Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota FT86: "the handling benchmark was the mid-engine Cayman". This is competition

If you thought that the S2000 was competition to Boxster/Cayman from the japaneses, what about this one?!

Even so, the handling benchmark was the mid-engine Porsche Cayman (which has a 45/55 weight split), and Masuda says the AS1's center of gravity is 17.7 inches high, one inch lower than a Cayman's.

See also:

http://www.planet-9.com/automotive-off-topic/62942-production-car-worlds-lowest-center-gravity.html

·
Registered
668 Posts
Re: Toyota FT86: "the handling benchmark was the mid-engine Cayman". This is competit

I don't know, Toyota has never been known for producing a road car with telepathic steering.

Having a low center of gravity is a small piece of the puzzle. Overall weight distribution, suspension configuration and settings, vehicle weight and steering feedback are also needed if they want to match a 987.

·
Banned
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Toyota FT86: "the handling benchmark was the mid-engine Cayman". This is competit

I don't know, Toyota has never been known for producing a road car with telepathic steering.

Having a low center of gravity is a small piece of the puzzle. Overall weight distribution, suspension configuration and settings, vehicle weight and steering feedback are also needed if they want to match a 987.
Remember, this is a joint venture between Toyota and Subaru...

Mr. Keiichi Tsuchiya (the 'drift king') test drove the production car and he commented as follows...

The car (FT86) is not only FUN to drive, but in terms of quality and precision of handling, the car has very much surpassed any expectations I had. More easily put, if you had blind folded me and told me this was a new creation by BMW's M department, I would not even hesitate to believe you. It's that good

·
Premium Member
921 Posts

MR2's were all excellent handling cars... Then there s the LFA...

·
Banned
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Like the Cayman, there will be also an 'R' version:

(...) chief engineer Tetsuya Tada told us that he ‘doesn’t like turbos’ and has ‘decided to reject the numeric power war’. He also said that an R version of the FT-86 was coming with less weight, Brembo brakes (our test car’s stoppers were from Hitachi), a rollcage, a larger rear wing, no rear seats and, yes, a mechanical LSD but no more power.

·
Registered
668 Posts

I'm not saying that Toyota can't build an excellent handling car, I know they can. I just don't know if they can deliver the same experience as Porsche 987 does.

Either way it is nice to see that someone lit a fire under Toyota to start building fun cars again.

I haven't read the article, has pricing already been established?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts

Everybody's benchmark is Porsche, it seems. If they come close, congrats. However, I'm not going to switch from Porsche to someone else because they may have come close. Let them race in ALMS or the Nurburgring series if you want to see if they can do it all well. Under such conditions, you are racing under the same weather conditions and every one is being scrutinized as closely as every one else to make sure they all play fair. So far, Porsche has done much better than others under such conditions, having chalked up record wins at at the Daytona 24, Le Mans, Sebring, and the Nurburgring series which include 24 hour events. This is like doing science and publishing in peer reviewed journals where you put what you've claimed out there where all the world can see, and you find out how you fare against everbody else under the same conditions. Otherwise it's like manufacturers doing a couple of fast laps at the ring and then claiming they've run it faster than anybody else, when in fact there is no sanctioned "fast lap of the 'ring" competition.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Everybody's benchmark is Porsche, it seems. If they come close, congrats. However, I'm not going to switch from Porsche to someone else because they may have come close. Let them race in ALMS or the Nurburgring series if you want to see if they can do it all well. Under such conditions, you are racing under the same weather conditions and every one is being scrutinized as closely as every one else to make sure they all play fair. So far, Porsche has done much better than others under such conditions, having chalked up record wins at at the Daytona 24, Le Mans, Sebring, and the Nurburgring series which include 24 hour events. This is like doing science and publishing in peer reviewed journals where you put what you've claimed out there where all the world can see, and you find out how you fare against everbody else under the same conditions. Otherwise it's like manufacturers doing a couple of fast laps at the ring and then claiming they've run it faster than anybody else, when in fact there is no sanctioned "fast lap of the 'ring" competition.
I sincerely hope that this Toyota can come close; this is the only way that will force Porsche to improve (or dare I dream, to reduce the price). I do believe POrsche engineers still have so much up their sleeves in improving the Cayman. When competitors come close, they will move the goal post furher. :)

·
Registered
992 Posts

If Toyota comes out with another little fighter to beat up on the Boxster, I'm all for it. Competition is good for us consumers. I have however, grown a little weary of reading so many teaser and leaked articles....I want to see the real thing already!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts

I had a 1994 Toyota MR2 Gen II .... It was a fantastic car! I'd buy another if they still made them. But, it was clearly the mid-engine layout that made it such an amazing handling car... it just came alive, the harder you pushed into any corner.

The FT86 will be fun, but I don't care how low they put the center of gravity, its still a front engine car... and that's where the magic dies for me when it comes to handling and fun-factor.

If Toyota wants to benchmark against the Cayman... the first step would be to bring back the MR2. (Gen II was amazing, Gen III was a huge disappointment, I don't know how Toyota messed that up so badly?)

·
Registered
166 Posts

Which would you choose if one of it was given to you free of charge, the Cayman or the FT-86.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts

I owned a 1989 Toyota Supra Turbo for a long time, it was an absolute blast to drive and was very easily modified. Handling.. well it was no Cayman but in every other way it was a exceptional sports car. TRD have been around forever and know what it takes to build a competitive car, like others noted I'd love to see some new competition in the "affordable" sports car market :cheers:

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts

CaymanPower has ignored this previous statement:

"My patience has reached its end.

First with regard to my engine, when it first started up in the shop at Napleton it sounded quieter than I remembered my previous engine being, but that was simply at idle. With respect to DRIVING the car, I didn't notice any engine noise differences or any smoothness differences. Sorry I should have clarified, one was idle sounds just after initial startup, the other was use sounds, meaning driving around, day to day life of the car.

There, now that I've covered that, I'm closing this topic thread. Why? I think we all know why. Any further posts by CaymanPower that do not disclose both the problem and fix for his engine/smoking condition will be removed as being nothing more than "troll bait" and against the rules of this forum.

So I expect to either see the following:

1) A new topic thread with complete details from CaymanPower about the problem and the fix for his engine.

- Or -

2) No further posts from CaymanPower"

This topic is in violation of that ruling set down and thus CaymanPower will be banned for a period not less than 30 days for this transgression and failure to divulge the problem/fix with his engine.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts

I owned a 1989 Toyota Supra Turbo for a long time, it was an absolute blast to drive and was very easily modified. Handling.. well it was no Cayman but in every other way it was a exceptional sports car. TRD have been around forever and know what it takes to build a competitive car, like others noted I'd love to see some new competition in the "affordable" sports car market :cheers:
this brings back memories ..thanks for posting.... the 1st car I bought from a dealer was an '88 Supra Turbo.. back in 1991..also the time I started dating my wife, this was the only car I kept for more than 2 years , I sold it to a Costco employee in 1997 it had 170kmiles...was my work, college car, all around..
the only thing i did to it was change the oil..lol never gave me problems.
people are telling me they still see it around in the area.. mine was dark brown with gold bbs RS replica wheels, lowered with HKS full exhaust..was a really fast and great handling car during that time.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts

I had problems with my Supra: blown head gasket (common problem) which required a complete engine rebuild, and the AFM went on it and I could not find a replacement part anywhere in the world. Ended up installing a Lexus AFM and fuel computer.. got tired of having to surf the world looking for parts. I sold the car to a guy, he drove it for two months than garaged it for the winter at his dad's house. The garage caught fire and the Supra was toast :eek: Awesome car, I have fond memories of it

·
Registered
48 Posts

It might be best to make CaymanPowers ban permanent. His MO seems to to be to stir the pot.

Here is a post by him on 1addicts as Gointoofast, same dumb (*&()&*^&:
Note that the thread is locked, look at #36.
Autocar: Britain's Best Driver's Car 2011 - Randy Pobst may be right after all! - BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

He also posted on Rennlist and has worn out his welcome.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts

Which would you choose if one of it was given to you free of charge, the Cayman or the FT-86.
My guess is that the FT will be almost half the price of a base Cayman, so, yeah, I'll take the Cayman, sell it, take the FT and the spare cash in the bank :)

Seriously, they aren't competitors anymore than an M3 or 1M are with the Cayman. But, the FT looks like a nice ride and from the preview of the prototype, it should be a welcome sports coupe to the fray :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts