Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well sort of. Took my 991 to the Porsche Experience Centre at Silverstone to have a run round the big track with one of their instructors. Not done that before, and it was a bit like a track day as there were many random people out there driving all sorts of stuff. Now there has been some conjecture on this site, supported by videos, that the 981 is a far quicker machine round any track than a 911. I am sad to say that I was indeed slower than all the 981s by some considerable margin, I was also slower than the souped up Renault Meganes and GT86s people were learning in. Apart from the long Hanger Straight where I was faster than them all :) That felt good, for about 5 seconds until it was time to slow down for the corner. It took me several stints and many laps to get the hang of it, interspersed with much tea, but eventually I think I began to understand how to drive the 991. It is quite different to the 987/981, lots of heavy braking into corners, very light front end and enormous corner exit grip. However for all the car's electronic trickery it is quick to start rotating if there's any lack of smoothness transitioning between throttle and braking, especially if you're not pointing straight ahead. I think that's why you see so many 911s being driven so gingerly round tracks. Once it starts to rotate there's a lot of momentum to deal with. Fortunately I didn't spin, but on my own I may well have done. Bit of a handful. The 987 was never like that, it rotated sure but somehow in a way that felt easy to pull back in line. Back on the handling circuit I absolutely couldn't hold a slide in the 991, whereas I could vaguely drift the 987. Anyway it was all good fun and to prove that it is possible to drive a 911 properly the fastest car I saw out there was a 997 GT3 4.0, a very rare beast.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. I've been competing in motorsport in one form or another since the 70's and I struggle to put a good lap together at Silverstone. It is so feature less and difficult to find reference points. Just enjoy it.:)

·
Registered
773 Posts
It's all physics, a low polar moment of inertia from a mid-engine 981 means it behaves so much more predictable than any 911. Nice write up.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
SpeedGirl,

its that "want to do better next time" that get you coming back! You will only get better and faster. Remember the tortoise did finish but surely. You'll be a rabbit soon enough.

Go Girl!

Lemon

·
Vendor
6,492 Posts
Don't sweat it. If it was your first track day - an experienced driver in Fiesta would probably be faster :) It's all about driver's skills. And to improve that - you need time/ more track days.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
it took me about 2-3 events before getting comfortable and starting to push my previous ride on a circuit...from what i've read, the 911 is more of a challenging car to drive and thats part of the appeal of driving one. Renault Megane easily one of the best front engine cars out there and with a good driver they are quite fast.

so book your next DE/track day soon!

·
Registered
432 Posts
it took me about 2-3 events before getting comfortable and starting to push my previous ride on a circuit...

Wow, is that the ring? There is no run off to speak of and the concrete is barely wide enough for two cars. Pushing a car around that track takes some guts.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
bryanth, the video is not mine - but yes its quite a demonstration of well driven cars on a pretty long, narrow circuit.

my "home" circuit is Sepang, where the F1 is currently taking place :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts