Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2000 Boxster S with 32,000 miles and I am considering the TPC Turbo Kit. I have read many postings with initial impressions of the turbo system. What I am interested in is whether anyone has run one of these systems 30,000 + miles and what your experience has been. My Boxster is a daily driver and I will log about 12,000-15,000 miles per year. So I need a system that will be reliable and hold up long term. Any experiences you can share will be much appreciated

Thank You

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Many me be hesitant to elaborate here. And just to be on the safe side, I'd say this:
1) search P9 and on Google. I'm sorry if I sound rude, but trust I'm not. Im just directing you to tens of the threads and feedback to read the whole stories.
2) some still to this day have their cars with no issues and others got blown engines and maintenance nightmares. These stories are documented online too.

In short, I'd say if you're a DIY kind a person with deep pockets, go for it. If not, ...DON'T!!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I see you (like me) live in California. Sorry.

Not only do we have 91 octane gasoline (so you won't see as much benefit and/or will be stressing the engine even more), but you'll have to do extra work every 2 years for emissions inspection. Oh, and you'll be running it illegally, too. Anyway, it's not enough that the car pass the tailpipe emissions test (which it quite possibly might do with the turbo installed). You also are not allowed to alter any equipment that _might_ affect emissions unless that alteration is proven in compliance with CARB. For example, you would theoretically fail emissions for something as simple as installing the GT3 throttle body. Wether you get caught or not is up to the visual inspection skill and/or integrity of the inspection place. (Yes, the inspection stations are actually supposed to look for non-standard parts.)

California inspections is just one of the reasons why people running turbo systems might be hesitant to post on public forums. Another reason might be fear of killing resale if a potential buyer matched your car with your post. A third might be fear of killing warranty. A fourth might be fear of insurance premiums and/or being uninsurable and/or having insurance renege on a policy claim. California isn't exactly the land of the free (neither in the $$$ sense or in the freedom sense).

·
Registered
534 Posts
I own a 2000 Boxster S with 32,000 miles and I am considering the TPC Turbo Kit. I have read many postings with initial impressions of the turbo system. What I am interested in is whether anyone has run one of these systems 30,000 + miles and what your experience has been. My Boxster is a daily driver and I will log about 12,000-15,000 miles per year. So I need a system that will be reliable and hold up long term. Any experiences you can share will be much appreciated

Thank You
I'd say turbocharging that year Boxster and attempting to daily drive it will leave you with one very unreliable and expensive to maintain daily driver. At that point I would probably just recommend selling it and getting a 996 911 Turbo instead. You'll spend about the same amount of money in the end and be left with a much better car.

Reactions: K-Man S

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
... What I am interested in is whether anyone has run one of these systems 30,000 + miles and what your experience has been. ... Any experiences you can share will be much appreciated
OP - you asked for the experience of others, but thus far have gotten no first hand knowledge of turbocharging a 986 Boxster, nor do I expect you will on this forum. Indeed, other than Hassaan, (whose turbo problems were anything but ordinary and likely the result of installation errors) the respondents appear to have no TPC turbocharging experience. Of the hundreds of 987 TPC turbo installs, proportionately very few have experienced issues. My daily driver TPC turbo starts and runs reliably with no special maintenance, and ... it's very, very quick. The point about emission issues is valid, but there are CA 987 turbos out there that somehow get licensed. OBTW, I wouldn't own a 996TT if it were given to me.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Hassaan, (whose turbo problems were anything but ordinary and likely the result of installation errors)
Correction: Mine was re-installed in MD, USA. When the engine was rebuilt there too. And I'm sure you read here at P9 the WTB and WTS 987 with blown engines ads from different other members.

Anyway, it seems the OP left the building long ago.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I don't have experience specifically with this setup, but will say this much. I had a turbo installed on a car years ago (not a P car), to say my fun happy days with stock car changed drastically and reliability was shot. I would never ever do a turbo kit on a car "Not Designed for a turbo to begin with".. Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I don't have experience specifically with this setup, but will say this much. I had a turbo installed on a car years ago (not a P car), to say my fun happy days with stock car changed drastically and reliability was shot. I would never ever do a turbo kit on a car "Not Designed for a turbo to begin with".. Good luck with your decision!
To be fair... I'd never say never. I added a supercharger to my Sunfire (don't laugh) and it was 100% an improvement with no downside, so far as I experienced. Now... the kit I used was designed and sold by GM Performance Parts. There's a world of difference over a kit designed for a car by the manufacturer and an aftermarket setup that may or may not be fully baked.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
My TPC turbocharger was installed on my 911 in Oct 2009, no special maintenance and no problems. It'll be six yeas this coming Oct, the right installation is key.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts