Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished assembling a set of these for a Cayman Club member going for our Stage 3+ suspension... Hopefully a review will follow after we get all of the parts out :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
How do these compare to JRZ set-up you sell?

I am looking for a cayman to use mostly on the track. I will definitely be upgrading the suspension. I don't know if I should be look for a PASM model and then upgrade the damptronics or just buy moton/jrz?

My current track car is a lotus exige with JRZ RS Pro. I certainly like the way it feels on the track, but it's so hardcore I almost dread driving to and from the track. I want as hardcore as possible, but still drivable 300-400 miles to get to some other tracks.

thanks,
justin

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is no substitute for a race shock that is completely set up for a car. However, If you are looking to retain some of your DD characteristics I recommend that you go with the DampHR option.

Shoot me an email and we can discuss further... [email protected]

·
Maverick Region DE Instructor
104 Posts
As Casey recommended above, I have been looking for a tighter track setup without losing all DD characteristics, I chose the DampHR setup for my 08' CS with PASM. I intend to do a more detailed review when I fully complete the setup. There are a few items to complete including installing the rear drop links and corner balancing the car.

Until my review is complete, I thought I would post a few pics of the install so far.

Left front

Right rear

Left rear

Further information on the setup can be reviewed on the TPC website: TPCRacing 987 Pro Series Damptronic Coilovers - TPC Racing

·
104 Posts
I will be installing the rear drop links tomorrow. Chose to go race links both front and rear. The ride height is pretty much set as I like. Lowering the car makes a dramatic difference in appearance. Here are a few pics to show the difference.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Installed to date are the:
  • TPC sway bars set to: 1 from full stiff front, 1 from full soft rear
  • TPC Front race drop links
  • TPC Rear toe links
  • TPC custom Damptronic all around with Eibach springs up front
  • TPC Upgraded PASM control unit
  • Alignment currently at -2.2 front, -2.0 rear

As it relates to the driving characterstics of the DampHR setup, as you would expect, it is firmer than standard PASM. I would say that is on par with a non-PASM CS. I haven't had the opportunity to drive it on the track yet, hopefully soon. Spirited driving on local roads is amazing. The car is on rails with little to no roll during high load cornering. I can't wait to get the car to the track in order to truly see the full impact and capability of the system in sport mode.

More to come...

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,645 Posts
Looking forward to hearing how you like it on the track. TPC is doing the race mods on my existing damptronics. My suspension is identical to yours except I have camber plates up front and run -2.9

What tires are you running on the track? With that suspension & R comps you will pull some big gee's. Doing anything to improve the oiling?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Frisco, can you do us a favor and measure the ride height, from the center on the wheel caps to the straight up to the lip of the fender..

I like the look of your ride height... Looks a little low to drive over bumps though...

·
104 Posts
My suspension is identical to yours except I have camber plates up front and run -2.9

What tires are you running on the track? With that suspension & R comps you will pull some big gee's. Doing anything to improve the oiling?
-2.2 was the max we could get without grinding the mount point larger. Plan to go with GT3 control arms later. The kit comes with JRZ camber plates.

Typcially run Hoosier R80/100s or R6s. Looking to see where I can mount an accusump under the car. Have VOS, X51 pan and change the oil at a minimum once every two track weekends.

Frankin, I'll measure later this evening. Originally had it equal to the GT3 in height off the ground, it may have settled some.

·
Registered
126 Posts
"I like the look of your ride height... Looks a little low to drive over bumps though..."

Ya, the front spoiler looks like it could just about scrape the center dividing lines up off of the road. Does look nice though.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,645 Posts
I have tarret plates on mine. Ride height looks about the same as yours. I toasted my engine last season with a deep sump & AOS. Decided to go with the TTP oilsafe kit on the new engine. I think the accusump would be a good idea! LOL Engines ain't cheap! Casey is posting pics of the build.

·
104 Posts
That sucks diverdog! How many miles on the car? How frequently were you changing oil? Track time is HARD on oil. Oilsafe will be great. Trying to find a place under the car for an Accusump. Believe there is another member on the site who went this route.

As it relates to ride height, it's at 13.5" front and 14" rear. I measured a GT3 height at the shop and mine is slightly higher. So far no issues down here on TX roads.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,645 Posts
25000 miles, oil changes with Mobil 1 about every 3 events. I've heard a few engine builders don't like Mobil 1. I believe TPC recommends Red Line. I'm going to follow their guideance for type & interval.

I'll be writing up the engine failure & my experience with Porsche in the warrantee process

·
104 Posts
A quick impression of the TPC DampHR system after a track weekend. AWESOME! I have a few updated pics that I will load this week. Significant improvement in PASM performance; body roll minimized, improved weight transfer, very balanced.

If you want to keep PASM and improve on track performance, this is the system for you.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Hey Frisco,

I am getting the TPC 3+ susp w\PASM installed on my Cayman next week. and was instructed to start with sways at full soft rear, and middle front. I was wondering if you are still running at one from full soft rear and one from full stiff front? Seems since you have had a summer to play with it now, and maybe you might have some setup advice to save me some time? Appreciate any tips you might have. Hope you are still loving the suspension.

Cheers,
Ed

:cheers:

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,645 Posts
With the 3+ on tracks with a lot of high speed turns I run 1 from full stiff F & one from full soft R. The car was very tight and pushed like a pig until I cranked in some front camber -2.75. Tire wear is pretty good with BFG R1. Could still use a little bit more camber I think

On tighter tracks I change the rear to 2 from full soft. The car rotates better but of course is more likely to swap ends on the high speed stuff

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Guys remember, when you buy our products, you also gain access to our enormous expertise in setting up race cars. We are here to help all of our customers with their setups.

Because we have raced at most of the major racing facilities in the country, we can get each car dialed in for any track the driver is running. While we send all the cars out of here with a pretty standard setup, after that, it's up to you to give us some feedback! We will ask you numerous questions such as tire pressures cold/hot, spring/damper settings, alignment, driving style, and what you are experiencing while driving.

With all this information, we will use our years of pro racing experience to recommend the appropriate changes. Getting these setups absolutely perfectly dialed in for each particular driver takes a little bit of work/development. It may take several changes to get your setup perfect, but that's what we are going after....perfection!

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Thanks DiverDog and Josh.

I am a high intermediate\low advanced driver and attend DE\Track Days regularly at Sears Point, Laguana Seca, and Thunderhill. I have no racing aspirations as I am having so much FUN and do not want to ruin it by getting too serious!

I have been using R-888's, 245-275\40\18 on Champion RG5's on my Cayman S, PASM suspension + Quaife ATB Diff. I have gyrodiscs and pagids also but that is about all I have done to it. I pretty much only used the outside half of my last set of R888's and am hoping to use the entire tread on this next set if possible. I am not looking for the fastest time at any particular track, but just a well balanced set up that will work well enough at most tracks to keep me smiling. As well as the stock Cayman drives on the track, there is too much body roll for my taste, and even with PASM SPORT on, the suspension seems too forgiving. I don't like it Race stiff all the time, so PASM is staying put. I was just going to add the TPC sways, but figured I would go with the 3+ to get the added benefit of corner balancing, being able to add some negative camber, along with lowering the car and stiffening up the front some. I am thinking I should probably start with the front camber at about -2.2 to -2.5, 0 toe, rear camber about -2.0 to -2.2, with a 1/16th to 1/8th of toe, set the sway bars at full soft rear, middle front as suggested by Tom Chan of TPC, or one step more to both depending on how it seems to feel once everything is installed. As far as tire pressure, I have found the R-888's run best on my car at much higher hot pressures than one might think. I start with cold pressures of 34 F, and 36 R, and they tend run at about 42 to 45 hot with pretty good results.

Installing it next week with a track day to test it out at Sears Point on Friday. I can't wait!

Thanks again, appreciate all the helpful advice.

Cheers,
Ed

:cheers:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts