Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.planet-9.com/gallery/files/3/productphoto.jpg INTRODUCING THE FIRST 981 CAYMAN/BOXSTER TURBO KIT - TPC Racing 981 kit offers 100+ horsepower to the wheel!

Based on our wildly successful turbo kits for the 986/987 platforms, TPC Racing proudly introduces the first and only bolt-on turbo kit for the 981 Boxster/Cayman. Available for “S” and “non-S” models, The TPC Racing 981 Turbo Kit provides significant power increases to the Boxster/Cayman models that are well known for their superior mid-engine handling.

“It really is the ultimate drivers’ car,” Mike Levitas, Developer and Driver, exclaims. “With the added power from this kit, you can now crush the 911s on the straights while dominating them in corners thanks to the mid-engine handling characteristics of the Cayman and Boxster.”

Performance Tuning via Cobb Access Port
A very first for TPC turbo kits, the 981 Turbo Kit will feature full ECU tuning via the Cobb Tuning Accessport, in addition to Cobb Tuning options for the NA 981 with power increases for the base S model starting at 35HP.

As always, the 981 Turbo Kit makes use of a conservative .3 bar boost level to maintain engine longevity and reliability. Some owners of the TPC Racing 987 Turbo Kits have enjoyed over 100,000 miles on their TPC Cayman/Boxster turbo on street and track!

However, don’t be fooled by TPC’s focus on reliability. With no sacrifice on performance, the stage 1 kit provides 100+ horsepower to the wheel and 100+ ft-lb of torque, in addition to an aggressively throaty exhaust system!

Pricing & Availability
The TPC Racing 981 Turbo Kit is offered as a 100% bolt-on system with a starting price of $9,490.00. The kits can be ordered through TPC Racing or any affiliated dealer, which can be found at www.tpcracing.com. Each kit includes an ECU tune by developer Mike Levitas, so no additional tuning is necessary.
###

For more information or materials, visit www.tpcracing.com

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes! We have been working directly with Cobb Tuning.
Harris, maybe you can describe what the accessport is and how it is used with or a part of the new kit, etc. etc. In other words can you share a few more details above and beyond that you are working with Cobb for ECU tuning? :) Thanks!

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Yeah... everything I've read here on P9 tells me that these cars can't be tuned through the OBD port and that the only way to tune them is to send my ECU off to be modified in some mysterious process that frightens me a bit.

And then, just tossed in here like an afterthought, there's mention of a Cobb tuner for the 981. :D

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Yeah... everything I've read here on P9 tells me that these cars can't be tuned through the OBD port and that the only way to tune them is to send my ECU off to be modified in some mysterious process that frightens me a bit.

And then, just tossed in here like an afterthought, there's mention of a Cobb tuner for the 981. :D
Hmmmm, just could we expect from a 330HP 3.4l NA engine?

·
Registered
579 Posts

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
^^ must be brand new for the 981, I didn't see it on their web site. Also the 'Porsche' versions, especially for the later models is not inexpensive...

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Hmmmm, just could we expect from a 330HP 3.4l NA engine?

Well... it stands to reason that 350 hp should be easy as pie, considering this is what the 991 has. If you suggest it's got better airflow or something to achieve that, I'll claim that's a bunch of malarkey. :)

As mentioned though... the Accessport isn't cheap...

·
Registered
700 Posts
Don't know what the price is for a Porsche, but for BMW it is $900. Assuming their claim of 35 hp is achieved (big if) then converting from Porsche to real dollars, they are practically giving it away.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Well... it stands to reason that 350 hp should be easy as pie, considering this is what the 991 has. If you suggest it's got better airflow or something to achieve that, I'll claim that's a bunch of malarkey. :)

As mentioned though... the Accessport isn't cheap...
Hmmm, that is what I figured, the 35HP figure is probably on top of a 315HP 3.4l... I would guess that the Accessport will be around $2K US (991 $2300), and then I am sure TPC would like a little for their effort, add exchange and I am back to Hmmmm.

Reactions: uziel47

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm, that is what I figured, the 35HP figure is probably on top of a 315HP 3.4l... I would guess that the Accessport will be around $2K US (991 $2300), and then I am sure TPC would like a little for their effort, add exchange and I am back to Hmmmm.
Have you called them to see what a kit costs and/or what options you have when ordering a kit? In the past TPC turbo kits relied on a piggyback solution for the ECU, now it looks like they have a fully programmable solution with Cobb, don't know how that is reflected in the cost of the kit, but probably best to ask.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
This is a shot in the dark... but if someone buys the tuner, can they do multiple cars with it? In the GM world, there's a company that sells a thing called HP Tuners and they work on a credit system. You buy the programmer gizmo and then buy credits for each car you want to use it on.

Also... my apologies for sending the turbo announcement off on a tangent. We should start another thread to discuss the Cobb Accessport. :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Intercooled, or no?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Have you called them to see what a kit costs and/or what options you have when ordering a kit? In the past TPC turbo kits relied on a piggyback solution for the ECU, now it looks like they have a fully programmable solution with Cobb, don't know how that is reflected in the cost of the kit, but probably best to ask.

I called to get the figures. Estimated cost for the 981 NA tune will be around 1K including the Accessport. NA tune is not yet available though, however the Porsche encryption has been bypassed by Cobb. So it's just a matter of developing the NA tune.

·
Registered
346 Posts
This is great news on every level! What can we expect from a stage 1 base 2.7 car? Is it still 100hp/ 100 tq?

Any info relating to tuning the 2.7?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Intercooled, or no?

No intercooler option yet. We will be working on that down the road. For right now, we recommend our 2 gallon methanol injection system if you are in warm climates or use the car for track use. The methanol will not only offer a power gain and increase the octane level, but it will also lower the inlet air temperatures.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Cobb confirmed that the tune they have for the 991 turbo is OBDII based. Same deal will be for the 981 I assume.

TPC, will Cobb be releasing the NA tunes direct or is this something they are working through you on? Timing?

Last I spoke with them they said the 981 was something they were considering but had not gotten too deep, but it was plausible based on the 001 turbo work.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Cobb confirmed that the tune they have for the 991 turbo is OBDII based. Same deal will be for the 981 I assume.

TPC, will Cobb be releasing the NA tunes direct or is this something they are working through you on? Timing?

Last I spoke with them they said the 981 was something they were considering but had not gotten too deep, but it was plausible based on the 001 turbo work.
I am not sure of the tunes that Cobb will be coming up with for the 981 NA car. For the 997TT we have had great success with the Accessport and have used our own tune and used the Accessport as the delivery tool. We will be doing the same with the 981 but still need time with that tune as we focused more on the turbo kit when we worked with creating a file. We will definitely keep everyone posted on when that will be available though!

1 - 20 of 90 Posts