Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Porsche Prophet
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on our wildly successful turbo kits for the 987 platform, TPC Racing is proud to release our 981 Cayman/Boxster Turbo Kit. Boosting the performance of your 981 by over 100 horsepower at the wheels and 100+ ft-lbs of torque, the TPC Racing 981 Turbo Kit provides drivers with a huge increase in performance.

As always, the 981 Turbo Kit includes an ECU tune from engineer and developer, Mike Levitas, so no additional tuning systems are required. The kit also features a conservative, 4psi boost level to preserve longevity and reliability of the engine.

At this time, we are only offering a stage 1 kit for this platform. Development is underway for further stages.

You can contact TPC Racing via email at [email protected] or phone at (410) 799-7223 for more info and pricing.

Assembled Kit-3243 copy.jpg _MG_3055.JPG IMG_3039.jpg _MG_3247.JPG

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
That's pretty awesome you were able to do this. Nice job.

More details than what is provided in the short post would be nice.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Wow. Tight fit. Not much room for an intercooler, then?

- Patrick

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
So for track use, you would recommend the intercooled version once available ( like on the 987 versions)?

·
Registered
706 Posts
a few videos of this car in action would be nice. :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
This kit is great as a performance pack, but as a work of art not so much. Do we have a choice in different exhaust tips, maybe matte or gloss black to match the GTS appearance? Maybe other shapes, like 15-degree angle-cut? Btw why tips are so close to each other, not a great look to me.
Videos in action would be great though.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
So for track use, you would recommend the intercooled version once available ( like on the 987 versions)?
For track use, we recommend our methanol injection package. We tested that on our 981 S and the inlet air temperatures were reduced and also picked up about 20whp. Once the intercooler is available, that will be a great option as well.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
This kit is great as a performance pack, but as a work of art not so much. Do we have a choice in different exhaust tips, maybe matte or gloss black to match the GTS appearance? Maybe other shapes, like 15-degree angle-cut? Btw why tips are so close to each other, not a great look to me.
Videos in action would be great though.
These are the same tips that we used for all of our 987 kits and it is the way that it comes. We typically do not paint them but if you wish to have them done, we can see what we can do to help you. I have seen clients powder coat their tips in a black to match the GTS appearance and it looks nice as well.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Does this mean you guys are no longer using a piggyback system and instead are flashing the stock ECU?

Also, any information on how this effects the oil temps?

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Does this mean you guys are no longer using a piggyback system and instead are flashing the stock ECU?

Also, any information on how this effects the oil temps?
Right now we are still using the piggyback system but working on getting into the ECU. We have had our 981 S running extremely well with this system.

In regards to oil temps, we have not seen any spikes or irregular temperatures. We put a lot of dyno miles on the car and have driven it for over a year in all types of weather conditions and on track, never seeing any spikes in temps.

·
Registered
534 Posts
What kind of warranty is on the system? Do you install the kit yourselves and if so, what kind of warranty do you provide on the install?

Lastly, a 100hp seems like a small bump in power. Were there problems going any higher than this?

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
What kind of warranty is on the system? Do you install the kit yourselves and if so, what kind of warranty do you provide on the install?

Lastly, a 100hp seems like a small bump in power. Were there problems going any higher than this?

We offer a one year warranty on the kit against any defects with the parts with the turbo kit.

In regards to the power, 100WHP is a really nice bump in power with only 4psi. We are only using 4psi to keep the reliability of your car and engine. This is the same amount of boost we run on the 987 kits and there are cars out there with over 100,000 turbo kit miles that are daily drivers that see track days as well. If you would like to increase the boost, we can speak with you and come up with a solution.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Does this work on the 2.7L and how much power gains can be expected on that engine?

It's unfortunate it doesn't work with the PSE. It's about $4000 CDN with taxes, so a bit difficult to justify the purchase that it would render the system useless.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
100hp is nice for 4psi, it's more than the spyder and GT4, at elevation where I lived, NA cars lose a lot of hp, turbo cars not so much. I have a boost controller on mine if I want more hp, honestly I never use it. 4.5psi is what I normally run on my 997 and that is more than enough.

It's unfortunate it doesn't work with the PSE. It's about $4000 CDN with taxes, so a bit difficult to justify the purchase that it would render the system useless.
There is always a market for used PSE.

I am a fan of TPC turbo'ed cars, the turbo system on my 997 is over 5 years old and is running great. Everyone warned me about turbocharging cars, all the extra maintenance, not going to be reliable, the engine isn't build for it, why bother, etc. Keep up the good work TPC!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts