Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

In a bit of a dilemma here, I'm currently driving a lightly modded 450 bhp RS4 B7 and that's becoming a bit long in the tooth being 5 years old and it's coming time for a replacement. Been pondering replacing it with either an Audi R8 5.2 or a new 991 C2S. Both of these are pretty high on the $$$ end of things.

Alternative thinking led me to consider grabbing my missus' 987.1S instead and buying her a new 981S. We're definately planning to keep the 987.1S within the family as it is just a darn great car!

I don't track the RS4, I use it for long distance highway runs (300-450 km per way kind of thing) which I do at least once per month. During these trips the RS4 allows me to pretty much keep my pace at 260-300 km/h.

Now, the question: the 987.1S pretty much runs out of puff at ~275 km/h, with the TPC turbo in place, is there any improvement on the far end of the speed range? Any issue of heat (equatorial temperatures) in maintaining high speed for long distance?

Much appreciate the input. :thanks:

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
Hi folks,

In a bit of a dilemma here, I'm currently driving a lightly modded 450 bhp RS4 B7 and that's becoming a bit long in the tooth being 5 years old and it's coming time for a replacement. Been pondering replacing it with either an Audi R8 5.2 or a new 991 C2S. Both of these are pretty high on the $$$ end of things.

Alternative thinking led me to consider grabbing my missus' 987.1S instead and buying her a new 981S. We're definately planning to keep the 987.1S within the family as it is just a darn great car!

I don't track the RS4, I use it for long distance highway runs (300-450 km per way kind of thing) which I do at least once per month. During these trips the RS4 allows me to pretty much keep my pace at 260-300 km/h.

Now, the question: the 987.1S pretty much runs out of puff at ~275 km/h, with the TPC turbo in place, is there any improvement on the far end of the speed range? Any issue of heat (equatorial temperatures) in maintaining high speed for long distance?

Much appreciate the input. :thanks:
Which of these is the most correct?

Malaysian road rules - David Astley's website

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Speed_Limits_(Malaysia)

Reactions: Justinfranke78

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Way to go! That's decent speed,
Oh really? I didn't know. I was just cruising when I thought I'd take a shot of the dashboard. Put the gear in neutral, slowed down to search for my phone here and there then took the shot. The speed was captured in the picture and I was surprised to see others excited about it :taunt: :D

is yours 3.4 or modded to 3.7?
3.7L

Since the weather's more extreme on your end, how does the kit react to heat and long distance?
It hibernates in the summer most of the week and when I drive her in the summer the boost control would be off.

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
I'm most excited about those tires that all seem to have different pressures and how your car must ride at that speed given uneven tire pressures... :hilarious: once you break 300 then get back to me and you can join the club of 300+ kph Caymans... of course you have a long way to go to make .5 past lightspeed....

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
I'm most excited about those tires that all seem to have different pressures and how your car must ride at that speed given uneven tire pressures... :hilarious: once you break 300 then get back to me and you can join the club of 300+ kph Caymans... of course you have a long way to go to make .5 past lightspeed....
At high speeds the tire pressures vary considerably between the four tires... It doesn't affect the ride at all. Just a number. Maybe I should switch back to Nitrogen. Don't know.

Who's Cayman here made it to the 300 km/hr? :eek:

I'll attempt to test it by the end of October as the temperatures cool down... as I plan to drive to Jordan then.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Dont tell me your cayman can actually hit 300.....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi!

my Boxster 986S hit 318 km/h :dance: vlcsnap-2014-10-05-20h21m26s91.jpg

304 km/h at 7.000 rpm
318 km/h at 7.350 rpm

Next time I make a better photo!

The gearbox of the 986S is different to the 987 +981

1 - 14 of 14 Posts