Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got my Cayman back from TPC with their latest tune up just the day before the snow hit in the DC area. It was then locked up in the garage for a week until I finally started to take her to work. Still it was cold and not so nice.

Today it was finally sonny and I thought it was a good day to take her out, take some pictures and video record the new exhaust note etc.

Well it was one of those days.

The thread in the camera to mount it came lose and camera started to tilt. Adjusted that twice and at the end just left it tilted. It was still only about 38F outside and the road mostly wet even though it looks dry in the vid. So not much grip and you can enjoy watching me almost putting it in d'a ditch.

The current engine modifications of my 2006 Cayman S:

TPC turbo ATP2
X51 clutch
LWFW
catless race header
customized, selectable ECU mappings for 93 and 100 octane
boost controller 5.5 and 7psi.

Almost to exactly 3,000rpm the car sounds exactly the same as before and you can cruise at about 73mph and not notice any modifications. The car drives just like it always has. Push it past 3K and the car completely changes, the boost is still very linear but much harder and never lets off well deep into 7K rpm. The exhaust note changes radically, very raspy, very angry – really more pissed than anything.
The biggest difference to before is the throttle sensitivity.

Here is the latest dyno:

The boost controller:

The ECU map selector:

... and here is the video:
2006 Cayman S TPC turbo ATP 2 @ 520BHP on Vimeo

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
It's hard to imagine the actual sound from the vid but it sounds nice and angry :cheers:

The balance of the 98X platform showed at 2:03 and was trying to see how your face looked as it happened.

·
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It actually sounds exactly as it does on the video. You can see my eyes in my video here crystal clear in HD ;) ... took me three corrections to get her back .... had to turn the heater down some .... :hilarious:

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Wow.

But lose the 1-800 bumper sticker. A friend does accident reconstruction - serious accidents usually - and he has told me this particular bumper sticker hurts you whether an accident is your fault or not. And if you do get just pulled over? Red rag in the bull's face.

·
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 997tt has about 570bhp.
The Cayman is of course a lot more nimble, I doubt I would have been able to catch the tt yesterday.
The sound of the Cayman right now is just very raw.
From a purely acceleration stand point the tt feels a lot faster.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
well... that little correction cleared up my sinus. ;)

·
Caymaniac
5,655 Posts
You OWNED that Passat. LOL.

Sounds primeval. Scary.

·
Registered
280 Posts
sounds like my car lol... just with more octane and subsequently more balls = )

i'm so jealous of you east coasters with your 100 octane fuel hah.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Dear Schwabe, I always wanted to ask you this and I think its time. What mount did you use for your video? Where can I buy it from? And did you use a regular HD video camera? ...etc.

I have a HD Sony Video camera and a compact digital Sony photo camera that can shoot videos. Which one can I use with the mount?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Id be interested in the camera mount too. I want to take some video too.

That near wipeout makes my heart stop. I would have slit my wrists had I put my Cayman into a ditch or oncoming car.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Dear Schwabe, I always wanted to ask you this and I think its time. What mount did you use for your video? Where can I buy it from? And did you use a regular HD video camera? ...etc.

I have a HD Sony Video camera and a compact digital Sony photo camera that can shoot videos. Which one can I use with the mount?
I use a regular video camera on a Ram mount. If you search you can find sites that sell them. I can pm you the site I get them from if you wish.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts