open it's pretty much a straight pipe lol. The valvetronic system came with plenty of vacuum tube, two remote, a solenoid and the rf module to switch it open and closed.

The install didnt take much time but there were some fitment issues. Maybe if I spent the $4k more maybe that wouldn't have happened but it wasnt anything impossible. I remove my previous exhaust and bolted up the headers first. The drivers side header to the engine lined up fine but the passenger side header had one hole that was maybe a 1mm off. I just loosened every bolt from the flange to the engine and wiggled the header until the bolt threaded in place. The main fitment issues were from the downtube/exhaust flange the header. After I bolted up the rear portion of the exhaust using the supplied mounts, the flanges on both sides were probably 1 inch off the centerline of the header flange to the outside. It took quite a bit of elbow grease to get each flange to align and bolt together. After that the rest of the hardware install went smoothly.

I currently dont have the electrical tools to wire the vacuum switch properly so I tapped the vacuum lines from the valves into the cabin into a harbor freight vacuum pump. Seems to work great so far lol.

So far my first impressions are the car is FREAKING LOUD with the valves open omg! Its probably twice as loud at WOT then my previous setup, but with the valves closed its quieter by a good amount maybe half. I'll get to get some videos of it today. The drone of the car is reduced by half around that 2-3k rpm range which I'm happy about as now its more daily drivable. The tone is alot more raspy and throaty but man is it loud lol! Overall I'd say I'm satisfied with the result and how much I paid for , I think the sound will grow on me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: TopGear UK Catless Header & Valvetronic Exhaust Install/Review

I have the topgear exhaust for my .2 cayman as well. I ordered it in May and finally have gotten to installing it this weekend! Swapping the exhaust itself was straight forward. I still need to plumb and install the controller and vacuum hoses.

I don't think it's "freaking loud," but it's pretty loud. But, I've only done a cold start on it and rev'd it a couple of times after the idle slowed down. I haven't driven it with a load, etc. Haven't gotten around to it since I have the car up on the quickjack and I'm too lazy to take it off for a drive and then put it back on.

On another note, I'm having an issue plugging the solenoid into the harness during my test fit. I shot an email off to Topgear, but I don't expect to hear back until Weds due to new year's (Maybe they're open on Monday, who knows!) Their customer service pre-order and during shipping has been great. So I don't expect anything less. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
832 Posts

Looks like a beautiful exhaust. Unfortunately with no Cats it wouldn't pass the smog tests here in CA and I wouldn't want to do a pull and replace once every other year. But have fun!

·
Registered
2013 981
48 Posts

I just bought a 2013 981 and it came with that exhaust. I see where the previous owner had the valves wired shut...ugh :( .... My valve is not operating when I hit the remote control so i must investigate. Where would the vacuum solenoid be mounted? Thanks!! Great write up!!! btw...new to the forum...very helpful...thanks all!!!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts

Nicholas, Great pictures of the header system. Trying to get on the list.
Thanks, Ken

·
Registered
2008 Porsche Cayman S
1 Posts
TopGear UK Catless Header & Valvetronic Exhaust Install/Review

Hello Everyone,

My name is Nicholas and I have been a member for a while but haven't posted recently due to school but wanted to detail my install and review of the TopGear UK catless race headers and valvetronic exhaust on my 987.1 Cayman S

I previously had the FVD race exhaust with stock headers but wanted the ability to have a quiet and loud mode for some time. I recently saw a member here post about their experience with TopGear UK headers and it seemed like a pretty cost effective option for headers. I then found out on their website that they offered a valvetronic exhaust. Comparing pictures of their products to competitors, at first glance it seemed like they would perform fine to me. I didn't want to shell out $5k for an exhaust setup. I called them and they gave a free shipping discount to the states. Out the door total it was about $1500 which seemed pretty damn good to me for a new exhaust setup. I didn't see anyone in the states that was selling this setup used so I pulled the trigger.

Both packages arrived in a week. Everything was packaged nicely and bubble wrapped. Upon inspection, the welds and flanges seem very good. I didnt see any holes or porosity in their welds. The headers came with gaskets and hardware. The exhaust came with gaskets, hardware, and the valvetronic switch components.

The exhaust build quality seemed very good as well and looking on the inside of the muffler it seems that with valves open it's pretty much a straight pipe lol. The valvetronic system came with plenty of vacuum tube, two remote, a solenoid and the rf module to switch it open and closed.

The install didnt take much time but there were some fitment issues. Maybe if I spent the $4k more maybe that wouldn't have happened but it wasnt anything impossible. I remove my previous exhaust and bolted up the headers first. The drivers side header to the engine lined up fine but the passenger side header had one hole that was maybe a 1mm off. I just loosened every bolt from the flange to the engine and wiggled the header until the bolt threaded in place. The main fitment issues were from the downtube/exhaust flange the header. After I bolted up the rear portion of the exhaust using the supplied mounts, the flanges on both sides were probably 1 inch off the centerline of the header flange to the outside. It took quite a bit of elbow grease to get each flange to align and bolt together. After that the rest of the hardware install went smoothly.

I currently dont have the electrical tools to wire the vacuum switch properly so I tapped the vacuum lines from the valves into the cabin into a harbor freight vacuum pump. Seems to work great so far lol.

So far my first impressions are the car is FREAKING LOUD with the valves open omg! Its probably twice as loud at WOT then my previous setup, but with the valves closed its quieter by a good amount maybe half. I'll get to get some videos of it today. The drone of the car is reduced by half around that 2-3k rpm range which I'm happy about as now its more daily drivable. The tone is alot more raspy and throaty but man is it loud lol! Overall I'd say I'm satisfied with the result and how much I paid for , I think the sound will grow on me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Hi Nicholas,
I just want to gather your input on how this set up is working for you. I am also looking to pull the trigger on the topgear long tube headers, as i can't commit of spending tons of cash for a Soul or Fab speed headers. Any update on this set up? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Just to clarify, I bought Soul's long tube catless race headers after waiting for a couple of weeks on a backorder list from TopGear's US dealer. I am grateful for John @Soul as I got a total package deal that included a Softronic custom ECU package to tie together my induction system and the exhaust headers. This system is working fantastically, as the torque curve was increased mid rpm to completely remove the flat spot around 4000 rpm. Scott at Softronics remapped all 5 key ECU performance areas, tying together his Plenum race kit to the Soul long tube headers. I also have a Milltek exhaust/muffler/tips which sounds great on wind out without drone.

·
Registered
2006 CS manual
28 Posts
Nice, I was looking at this setup too, I think someone post similar fitment issues and yes is loud. The cans looks very similar to Soul :)

So I ended up with carnewal, loving it, maybe I’ll get the Soul exhaust later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts