Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This time, it's different than flat tire indication.
The message was quickly passed, so I couldn't catch all but it basically said something about TPMS sensor and not just one but all 4 tire pressures are indicating "--". Hum.. how can all 4 TPMS sensors go off all at once? Could it be the receiver problem?

Please let me know. Thanks!! :)

·
Registered
983 Posts
In my case the TPMS light came on when my right front tire sensor died. Before that, all four were acting weird. Sometimes they would individually take a minute to come on, other times they came up instantly. Since they were at the age limit, I replaced all 4. Stay away from the dealer for replacement unless you have deep pockets!!!!! While this did not answer your question directly, If yours are around 6-7 years old, I would bet it is just the sensors.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Search is your friend. There are soooo many threads on this. But, for the record, the TPMS wheel units can receive interference from quite a few sources. I have a fire house I drive by and every time I do, my TPMS, all of them, go to --- until they reset themselves about 3 miles later. When they fail, they don't all fail at the same time but they will get interference at the same time. Failures are typically one at a time. My originals failed by sending all kinds of inaccurate pressures instead of none.:cheers:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Search is your friend. There are soooo many threads on this. But, for the record, the TPMS wheel units can receive interference from quite a few sources. I have a fire house I drive by and every time I do, my TPMS, all of them, go to --- until they reset themselves about 3 miles later. When they fail, they don't all fail at the same time but they will get interference at the same time. Failures are typically one at a time. My originals failed by sending all kinds of inaccurate pressures instead of none.:cheers:
I was suspecting some type of interference. Exactly what you said, there is no way all 4 sensors would go bad at once. Next day, all the sensors detected pressure fine. ha!!
Not out of luck yet! =]

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my case the TPMS light came on when my right front tire sensor died. Before that, all four were acting weird. Sometimes they would individually take a minute to come on, other times they came up instantly. Since they were at the age limit, I replaced all 4. Stay away from the dealer for replacement unless you have deep pockets!!!!! While this did not answer your question directly, If yours are around 6-7 years old, I would bet it is just the sensors.
Which sensor did you replace with? It's about time to replace 2 front tires, might as well replace front ones meanwhile...

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Just 2 weeks ago I had the Titan sensors from OE Wheels installed. They are a sponsor on this site. They were very helpful and even though my mechanic had never seen that brand before and wanted to sell me an OEM brand for $165 each, they installed the ones I supplied and they work just terrific. By the way the stealer wanted $250 EACH. I paid about $180 for all four and as I recall, shipping was free. Highly recommended.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
delsol7,
There is a chance the sensor(s) went into sleep mode and aren't reporting to the mother ship. I had that happen to me a few weeks ago on one sensor. To wake it up I filled the offending tire with an extra 5 PSI. That woke up the sensor and it was fine. It is worth a try before replacing the sensors.

Rob VN

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just 2 weeks ago I had the Titan sensors from OE Wheels installed. They are a sponsor on this site. They were very helpful and even though my mechanic had never seen that brand before and wanted to sell me an OEM brand for $165 each, they installed the ones I supplied and they work just terrific. By the way the stealer wanted $250 EACH. I paid about $180 for all four and as I recall, shipping was free. Highly recommended.:cheers:
Did it look like this?

$_57.JPG

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
delsol7,
There is a chance the sensor(s) went into sleep mode and aren't reporting to the mother ship. I had that happen to me a few weeks ago on one sensor. To wake it up I filled the offending tire with an extra 5 PSI. That woke up the sensor and it was fine. It is worth a try before replacing the sensors.

Rob VN
Um... extra 5 PSI. Ok. I will keep in mind that if same thing happens again. Thanks! =]

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Did it look like this?

View attachment 53262
Pretty much but I don't recall the model number and I'm not near the paper work to check. I know it was the 433mgh version which is the standard for our cars in the US. The OE Wheels/Titan customer service rep was very helpful in getting the right model to me. After that I left it up to my mechanic to install and I'm now enjoying the positive results. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
I was hoping to order a set of Titan sensors for my future 2015 GTS, to have a new set of snow tires all ready to go. On the Titan website they have no info on Cayman/Boxster after MY 2012. So I sent an email to Titan, and they want a part number, which of course I don't have, basically the person replying didn't have a clue if their sensors would work with the newer models. Disappointing... Looks like I will have to pay almost twice as much for the OEM supplied by tire rack.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Why not just get the part number? I'd call the dealer or Suncoast if I were you. The savings are well worth a little extra effort.:cheers:

·
El Coco
8 Posts
Thanks guys, I just ordered three different sets: one for my Porsche cayman, one for the mini cooper S and one for the Rav4.

Great prices. $141 per each set. Hopefully they last another 5 years...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys, I just ordered three different sets: one for my Porsche cayman, one for the mini cooper S and one for the Rav4.

Great prices. $141 per each set. Hopefully they last another 5 years...
Which one did you purchase for Cayman?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I ordered the OEM Huf 433 MHz from Titan for my 08 Cayman. The cost for 4 was $368 with free shipping. It was installed yesterday at my local tire shop who specialize in tires & wheel alignment. No problems with "learning" the new sensors.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
OE Wheels/Titan sells both their own brand units and the Huf brand which is the apparent exact OEM replacement versus their after market brand. The Hufs are roughly twice the cost of the Titan brand. I have the after market brand and they work great too. Reports are that both work great.:cheers:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks Budman. I thought I saw other forum members state the Titan brand works just as good as the Huf ones. I figure I replace it with OEM Hufs as it was saving me almost 1/2 from what the dealer was charging. I will definitely try out the Titan's the next time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
All four of mine were out of commission when I bought my Boxster used. It's an 07 and my independent tire guy said that the internal battery wears out after time(6-7 years on some cars). The dealer wanted $1200 installed and my tire shop assured me aftermarket ones will work if you get the right frequency...sure enough after $380 installed I'm up and running with aftermarket sensors.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OE Wheels/Titan sells both their own brand units and the Huf brand which is the apparent exact OEM replacement versus their after market brand. The Hufs are roughly twice the cost of the Titan brand. I have the after market brand and they work great too. Reports are that both work great.:cheers:
Thanks for the confirmation. I just bought 4 sets of Titans for $72 on eBay!! :thanks:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts