Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
I am sure Harris will provide an answer, but I have to ask what your definition of normal is?
Freeway driving at constant speed at 80mph. Right now I can get close to 30mpg with top down. I'm just curious. My work commute is 70 miles, and freeway part of it can't be much spirited anyway :(

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
Freeway driving at constant speed at 80mph. Right now I can get close to 30mpg with top down. I'm just curious. My work commute is 70 miles, and freeway part of it can't be much spirited anyway :(
Ahh, I see, I would think steady state speeds in a higher gear will return good numbers for mileage. An extra 100HP when you want it would be very tempting though! ;)

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
While there may not be a direct correlation between a turbo 3.4 and my hungrier 3.8, I get mpg in the low 20s during a generally steady 75ish highway cruise. When I'm into boost a bunch I'm in the high teens.
BTW, a TPC turbocharged 98x doesn't "kick in." It's the most seamless and linear turbo system I've driven. Likely because off boost its a high compression engine and the boost level is quite low.

Dan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
So people would need to either ship their car off (really expensive) or drive to you (big hassle). Looks like TPC racing is located in Maryland, like 1 hour north of Washington? How long does the install take and what are accommodations while waiting around the shop?
Jessup has the typical hotels that are on the Interstate. There is a diner across the street from the shop but if you stay too long "helping" out you might add a day to the previous three and a half day install times. It could be a wash to ship the car or drive and stay to do some DC sightseeing.

As for gas mileage, full boost comes on with WOT so in "normal" driving that might be only occasionally.

·
Registered
579 Posts
So people would need to either ship their car off (really expensive) or drive to you (big hassle). Looks like TPC racing is located in Maryland, like 1 hour north of Washington? How long does the install take and what are accommodations while waiting around the shop?
For any turbo installation done at TPC Racing, we ask to have the car for 2 or 3 weeks at the most. We do not charge 2 or 3 weeks labor, but we like to make sure that the job turns out perfect. We like to dyno test the cars while they are here and also work on any custom mapping if the car needs it.

The car could be here for less time, but we like to say more time than we may need just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I went to the TPC website and couldn't find any supporting information - basic information such as AFR management strategy, control of boost creep, target boost, general fuel management to ensure minimisation of early detonation etc. The absence of an intercooler......., type of turbo.....mass flow rates etc.

It would be good to see this supporting information so that consumers can make an informed decision - Just a thought

·
Porsche Prophet
103 Posts
Is the TPC turbo kit just for 981 manual transmission or does it works with PDK?
thanks
Our test mule was a manual transmission. We've done the necessary measurements on some local customer cars, and it can be done. However, we will need to do the first couple of kits in house.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,825 Posts
That must pull like a locomotive!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
706 Posts
Here is the chart for our 981. This was from our test mule that we were running with methanol injection. Without methanol, it is around 420whp. This was done on a 6 speed Cayman S.

hmm. super tempting. We'll see how the xmas bonus turns out.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Can you guys post a few other photos of the turbo (not installed) from different angles? Would like to see one taken from the other side (bottom) when compared to the one posted above.

·
Sprinsteen fanatic
452 Posts
My GTS hasn't even been built yet and I already want to send it to these guys! Can't wait to hear about more installations!

61 - 80 of 90 Posts