Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to export the video from a session from the Porsche Track Precision App. App has great video with g-force, steering wheel showing input, throttle, brake, speed, Gear and engine speed.

All great to share, but can't figure out how to get it out of my I-Phone.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Last time at track I was unable to hold the wifi connection. I created the track using the map (NJMP Lightning), loaded profile, etc. and everything looked ok. Started recording just as I was leaving paddock and by the time I reached the pit lane it stopped recording, saying it lost wifi connection. Same thing happened each subsequent time I tried it. Very strange because I've used it successfully at NJMP Thunderbolt back in May, no issues. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Can't help you with that one. It may be your phone.
Yeah, I tried rebooting the phone a few times too, but it didn't help. I guess I need an iPhone7! Heading to Pocono on Monday, I hope it works, it's a great app when it actually functions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have no problem exporting the videos, the raw video taken by the phone while the app is running.
They show up in the 'gallery' (android), and they allow sharing by email or others (I use dropbox
for free large-file storage).
And the GPS data (when I successfully get them) can also be exported by email is fine (they are
small).

But to see a data-integrated/overlaid video, I *think* is only possible on the phone. Too bad.

My problem is the reliability. It will always capture the video, but more often than not, the data is
gone or incomplete.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Are you on iOS or Android? If iOS there is no way to export video integrated with the overlay. You have to have a Mac and use a trick to play it on the phone and record it on the Mac. Not only is it a pain in the rear, but you only get screen resolution from the Mac which is not great.

There are a few videos on YouTube about it - this guy Fergus Hammond has a series of 3 videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KM81DVyjjI).

This Porsche app is totally frustrating. It is 95% of the way of being very good. Why can't they fix it? I wonder if Porsche is doing it or if they out-sourced it?

I have an iPhone 6. I created a track in my neighborhood and am wondering if that is my problem. I can connect to the car wi-fi (password is GTx followed by the full VIN, no space or dash) and when I pass by the start line it starts recording. But when I hit Stop it will not save a recording.

When I look at my track, though, it does not show the track outline on the right like it does for all the built-in tracks. When I watched a YouTube video, the guy made his own Track and the outline did show up on the Track selection screen.

Do your custom tracks have the outline?

I used Harry's LapTimer (grand prix version which is about $28) at VIR for the first-time last weekend. Here's a sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9if8bdLcjE. I had an OBDII wifi gadget and the app could see the data, but for some reason when I post process it, the data seems to be gone. It uses GPS for the speed, etc. if you don't have OBDII data.

Admiral: does your iPhone connect reliably to other wi-fi networks? I assume it does. If it did not, I'd say you may have an antenna or shielding problem in your phone. My son got a refurb phone and it had that problem. If someone replaces the screen, I believe there is the potential to mess things up a bit on the inside without realizing it.

·
Registered
474 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
If only I had my Mac with me at work. I will try Fergus hammond's method tonight to see if the export works.
It will work. I don't have a Mac, but my son does. I used that method to capture some other video from the phone. As long as the phone will play it, the Mac can capture it.

Does your custom track show a diagram on the Track Management screen? See this image of what I am asking:
TPA-screen-shot.PNG

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can't answer that as I don't have any custom tracks. I used it for the first time this past weekend at Sebring. I used Harry's on Saturday and had trouble in one session with it crapping out due to not sinking with the external GPS or something. Went to Porsche's app on sunday and the one major complaint besides exporting is that if the phone isn't mounted exactly in front of you the lap timing can't be seen while on track. it was on the phone screen, but impossible to see and my phone was mounted in the center of the windshield.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I used it for the first time this past weekend at Sebring.
Ah - you have a built-in course. It gets far worse if you do not. When it is running with a custom track, there is no visual whatsoever except the same home screen and it says "REC" in the bottom right. No lap indications, no nothing!

I have not been able to find any information on how to import a track. You would guess someone around the globe would have figured out how to do this. I exported one, and the file is binary, so can't read it.

Also, found this on an FAQ:
Another way of displaying the smartphone screen of iOS devices on a TV is to use the “Airplay®”* function in combination
with Apple TV®*. Note: Before starting the app, make sure that you are holding the smartphone horizontally (landscape mode). The
view will thus fill the entire TV screen.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Grand-Cayman

Many thanks for directly me to the youtube video by Fergus Hammond. It even helped me to find out my Mac Laptop was 13 upgrades behind in the operating system. Found out when Quicktime wouldn't show my I-Phone. Once updated all worked well. Did find out that if you put on a thumb drive after burning movie in Qucktime you have to use the Import function when uploading to a PC. Direct placement doesn't work. Makes no sense, but that what I found out. Otherwise the video has overlay and looks pretty good. Only wish the video in app and the exported one through quicktime showed the track and position on track. Video also doesn't show the final lap time while running. That would also be nice.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
New problems with Track Precision App. With latest updates to Iphone the app can't export to Circuit Tools (.vbo) file. Works to export a Track Precision App file, but not the .vbo file. Is anyone else having the same problem. God - can't they get this app right....

·
Registered
474 Posts
can't export to Circuit Tools (.vbo) file. Is anyone else having the same problem. God - can't they get this app right....
Have not tried since updating. I sent in some technical questions a while back and got a less than satisfactory answer back. Something like "check with your dealer." I agree, this app is very close to being great. Seems like with a bit more effort they could cross the finish line...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree it could be great. Small fixes like larger lap time and holding the lap time for 10 to 20 seconds so you have time to see would help, Export of data and video could be easier. The analysis part is superb. At Homestead I was able to see what pressure changes did in regard to over/understeer in data plus seat of the pants. Getting ready to call Porsche NA again with new complaints.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is it possible to export the video with full resolution and with overlay?

The reason i ask is that the Movie itself is on my Android device with full hd resolution, but when you export the video WITH overlay the reolution is restricted to the resolution of my screen on my Android device.

Has someone been able to get the overlay afterwards and add it into the full HD video?
I have found the video on the phone with full HD and without the overlay

Is it possible to use a gopro for example and add the overlay? I have Heard about a program called RaceRender, can that be used for my job?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Is it possible to export the video with full resolution and with overlay?

The reason i ask is that the Movie itself is on my Android device ...
It exports fine with iOS, but seems like Android version is less mature and less stable from reading posts. You might check rennlist as well...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts