Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just come back from a track day evening session (5-8pm) at Snetterton circuit in the UK.

The Cayman was absolutely brilliant!!

I've done a couple of corporate events at different circuits in cars, buy never a proper track day. I've done quite a few Motorcycle track days before, including this circuit, but I can tell you; it's a LOT different in a car!! The only thing that helped me was that I knew which corner was next!

So what overtook me?

1 Caterham - the chap apparently races it

What did I overtake?

2 996 Turbos (they weren't THAT much quicker on the straights, but they were quicker). I got a much better exit speed and corner speed.

1 Caterham

1 Noble

1 Ariel Atom - this was an interesting one. The Ariel was faster accelleration until about 70mph. I overtook him. he overtook me, then managed to outbreak himself and spun the car! I then managed to lose him over half a lap!

2 Roll Caged MX5's

2 Roll caged fully specced Saxo's

And lot's of other standard road cars!

Our Cayman is the dogs danglies!

I let a guy drive it who races Caterhams, and even he was impressed by it's nimbleness, speed, brakes, agility.

The only downside to the car the whole day, was the traction control (even when in Sport mode with PASM) kicks in slightly too early on low speed corners. Anyone interested which one's - look at Russels Chicane at Snetterton on google. It's a very tight low speed bend.

Other than that, VERY impressed, and this will be the first of many!

Dan

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One other thing - the car sounds a LOT different from the outside than the inside. Sounds great from inside, very throaty, I;m sure we all agree. From the outside, seeing it scream past flat out down the straight, sounds very 'mechanical'. Can't really hear the engine noise, just sounds very metallic. Some people liked it, some didn't. Just very different... which was odd.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Sounds like great fun, Dan. I tracked mine for the first time a few months ago and was very happy with its performance. A couple of people track-side said it sounded like a jet coming down the main straight at ButtonWillow.

Were you running stock setup? Any camber or suspension changes? What tyres, if I may ask?

·
Registered
336 Posts
stuntman ,i live only 10min away from castle combe ,is it a trackday open to anyone? if it is ,how much? ,and do you need a helmet or anything special. my car may not be perfect for this as it is a tip ,but i would realy like to try something like this if i can free up some time.

·
Registered
164 Posts
raysman if you live only 10min from castle combe in wiltshire uk and drive a cayman S do you belong to PCGB. I am now living in Adelaide South Australia having retired here in January.before that we livedin and around Swindon, and have done many track days atcombe. Very hard on the brakes but safe.

In the UK we owned a 911 Turbo and Boxster S and we were members orPCGB for many years

In Oz we have Cayman S and Toyata Rav(new model) and aremembers of PCSA

In joy your track day

·
Registered
336 Posts
bob weeks,...i have been to pcgb hq and looked around ,but to be honest i find it really hard to free up time to partisipate in things as i have a buisness to run and four kids to entertain at the weekends ,i know it may seem anti-social ,but i am so knackered come the weekend i just try to relax a little .thanks for the insight into castle coombe ,but as a novice i dont think i would be able to push my car fast enough or skillfully enough to reach the limits of it ,but thanks ,and by the way can you drive the gp circuit there ?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Raysman - the trackday on Weds August 2nd is with Bookatrack - check out this link.

http://bookatrack.com/-pE

At the time of posting (13.27pm UK time on Friday) there are 2 places left! Cost is £195 for the day, helmet hire is about another £10. Remember to bring your driving licence.

Hope you can make it and get your own Cayman on the track!

If you can't (or don't want to) book your owncar on for Weds but you're free at any timeduring the day, come and find me and blag some passenger laps. I know my way around Combe quite well, even though this will be the first time I've had my Cayman on track.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dan ,you gave the keys to someone else ??????what were you thinking ,or did he let you drive his f430 or something /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/eek2.gif

He's an experienced driver and a sensible guy. Although he;s claimed 2 laps did turn into 4, plus the comment of 'I want another go' did make me snatch the keys back rather quickly!

Anyway: It's only a peice of metal /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/eek2.gif

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice one Dan - glad you enjoyed yourself! I'm going to be at Castle Combe on Weds 2nd August and then Bedford Autodrome on Friday 11th August in mine.

Your gonna have a hell of a time, I'm still thinking and talking about the experience even now! I just need someone to listen to me go on about it !!

·
Registered
384 Posts
From comments I have heard about my car, I dont think there is a 'lack of' noise problem. Every track day i have done I have had people approach me to tell me how good the car sounds going up the straight. There was a big discussion about this between people on the pit wall at the Porsche Club sprint I did last weekend. There were 66 Porsches there in all shapes and sizes, so you think they would be used to good sounding cars! But they all thought the Cayman sounded fantastic. I have never persoanlly heard one from the outside, so I don'y have my own opinion on the matter.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There wasn't a 'lack' of noise problem. Just the noise wasn;t quite... right. Well.... I quite liked it, sometimes. Just sounded odd and mechanical. Not deep and throaty. Sounded like a LOT of deep wind coming towards you.

Is that a hurricane in Norfolk...? no; it's dans cayman at 7k revs coming up the front straight.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Someone mentioned to me that it sounded like a jet fighter coming towards you - I kind of liked that :)

The external sound seems to be mainly induction noise, rather than engine. I wonder if the 'desnorked' cars sound different?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts