Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased 3rd party/aftermarket wheels and tires.
Of course, that darn diagnostic keeps going off since I have no TPMS...and I've been told that can't be turned-off.
Any recommendations for adding TPMS sensors to each tire ?
Will I have to get them rebalanced after the install ?
Is 433 MHz or 315 MHz recommended ?
Is it true that one must initially set the pressure of the tires to that recommended by Porsche when first installing the TPMS ? Then I was told the pressure can be adjusted later without throwing a diagnostic.

·
Registered
496 Posts
US cars use 433 Mhz. If your car was originally built for the US market, then use 433.
Yes, the tire/wheel assembly must be rebalanced since the TPMS sensor is heavier than the valve stem.
I never heard of the pressure being a criteria for the system in learning mode.
The system will learn the new sensors automatically.
BTW, never use metal valve caps.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Save money and buy the Beru/HUF OEM sensors or I've had good luck with 3rd party sensors at 4 for the price of 1 Porsche part. Your local tire shop can install and balance them. The car should find them for itself. Learning is best done away from your other wheel/sensors if you have them. You should be able to find a lot of good info on threads here.

There was what appears to have been a protocol change in about 2008-9 so make sure whatever you buy isn't generic across all years. They might not work.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My mechanic told me to get the tire rack TPMS.
I take it he was referring to this one: https://www.tirerack.com/tpms/category.jsp?category=Aftermarket+Systems
So should I budget as follows ? :
Purchase TPMS $300 with shipping
Install TPMS $160 (2 hours labor)
Rebalance Tires $120
----------------------------
TOTAL COST $580
Does that look about right ?

·
Registered
703 Posts
The last time I replaced sensors, a set of 4 were $160, and my mobile tire guy charged me $80 to install the 4 sensors, including balancing. (Last quote I got from my local dealer was $1200 installed). My recommendation is to call Titantpms, no affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34,417 Posts
Q: Any recommendations for adding TPMS sensors to each tire ?
A: Also recommend the HUF RDE011 sensors.

Q: Will I have to get them rebalanced after the install ?
A: Also agree that the balance will be thrown off by the added weight.

Q: Is 433 MHz or 315 MHz recommended ?
A: Also agree that 433MHz is the correct frequency for US cars. A parts dept can confirm with your VIN.

I bought the HUF RDE011 set from oewheels.net for just under $300 for a set of 4 - these do not require a learning tool. I'm sure tirerack's will work but I believe (don't hold me to this) that they do require a learning tool which a mechanic would likely have but a DIY'er probably not. The installation is simple since they just replace the valve stem and require a proper torque.
I had them installed with balancing by Wheel Works for $40. No learning so they just charged me for balancing.

Thanks Brian C, I'm glad I read the comment about metal caps. I was going to replace mine with metal ones but a quick search shows that there are warnings about using metal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not sure how all this info would apply to me. Please let me ask. I have a 2014 Boxster with 4 street tires and they all have TPMS. I want to buy four additional rims and tires for track use. These rims & tires will only be installed once or twice a year for two days at a time.
I guess my questions would be, should I worry about TPMS at all for this scenario as I typically use a hand held tire pressure monitor for each tire prior to each session and never rely on the TPMS for the tires. Even though I've only tracked with my street tires which already have TPMS so far anyway.
Or should I add TPMS to the new rims when I get them mounted and balanced? and if I already have TPMS system what would I need for the new rims as the system is already on the car. As you can see I really confused as to what I should do.

·
Registered
703 Posts
If you are using track specific tires, I wouldn't spend the money. If they are street tires I would get cheap sensors, for those 'lazy' days when I choose to keep them on for a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would not worry about TPMS for tires used only a couple times a year. Save yourself the trouble and money!
Actually, that's when you really need them....as I was in a terrible accident last Christmas....and a major contributor was low air pressure in the tires since I had not been riding the car in recent months.
I know, I know...I should have checked the pressure before taking it out....

·
Registered
703 Posts

·
Banned
2,307 Posts
here are some of the issues that we had to fix at schnell ..

1) battery life (dying in less than four years) then it becomes a goose chase which failed..
2) the programmed type .. gets de-programmed .. customers has to return to the place that sets the frequency to get it reprogram.
3) the sensor broke into pieces..inside the wheel..
4) intermittent loss of communication with the sensor pickups.

i am not naming any particular brand.. nor saying one brand is better than the other.. these are just some of the problems we had to fix.

remember just to take out the tire and break the seal bead and re balance all four is $80.00 at cheap places

just saying..
Lemon

·
Registered
57 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with the Huf UVS2000 seems like these are cheaper to get than the RDE011 buty they need programming?

Also has anyone what the right Huf valve to use with the stock sensors? I bought the RDV021 but the dealership foreman claimed it didn't fit the stock oem 19" rims he was saying it was loose fitting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.