Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local Planet-9 member contacted us recently about installing the newest creation from FVD, their complete 987.2 Exhaust system and Flash. We will also be doing a baseline dyno, exhaust dyno and exhaust + flash dyno.

FVD and TPC go back quite a long way and we were more than happy to help.

Here are a few pics. Josh will be updating this thread later on as parts get installed!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Interested to see the gains from the baseline.

And, what are those wheels on the croc?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thats a very nice looking exhaust.
I'm curious too see how much hp is gained with the flash and exhaust.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Casey,

Thanks for starting the thread and it was great to meet Mike and the TPC crew yesterday along with all of the amazing projects at TPC.

The build quality of the FVD exhaust is pretty impressive and I’m excited that we are going to be able to see the results in a consistent environment by someone who definitely knows how to dyno a Gen II Cayman S.

For any curious forum members, not only will we have great before and after data but I will also be doing a subjective review, sound clips an plenty of pictures.

·
Vendor
293 Posts
A local Planet-9 member contacted us recently about installing the newest creation from FVD, their complete 987.2 Exhaust system and Flash. We will also be doing a baseline dyno, exhaust dyno and exhaust + flash dyno.

FVD and TPC go back quite a long way and we were more than happy to help.
Casey,

Thanks for posting this thread. We are very pleased that you will be doing the baseline, exhaust, and software & exhaust dyno pulls. TPC has immense experience with the Caymans and we are pleased that Andrewflk chose TPC for the installation.

The build quality of the FVD exhaust is pretty impressive and I’m excited that we are going to be able to see the results in a consistent environment by someone who definitely knows how to dyno a Gen II Cayman S.

For any curious forum members, not only will we have great before and after data but I will also be doing a subjective review, sound clips an plenty of pictures.
Andrewflk,

Thanks for the initial feedback on the exhaust. We are looking forward to the review, sound clips and the pictures.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Andrew, please do a review + some video clips. I'm very close to pull the trigger for my gen 2 and I really need to here this before doing so.

Thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry for the lack of updates I have been traveling frequently and have had little time to drive the car since the install. TPC’s dynojet computer took a dump before they sent me the final dyno with software so as soon as they get it fixed I’ll post it. The dyno that is posted here is the exhaust only.

Like all of the FVD reviews, I think the sound is Porsche like and it really does sound awesome over 3k...really transforms the car (think cup car). I am experiencing some drone between 2-3K and I’m working with FVD and M&M on another muffler with a baffle to reduce the drone.

The drone is really not that bad and I definitely think the drone is more of an issue with a PDK car because of the tall 7th gear and because the PDK is so determined to keep your revs low in auto mode. I would not hesitate to recommend this configuration to someone with a manual but I would caution someone who has PDK and does find themselves trolling along frequently in heavy traffic in auto mode like I do.

FVD has been great to work with and supportive of my quest for the perfect sound with minimal drone and in about 3-4 weeks I should have a new muffler section on the car to test.

As you can see, the exhaust only dyno shows there were significant increases in the 3.5-5K torque range +28 ft-lbs at 3,600rpm and that the torque curve is really flat from 3.5 to 6.7K. Driving the car it feels like the surge that used to happen at 4.5K RPM now happens at 3.5K RPM. The peak gain was only 7hp and really was cheated from a dip that occurred right where the hp peak would have occurred at 6.6K. In fact, notice even near redline it showed a ~15hp gain. The car truly does pull harder in real world driving and more than the 7hp suggests.

I will post the software dyno as soon as TPC sends them to me but I will reserve the full blown review until we have the final muffler version installed. FVD will also be tweaking the software tune for more power as soon as soon as we can send them the air/fuel from the dyno. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Hi there. These are GREAT gains and drive ability must be vastly improved. Can you clarify if that is with "exhaust only" or "exhaust and headers" but no software?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi there. These are GREAT gains and drive ability must be vastly improved. Can you clarify if that is with "exhaust only" or "exhaust and headers" but no software?
The dyno posted is with "exhaust and headers" but no software. I had a software dyno done too but TPC's computer took a dump and is out for repair.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Since you will be experimenting with the exhaust to eliminate drone I highly recommend you try the OEM exhaust along with the headers already on your car. I found that to deliver more aggressive sound, performance gains and zero drone on Gen 1 cars. If you have the time, dynoing that solution maybe also be worthwhile.

Good luck, I am glad that you are taking a measured approach.

BTW, these FVD headers just look AWESOME.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Since you will be experimenting with the exhaust to eliminate drone I highly recommend you try the OEM exhaust along with the headers already on your car. I found that to deliver more aggressive sound, performance gains and zero drone on Gen 1 cars. If you have the time, dynoing that solution maybe also be worthwhile.

Good luck, I am glad that you are taking a measured approach.

BTW, these FVD headers just look AWESOME.
I actually thought about trying the factory muffler that but I think the FVD headers change the connection points and you have to use the whole system (but I'm not 100% sure). Although I imagine a good muffler shop could make anything work I'm confident that FVD and M&M are going to get it to sound like I want.

The FVD headers are a great design. In fact one of the comments from TPC was that they were hard to install but it was because there were no compromises (flat spots) on the design to install. The collectors are a work of art and also notice that the cats are as far back as they can be.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts