Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

TPC Turbo, just do it

15K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  Casey@PorscheofSilverSpring 
#1 ·
Well, I have about 100 miles on my TPC setup, and what else can I say, just do it. Even though I did not make the open house last fall, I ordered my kit after seeing some of the DIY posts on this board; thought it would be a good winter project with snow and fog out here in Utah. My 2005 Boxster S had just over 12000 miles, and was just out of warranty, so the time was right.

Prior to the kit, with 280 crank HP from Porsche, at my altitude of 4250 ft, I was getting 244 HP off the crank due to the normal aspiration. With 25% loss from crank to wheels, that left 185-190 HP, at best, at the rear wheels.

Last night, our local performance shop ran the dyno for me: 360 HP at the Rear wheels, and the HP curve was a 45 degree angle and still wanted to climb. He only ran me to 6500 rpm, and boosted to 5.6 psi, so there was a little more to be had! Wow, what a difference. The shop owner was very impressed with the quality of the kit, and our installation. He also liked the very flat torque curve from 3300 to over 6100 rpm. We run 91 Octane pump gas out here, too.

Normal driving to the grocery store is exactly the same as before. Get your foot into the boost, and for the first couple of days, it is basically scary. I am used to it now, and love the feeling. You have such more range in how to drive the car: normal and civil, or crazy fast. It's very very nice, and I hope to send some friends over to TPC. Casey was great to set me up with the kit, and Tom answered any questions by email before noon the next day. It's been a fun winter project, and will be great this spring.

Just do it. By the time you do a flash and pipes, you are over half way there. For what,maybe 20 HP ? You decide. By the way, I have no stock in TPC, but it would not be a bad idea. Casey, when is the article coming out in Excellence?

See less See more
#3 ·
RV4pilot

Great write up ! It sounds like you own a different car now :)
The TPC Transforms our cars into a monster;)

Is the 2005 Boxster S a 3.2 Liter ? Thats an increadible amount of performance increase I am happy to her you are enjoying it

#8 ·
Re: RV4pilot

Great write up ! It sounds like you own a different car now :)
The TPC Transforms our cars into a monster;)

Is the 2005 Boxster S a 3.2 Liter ? Thats an increadible amount of performance increase I am happy to her you are enjoying it
And yours?

#5 ·
The Boxster S in 2005 is a 3.2 car. In addition to the TPC kit, you need the 3.4 Cayman throttle body; we bought thru Suncoast, so she breaths lots of that pressurized air. The install was straight forward, if you have any wrench time at all. There is probably 30 hours labor, taking it slow and being meticulous and double checking everything. I had to work the rear mount a little, to make it perfect int he opening; had the flange on the wastegate dump tube rewelded to my liking, and had the driver side exhaust pipe bent about one inch, to make everything line up. In all, very good fit, for an "off the shelf" kit. It's a great addition for my car. I have enjoyed my 2 tone interior, the sport adaptive and heated seats, etc/ and with such low miles, wanted to convert my car rather than buy again. It's the same "old" car, if you stay off the boost; then you have the option to make it scream, when you want to do so. Kind of a split personality. I think it will spoil me though, from ever driving normally aspirated again. My car has a greater relative gain than those of you on the coasts, because of my altitude loss before. It's impressive what .3 bar will do for this car. My friend has a factory t911, which boosts to .9bar; and mine feels as strong or stronger. Hopefully this spring I can get out on Miller Sport park for a day.

#10 ·
Yeah, it sucks when I hear all this stuff about TPC. There is no reason why I shouldn't 'just do it' as they are local from me. Unfortunately, I've already gone the route of the SRP and exhaust so that would be money down the drain and my other big concern is long term reliability.

Enjoy. I'm glad somebody 'just did it'!

-Moto

#12 ·
Long time lurker - first time poster.

I'm anxiously awaiting my new TPC Turbo for my '05 Boxster S. Tunerworks here in Calgary is doing in the install along with new sway bars and the B&M SSK with the EVO linkage.

Given all the talk on various boards about the IMS and RMS failures, I had both replaced for a total of $2300.00. Apparently the IMS flange has gone through 5 iterations from Porsche. I'd hate to have the new HP only to have the IMS fail but since Porsche doesn't seem to think this is a big enough problem to help out their owners, I had to foot the whole bill. **sigh**

Now....it's time for the turbo. One question for Casey though - does Ver. 2 apply to the Boxster S Turbo or just the Cayman 3.4. I want to make sure that Tunerworks ordered the best available unit.

t.

#14 ·
tOOnces, I'll just say you are going to love it in your car. Pretty sure you are getting the ver2. Let us know what you think of the bars, I am considering them now. PM me if you guys have any questions particular to the 05BoxS during the install, as we drive the same.

Dave

#15 ·
Thanks for the offer. I forgot to mention the new radiator as well. I spoke with TPC this morning and the turbo is V2.

I do have one question though - hows the sound? I love the current sonic tempo and I imagine the sound of that turbo only increases the joyeux de vive!

Now, if only I could find a decent front/back fender and side skirts (GT3 or Turbo) I'd be all set. FVD had posted some pics on another board:

FVD Brombacher - Boxster / Cayman 997 Turbo Bodykit - Need Feedback - 6speedonline.com Forums

I love that rear bumper and despite repeated attempts to contact Rhonda - nothing, nada, zip.

Cheers,

t.

#16 ·
t.
The sound is basically the same, a little louder and a little deeper and resonant, it's very nice. Then, of course, that all changes once you get your foot into the boost!! There are some sound clips on the other threads, and some on utube.

Dave

#17 ·
I gotta say...the temptation is building.

A TPC make-over flies under the wifedar and gets me basically a new car when I can't really justify a new car in a year or two with other family obligations.

I am anxiously awaiting the first California TPC car's visit to the dreaded SMOG check station. It is one thing to swap out exhausts if you fail...

I did a Dinan supercharger on my M3, and never regretted it for a second.

Very interesting...

#18 ·
That was my thought: I loved my car, it was paid for; got a Denison from Eric to hook up sat radio, and bolt on the TPC. No payments, tons of power, HAPPY.

Have to tell you this. Driving some canyons today, slow car in front and the road finally clears up ahead. I pull out to pass, downshift, hit it hard......the rear breaks loose!! Big smile. I haven't had that in this car before!

Life is short. NO Regrets.

Dave

#22 ·
Those are fantastic numbers Peter, what did you have done? ATPL2 bigger turbo option?

Sorry, just nosey ;)

PT
Thanks --- had the ATP2 set up --- added the larger turbo and TPC headers, plus latest re-map

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.