Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the tire pressure monitors on a 19 inch winter tire and wheel set for a 2014 Boxster S will be compatible with a 2018 718 Cayman S? My dealer didn’t know if the monitor frequencies would be the same or not.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Should be the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just went through this myself. Though the 981 wheels fit and the sensors are on the same 433MHz band, the sensors will not "talk" with your 718. The data handoff/protocol/whatever it's called changed for the 718s, and the OE and aftermarket part numbers for compatible TPMS units have changed as a result. I have ordered a set of the new spec sensors to have installed in my set of winter wheels. If the tire shop is somehow able to get my existing installed sensors to work I'll post back (likely won't be for a week or so).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the information. I look forward to hearing what you two find out. My new car isn't expected until January, so you will help me be prepared for my drive home, probably through snow, ice, and freezing temperature!

·
Registered
27 Posts
jmlmr2, how annoying is it to drive without the sensors working? Just a light in the dash or an incessant chime?
There's a yellow "idiot light" on the speedometer face, and the multifunction display will periodically switch over to displaying "tire monitoring system malfunction" (and it might ding when this screen comes up - but I haven't noticed), which you can just click out of using the return button when it comes up. The idiot light flashes for 30 sec or so every time you start the car but then goes solid thereafter, so you get used to it being lit up after a while (at least I do).

I happened to stumble upon Advance Auto Parts having the Huf UVS4030 sensors available online with free shipping, and they're running a 20% off online sale for pre-black friday. I was able to get the set of 4 sensors for <$150 shipped.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just went through this myself. Though the 981 wheels fit and the sensors are on the same 433MHz band, the sensors will not "talk" with your 718. The data handoff/protocol/whatever it's called changed for the 718s, and the OE and aftermarket part numbers for compatible TPMS units have changed as a result. I have ordered a set of the new spec sensors to have installed in my set of winter wheels. If the tire shop is somehow able to get my existing installed sensors to work I'll post back (likely won't be for a week or so).
Can confirm also. I ordered the 18'' Porsche winter wheel and tire set through my dealer. The parts department mistakenly ordered the set for 981 instead of the 718. Only difference is the TPMS. They, nor I, realized the error until the tech spent the better part of an afternoon trying to figure out why the TPMS wasn't working with the wheels. They had the correct TPMS in stock and swapped them out.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I can also verify that 981 TPMS do not work on 718. I had 18” winter wheels put on along with TPMS. Although it said it was compatible with both 981 and 718, still get a fault. Lucky I got a refund plus installation costs back.

Rippey

·
Registered
421 Posts
I got an estimate from the dealer to replace the TPMS. Sensor is part number 9A7-907-275-02, list $160.86. Tire valve is 9P1-601-361-C, $30.61. Total $765.88. So I'm gonna go third party on that one.
Note that we'll all have to do this when the batteries fail in the sensors.
I think the prices for the tire valves seem more outrageous that the sensors themselves.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes, if you search through the 718 dropdowns on the site you get to the same item. That is how I searched for them, not sure why the link shows otherwise. It says they're for all Boxster/Cayman 2014 and newer.

You also put in your VIN when ordering so that will make sure they send you the proper one. Suncoast's pricing is usually far better than most your normal Porsche dealers, though many dealers will match Suncoast's pricing if you ask.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Update: The first set of Huf sensors I ordered through Advance did not come configured (they weren't supposed to - I figured I'd be able to find a shop with the proper configuration tool but ultimately could not) so I had to return them. I ordered another set from "Shop TPMS" (2017 Porsche Cayman 718 TPMS), which were a few $$ more but came pre-configured and simply needed to be installed in my wheels. All in, it was around $300 for the sensors and installation at my local independent shop.

One thing to note is that even with the proper, configured sensors, take a LONG time to register with the car. When I picked my car up I went into the TPMS menu, switched to "19" Winter", and went on my way. The TPMS warning light flashed for ~30 seconds then lit solid. After another few minutes with the warning light illuminated I started worrying that even the pre-configured Huf 4030 sensors weren't going to work. I ended up driving for at least 10 minutes before the sensors were "learned in" by my car. Just a PSA so folks know what to expect. The new sensors have been working flawlessly since the car figured them out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.