Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My TPMS system consistently reads 3 psi below the reading on my Longacre gauge. Anyone else have inconsistent psi readings that differ by 10%?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
MY non OEM wheel unit replacement TPMS shows 1# lower than both my Longacre guages. The original factory TPMS wheel units, before they died, showed about a 3# difference. The unit in the car is really intended to be a warning system rather than an accurate tire gauge. A quality, like Longacre, gauge reading is definitely the one to rely on for accuracy.

·
Registered
494 Posts
How do you calibrate your gauge?
I didn't calibrate it, I bought an ANSI calibrated gauge (analog). As I recall there are at least 2 ANSI ratings, one more stringent than the other. I did buy a gauge about 30-40 years ago that you could send in to the manufacturer and they would re-calibrate it - I did and never got it back. 😕 I probably have about a 6 or 7 gauges (mostly digital, some analog) I've bought over the years and they all read within maybe a lb of each other, with the range encompassing the alleged calibrated gauge reading, and on average about 3 psi higher than TPMS.

·
Registered
846 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
I googled it and this seems to be the procedure. A bit too involved for me so I’ll just trust my LongAcre.

Yep, I've seen that before and I won't go there either. I have 3 gauges and for me calibration is by majority rule. But of course, how do you know that the majority is correct? Make the sample size larger! Etc.. I was just hoping maybe someone had a good trick up their sleeve. 😬

·
Registered
846 Posts
Yep, I've seen that before and I won't go there either. I have 3 gauges and for me calibration is by majority rule. But of course, how do you know that the majority is correct? Make the sample size larger! Etc.. I was just hoping maybe someone had a good trick up their sleeve. 😬
the reason I opted out of this process was my neighbors would probably call the cops if they saw me leaning out my 2nd story window pouring water into a tube connected to my tire gauge.

So based on that I’ll just trust my LongAcre gauge.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have an Intercomp digital gauge that reads to 1/100 of a pound. It cost $$$ but was worth every penny. I can send it back to them to get it recalibrated if needed. My TPMS reads about 1# off. As I have a number of cars, I use my label printer to put my desired cold tire pressures on the driver’s door jam of each car .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
433 Posts
The one longacre gauge I ever bought went bad on me within a year... I've been using $12 accugage, nice digital thing that zeroes and at least gives comparative numbers for years now.... It's matched many other measurements. My Porsche TPMS reads 1psi lower than the digital gauge (which matches my bmw tpms).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts