Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Now, that's pretty exciting!! I just watched the dyno on the GT2, am I being a wuss or is it really scary looking watching/hearing a car going crazy whilst stationary in a building?I suppose you get used to it. I wouldn't bat an eyelid if I was in it on a track but it always makes me wonder just 'what if' it escaped lol ;)

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You get used to it... The car is strapped down at 8 points so it really isnt going to go anywhere. We always re-tension 3-4 times before running a high hp car :)

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Remember, you have to put all that power to the ground, and the 997TT is four wheel drive. Do not get me wrong I think it is amazing. I want my Cayman to be a turbo when it grows up, but now its not the time. I still need to work on the nut behind the wheel.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Casey, I know you avoid highlighting the acceleration of the 987t from 0-62. But I remember in one of the threads you did write that the 550 hp is expected to be from the 4 to 3.8 seconds range. Am I right?

I cannot find the thread! I'd be grateful if you can lead me to it. And shed correct me if I am wrong, please. Of course my interest is for Cayman that has the same mod that mine is having:
GT3 Cup spark plugs
1 TPC custom L/W flywheel & X51 clutch
TPC Cayman S Turbo Kit, ATP:2 stage 2
Stainless steel race headers... etc.

And of course, if you have comparison figures between stage 1 & stage 2 that would be great. Don't worry, I am not holding you for any of the figures... I am just curious where would such power lead to.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
On a hot, humid Florida day (where I live), my CS can feel sluggish compared to a crisp winter day (by crisp, I mean 42 degrees Farenheit, little humidity). I noticed that the day the CS turbo was run, the humidity was a good deal higher, meaning less air to cram in the engine. Perhaps if the Cayman had been run in 8% humid conditions as the 997TT was, you might have gotten even more grunt (I realize that 28% is not really very high). I really don't know if the difference between 8% and 28% would be significant, but it's an interesting thought.

P.S. Casey, sometime within the next 5 years I will be in a position to "TPC turbo" my CS. Maybe mucn sooner. I'm hoping you guys will be offering this mod for a lot longer than that?

·
Registered
239 Posts
big difference in drivability if you just look at the lower RPM range on the street...the 997 would "feel" stronger in DD situations.[/QUOTE

Good point. But, if you look at the numbers at around 3400RPM, you'll see that the torque-to-weight ratios are very close between the two cars - and this is the point where the 997 has the largest torque advantage over the Cayman turbo. So, based entirely on the chart, I'm not convinced that the 997 would feel faster. On the other hand, in DD situations, how often are you at full throttle, with full boost, at 3400RPM?

What we don't see here is the drivability and responsiveness at part throttle, light boost, low RPM situations. I'm betting either car is quite good!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The dyno is SAE corrected, meaning it takes humidity, temp and bar pressure into account. It is considered the industry standard.

I havent posted any 0-60 times of the stage 2 kit... I guess once you get yours running you will be able to do that for me :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
ok, thought I would chime in on this one. Our best 0-60 time in the FrankinCayman was 3.9 seconds. This was on Re-11's on an 80% day in the bay area on a Very deserted road. We tried it about 20 times. Most of them where 4.1 and 4.2 though.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
The dyno is SAE corrected, meaning it takes humidity, temp and bar pressure into account. It is considered the industry standard.

I havent posted any 0-60 times of the stage 2 kit... I guess once you get yours running you will be able to do that for me :)
Do I understand that you have reading for stage 1?

Come on Casey, even Porsche announce their figures despite the fact that they manufacture track cars not drag race cars. Definitely, if not you then Mike test drive the different systems for acceleration.

Sadly from my side I cannot! Ever since I installed the 3M on the windscreen the acceleration meter cannot stay in its place. It keeps falling. And I am not sure how the car would launch with such mad power with 2WD without launch control... I mean at least the GT2 has one!

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
ok, thought I would chime in on this one. Our best 0-60 time in the FrankinCayman was 3.9 seconds. This was on Re-11's on an 80% day in the bay area on a Very deserted road. We tried it about 20 times. Most of them where 4.1 and 4.2 though.
I pray to God that you are talking about stage 1 not stage 2 Turbo and without X51 or LWFW, right? Sorry, no offense but but you are here even talking about 0-60 which doesn't count where I live as we go for 0-62 (0-100km/hr).

But thank you for shedding the light.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hassaan, the majority of cars that get these systems all get different options. On Mike's car, when we were running it we consistently got 4.1 0-60 on 93 octane, that is on stage 1.

Stage 2 is a different animal, you have multiple boost settings, and the ability to change octane ignition mapping... Getting a general stage 2 to do 0-60, you would have to include boost levels, and fuel being used.

I wouldnt be surprised if peter's car could get around the 3.7 level... depending on how hot his tires are, at that point it is all about the launch and traction..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.