Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 1000 miles of street driving on my car since the TPC mods so I though I'd share my initial impressions. I have a brand new 3.4 L so I've been pretty easy on the engine and haven't reved it past 6,000 or used hi boost.

The car is my daily driver and track toy so I didn't go for the all out JRZ double adjustable shocks.

Here's a list of the mods:

Sparco Evo + seats (existing used during track season)
Girodisk (existing)
GT2 master cylinder & vacuum booster
TPC bars
Rear Toe links
Race damptronics (camber plate & rear mono balls)
Hiego roll bar

TTP Oilsafe scavenging pump kit
underdrive pulley
PS insulation at block
Stage 1 turbo
Boost controller
Variable octane settings
LWFW
X51 Clutch
Custom Guard LSD 40/60

The engine is awesome. Starts & drives like a stocker with 100+ lb/ft of torque anywhere in the power band. little of no turbo lag. No sudden rush of power it just pulls hard & keeps going. I had the SRP race plenum & AWE exhaust on the car before and there is no comparison. Torque is a wonderful thing!

I love the exhaust note it's deeper, quiet crusing, no drone at all. Full throttle sounds great too.

I'm in brake heaven! I finally have a firm pedal! Can't wait to really test them on the track. Tried a few panic stops and the combo of the disks & LSD really works.

This suspension is hard core. On smooth surfaces it's fine but the linear springs make sharp bumps tough. Soft setting feels like a standard CS until you go over a sharp bump then it feels much stiffer. This is a track oriented setup and I wouldn't recommend it for a street only car.

With the extra power the LSD is great. I don't dive fast on the street but I have played a little bit on slow corners to hang out the rear end. What fun!

All in all huge performance improvements over a stock CS. Very easy to drive on the street. Just watch out for sharp bumps!

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
I am sorry my diver friend, but who told you that we read such posts on this forum?!! For God's sake show us some nice pictures, and naughty videos of your TPC charged toy!!

What a waste of time and money!

Show us your honey :crazy:

On the other hand, dear Casey, while our friend is working on taking pictures and a video of his car, can you please explain the following to me:
1) Did I get the "GT2 master cylinder & vacuum booster" with my kit?
2) What is the purpose of "Oilsafe scavenging pump kit"? Do I need it?
3) What is the benefit of the "underdrive pulley"? How much does it cost?
4) Abdullah in the UAE did mention that he insulated the exhaust, de-snork the car and kept the radiator fan running bypassing the thermometer. And here DiverDog has used the insulation. Do I need to do any of what Abdullah did?

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's filthy dirty and I've been working on installing rev lights, hidden Traqmate and XM antenna and Traqmate TPS, brake light and tach wiring.

The ony change to the looks from before are the TPC exhaust tips! It was already lowered.

I will be taking pics of the installation I'm doing & the car too when I finish & clean her up.

There will be plenty of HD track videos coming soon.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On the other hand, dear Casey, while our friend is working on taking pictures and a video of his car, can you please explain the following to me:
1) Did I get the "GT2 master cylinder & vacuum booster" with my kit?
2) What is the purpose of "Oilsafe scavenging pump kit"? Do I need it?
3) What is the benefit of the "underdrive pulley"? How much does it cost?
4) Abdullah in the UAE did mention that he insulated the exhaust, de-snork the car and kept the radiator fan running bypassing the thermometer. And here DiverDog has used the insulation. Do I need to do any of what Abdullah did?
GT2 master cylennder- My car has a very soft brake pedal that became unsafe on the track. Not needed for most cars espically on the street.

Oilsafe kit. Another track modification to help the engine live on high G turns not needed unless you are using R comp tires on the track

Underdrive pulley- slows down the power steering pump to help prevent heating on the track. also free's up a few horse power

PS insulation. THe ps line passed against the enginge block and may pick up some heat there. another track mod not needed for street.

Exhaust insulation. Keeps the engine bay cooler and may add a very small performance increase. Hotter exhaust = more energy to the turbo

And how could I forget my car has a desnork too! no wonder it pulls so hard!

·
On Probation
582 Posts
dyno runs ?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Diverdorg

where did you buy the GT2 master cylinder? I need one as well because under hard breaking with slicks I need to double press the brake pedal in order to obtain the needed pressure.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GT2 MS & vacuum booster came from TPC. I believe they are the same units also used on the cayman with PCBB.

As soon as TPC gives me my dyno sheets I'll share them

I have two boost settings programmed lo & High I think it's 4 & 6 psi. Yes it's an LCD read out

·
On Probation
582 Posts
are you going to double check the dyno runs on another test site

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was thinking about taking it to the dyno where the car was checked with the exhaust and race plenum. It was a very stingy unit that connected directly to the wheel hubs and showed 270 HP.

To be honest I'm not too concerned. The car feels very strong and I'll get a real world test when I'm running at the glen in two weeks. I'll see how it runs on the straight against my friends 10 GT3

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
[Driverdog

The engine is awesome. Starts & drives like a stocker with 100+ lb/ft of torque anywhere in the power band. little of no turbo lag. No sudden rush of power it just pulls hard & keeps going.

Every post I've seen on the TPC Turbo (and I think I've read them all) says that this system drives just like stock till about 3500 - 4000 RPM. Do you really get + 100 FT-LB of torque in the lower RPM bands, like 2000 to 3000RPM or do you mean that the power band does not start till 3500-4000RPM?

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
not off idle but it spins up fast. we are talking about over 3k under load

·
Registered
18 Posts
not off idle but it spins up fast. we are talking about over 3k under load
I'm also very curious about the driving difference between stock and turbo. I want to put the turbo in, but i'm not a crazy driver and i hardly ever get it above 3.5k rpm on my daily commute. But also I feel like a stock S just doesnt have the grunt it should, say even a 335i does. Would this be worth it for me?

In your experience would you need to really put the car past 3k to feel a difference? I see you are in NJ, I'm in Princeton any interest in meeting up sometime for coffee somewhere for a test ride? I'll buy you whatever latte you want lol....

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm also very curious about the driving difference between stock and turbo. I want to put the turbo in, but i'm not a crazy driver and i hardly ever get it above 3.5k rpm on my daily commute. But also I feel like a stock S just doesnt have the grunt it should, say even a 335i does. Would this be worth it for me?

In your experience would you need to really put the car past 3k to feel a difference? I see you are in NJ, I'm in Princeton any interest in meeting up sometime for coffee somewhere for a test ride? I'll buy you whatever latte you want lol....
... yeah @ 3.5k you're not even scratching the surface of how these cars like to be driven. Just for fun one day try cruising in second @ say 4.5k, punch it and run it out a bit. If nothing happens check for a pulse and repeat as necessary.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For me the turbo is all about the track. I drive like an old granny on the street. (croced and cayman Ken say I drive like a granny on the track too LOL) I have been fooling around a little bit just to experience the acceleration and it is intoxicating.

For me the nicest thing on the street is cruising on the highway in 6th tipping in the throttle and passing effortlessly without down shifting

·
Registered
148 Posts
For me the turbo is all about the track. I drive like an old granny on the street. (croced and cayman Ken say I drive like a granny on the track too LOL) I have been fooling around a little bit just to experience the acceleration and it is intoxicating.

For me the nicest thing on the street is cruising on the highway in 6th tipping in the throttle and passing effortlessly without down shifting
I test drove one and share the same impression. It drove like stock in non-highway street driving, while on the highway the punch kicked in but power delivery was very smooth.

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
Aside from the V8s Porsches do not produce a lot of power below 3,500RPM. The tach is designed with 4,000RPM in the smack center for a reason. All Porsches show that. If you are around the 12 o'clock position of your tach you are fine, if you are far above - shift, if you are far below - shift. See - no real reason to look at the tach you can check that in peripheral view.

If you do not drive over 3,500RPM don't waste your money ....

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
If you do not drive over 3,500RPM don't waste your money ....
+1. YGu if you're willing to drive to the outskirts of PA one weekend & PM me to arrange it you're welcome to take a ride in mine.

The fact that the turbo does not influence "stock / city driving" was one of the factors in my decision to go with it.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'f I didn't take my car to the track I never would have modded the engine. It has more that enough power for the street stock. But on the track you can't have too much power! LOL

1 - 20 of 27 Posts