Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Other

Votes: 9 21.4%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been a lot of questions regarding which TPMS sensors to buy as replacements, so perhaps a poll is in order. I published a similar poll at the Cayman Register (Cayman Register), but thought I would do a one here because of the potentially broader audience. If you have bought more than 1 brand, chose all that you did buy.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I just said "enough" with replacing failed TPMS batteries and sensors in my 911. Over the past 16 months, 3 sensors have failed...all within a couple of months of each other. I replaced the first one in my summer wheels...then got another failure in my winter wheel set, and now another sensor has failed in my summer wheels (different wheel than the first one). Once the warranty is up (June 30) it'll be time to turn the damn system off with my Durametric. BTW, no problems at all with TMPS is our 2012 CS.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
I ordered a set of sensors with new winter tires from tire rack last winter, and had them mounted locally on existing rims. Looking at the order summary and their website, I have no idea what brand they sold me, so can't participate in this poll...

Edit: per below, chose "other", but if anyone knows what Tire Rack uses, please chime in.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ordered a set of sensors with new winter tires from tire rack last winter, and had them mounted locally on existing rims. Looking at the order summary and their website, I have no idea what brand they sold me, so can't participate in this poll...
You could choose "Other".

·
Registered
105 Posts
I guess the real question is: Are they all just as good or is it just a matter of price?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess the real question is: Are they all just as good or is it just a matter of price?
I gambled that the less expensive ones will be at least half as good as the originals, which would save $100s. As the replacements fail, this will help determine how 'good' they really are. So, will we still have the cars in 5-7 years, to see?

·
Registered
490 Posts
I bought cheaper ones a ways back. They work, but not as good as the OEM ones. I know this because in the summer the pressure is always off. It seems as if the ones I bought don't adjust based on temp. To prevent getting low-pressure warnings, I set the computer to winter tires, the ones that require the lowest pressure. When these fail, I'm either going back to OEM or confirming the set I buy matches all OEM specs...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Can't you just go into settings and retrain your settings based on your current pressures? I don't think there is a difference regarding how they send based on temp

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I bought cheaper ones a ways back. They work, but not as good as the OEM ones. I know this because in the summer the pressure is always off. It seems as if the ones I bought don't adjust based on temp. To prevent getting low-pressure warnings, I set the computer to winter tires, the ones that require the lowest pressure. When these fail, I'm either going back to OEM or confirming the set I buy matches all OEM specs...

i keep telling this to people.. but they want to save more money .. the seem not to under stand.. that let say a replacement only last 2.5 to 3 years.. that they have to do it twice..and each wheel take off and rebalance is at least 80 dollars.. i know the huff if the dating is good is good for 5 years..

spend once and have a peace of mind.. it is a porsche..

Lemon

·
Registered
490 Posts
Can't you just go into settings and retrain your settings based on your current pressures? I don't think there is a difference regarding how they send based on temp
Yes - You can re-train, but the ones I purchases don't calculate the same way as the OEM ones... I'm not sure if it's temp related or what, but it's certainly annoying....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts