Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a 2007 987.1 S client come in after experiencing oil starvation during a track event which led to engine failure. Since the owner of the car knew that there was engine failure, he wanted to put down a few ideas of how to rebuild and have us deliver him a car that would give GT3's a hard time at the track. We offered our TPC Racing 3.7L build and Stage 2 turbo kit to do the job. After an engine tear down, we found that the heads could be salvaged, but the short block had too much internal damage to build. That is when we came to the next option. We ordered a new short block from Porsche, machined the heads and touched up the valves like we would for our TPC Racing Blitzkrieg engine to start this build and mate our TPC Racing Stage 2 Turbo Kit for additional power.

Below are photos of the build and we will keep updating this thread with photos and updates as we complete the build. Another GT3 Killer will be born!

IMG_0990.jpg
IMG_0991.jpg
IMG_0992.jpg
IMG_0995.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The engine is dressed and installed! For safety, we added the LN Engineering 2 quart deep sump oil pan. This has an advanced baffling system that will slow down oil movement under lateral load. We recommend this oil pan to all of our 987 clients that will be seeing the track. Also, the turbo kit has been installed. We are going to put some street miles on the car and then it will see the dyno. It is running great!

IMG_1039.jpg
IMG_1048.jpg

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
The engine is dressed and installed! For safety, we added the LN Engineering 2 quart deep sump oil pan. This has an advanced baffling system that will slow down oil movement under lateral load. We recommend this oil pan to all of our 987 clients that will be seeing the track. Also, the turbo kit has been installed. We are going to put some street miles on the car and then it will see the dyno. It is running great!

View attachment 132986
View attachment 132994
I see your problem, blue paint on the side of the engine block ???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
You almost got it right. The Cayman S is a 2008. I am the owner of the car and am grateful to the knowledge and dedication of the team at TPC. They have been amazing in setting my car up to outperform me the driver. Last year I had TPC install a stage II turbo, sway bars, Bilstein shocks with their DSC controls. What an amazing difference. These guys at TPC took an incredible Porsche and improved upon it, giving it the HP to put it over the top and taming it with the new suspension.

The oil starvation was the result of an access plug, located on the front of the engine at the main crank shaft, "falling out". It's still a mystery as to why the plug came loose, but the results of loosing all of the oil in the engine and the engine failure were certain. Hoping to make lemon aid from the bunch of lemons I received, Tom and Harris of TPC help develop a plan to rebuild the block using Nickies Piston, Sleeves and Connecting rods. I was looking forward to the 3.7 upgrade and new compression ratios. Unfortunately the block was damaged and a new one was secured to complete the project.
I picked the car up in mid January between the snow falls of western PA. I was putting on break in miles during a cold rainy night, so I have only touched on the cars potential. It has been in storage getting an oil change and new Pagid Yellow pads. The Cayman heads for the opening track at VIR next week end to complete the break in. Looking forward to the spring. Thanks again for all of those at TPC who have been their to answer all of the big and little questions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts