Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

track times...reference location

91K views 389 replies 120 participants last post by  diverdog 
#1 ·
I want to create a reference for track times for the Cayman at different tracks around the country. this way people can know what they can expect the cayman is capable of when going to a new track.

what do you guys think, we could do something like this, here is my example

track lap time name tires date event type
LRP 1:02.3 craignyc hoosiers 4/9/07 DE

ok so everyone lets get a continuous list going by track!

#2 · (Edited)
track____lap time____name_____tires_______date________event type
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LRP____ 01:02.3 ___craignyc__ hoosiers ___4/9/2007 _____DE

watkins__02:15.6____craignyc__hoosiers___6/21/2007_____DE

VIR_____02:19.2____craignyc___pcups_____7/4/2006_____DE

add yours

#5 ·
Great idea Craig! Here are my fast laps from this year so far...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LRP____ 01:02.8 ___joel-cs__ hoosiers ___4/21/2007 _____DE

watkins__02:18.5____joel-cs__hoosiers___6/23/2007_____DE

#6 ·
Norcal Tracks

Thunderhill
Reno-Fernley
Laguna Seca
Infineon

#8 ·
Should the listings also include how the lap times were taken? What I mean is, a stopwatch time is pretty useless for consistency sake...a transponder or an IR-beam type timer (Like the old Hot Lap system) is more accurate and consistent...Thoughts anyone?

#9 ·
track________lap time ____name____tires____date____mods

LSeca_______1:46.7_____bob_____RA1___4/20/07__camber -1.4/-2.0;PSS9
milltek header/exhaust
pagid sport blue

Thill (bypass)_2:07.1_____bob_____RA1___4/28/07__camber -1.4/-2.0; PSS9
milltek header/exhaust
pagid sport blue

Using AMB transponder

#10 · (Edited)
moton shox
RA1
gt3 seats/harness
all else stock

laguna seca: 1:44:39 (XT timer, similar to AIM)
infineon: 1:54:70 (XT timer, similar to AIM)
t-hill over the top: 2:06:409 (amb timing)
t-hill bypass: 2:03:427 (amb timing)

#20 ·
Solid times John! I was at skip barber in Laguna Seca last w/e and Rene Villeneuve (cousin of Jacques and a former pro racer himself) said a good driver in a base 911 stock would do 1:53s.
FYI, the track record in the skip barber RT 2000 formula cars (little 150hps but weigh 1200lbs) is 1:38.6. They rock!

#12 ·
This is a great idea. Here is the time from my first Cayman event:

Buttonwillow,CA_2:20_____QShip____PS2____5/27/07__lots, see registry

Here are some 3rd party times at VIR, Hockenheim and Nurburgring:

VIR__________3:09.5____Car&Driver_PS2_____11/06___none
N'Ring________8:25_______?_______PS2_____11/06___none
Hockenheim___1:15.9______?_______PS2_____11/06___none

#13 ·
This is a great idea. Here is the time from my first Cayman event:

Buttonwillow,CA_2:20_____QShip____PS2____5/27/07__lots, see registry
button willow has a lot of configurations, which one is this?

#14 ·
I like the addition of camber spec. You may also want to include whether the car had PASM and/or coilovers.

Tires, camber, and suspension are likely to be the biggest determinates of performance (next to driver of course). You could add brakes and engine, but other modifications are not like to make much difference.

#17 ·
my time is for the full course, the first day I was there. 100 degree heat. the second day I ran out of memory on my traqmate and didn't bring my laptop to download, so no times on second day after I learned the course. I was faster the second day but no times, oh well.

#18 ·
Craig, before I kill myself trying to match yours and Joels 1.02 at Lime Rock, I think your suspension mods should be noted. Do you really think a stock CS on stock tires can be expected to turn those kinds of times?:eek: I love this idea, but I think there should be a totally stock category.

#21 ·
Coilovers, R-compounds, and negative camber will make a BIG differance...especially at LRP which is a momentum track. 1:02s is fast, i think a pro might be able to do it in a stock CS but it would be tough. for example, e46 M3 is not far off a CS in terms of laptimes, and the best i could do in stock M3 was 1:04s (i am far from a pro though...)

#19 ·
I think Jayman has a point. I hope no one gets in too deep trying to reach someone else's posted fastest time. Wide variations in car preparation and driving skill mean we should expect wide variations in lap times, but I doubt that many will post times that are quite a bit slower than what's already been posted for a particular track. For example, I've seen fastest times posted for VIR full course ranging from 2:16 to 2:25. These times were all in "stock" CSs, but with different drivers. A very good driver in a track prepared CS may be able to break 2:10 at VIR, while a novice in a stock CS might not be able to break 2:30. That's a 20-second spread, yet both times might represent good laps for their respective car/driver combinations. So let's take posted fastest times for what they are. Our own times may vary.

#25 ·

watkins__02:22.5____alex@princeton__hoosiers___6/27/2007_____DE

hey craig i noticed your laptimes said 6-28-07 did you go to day 2 of kajote i was there for day 1

#28 · (Edited)
6-21 was group 52, and I was there for both days. my mistake I was there the week before.

also regarding LRP, I have done 1.03's with the car stock on pcups. That was a few months after I bought the car and began with the suspension upgrades. The cayman with headers and exhaust is capable of 1.01's or better at LRP. my friend in a bone stock 997s on RA1's runs 1.01's. If you look at the acceleration curve of the cayman with those mods it is pretty darn close to the 997s, and I can carry more speed through big bend and the downhill.

On a side note at the glen last week 2 friends one in e46 M3 and M coupe ran 2.12s at the glen with v710s and suspension mods. And the cayman's acceleration is better. I know the car and myself can get to those numbers. Ernie remember is running 2.11.

All of my times are taken with a traqmate as well as theirs.

#29 ·
also looked back at 1st traqmate day this year( i love the traqmate)

summit point__1:31.4____alex@princeton__hoosiers___6/7/2007_____DE

#30 · (Edited)
Le Circuit Mt-Tremblant -long track- 1:54 (updated)

ICAR Mirabel: 2:00

Calabogie Motorsports track - aprox. 2:25 (real lap time when i go back shortly!)

#31 ·
check this out for how important handling is (vs straight line acceleration/braking alone):

0-100-0 times:

Skip Barber R/t 2000 car: 17.5 seconds
Cayman S stock : 16.5 seconds

Now look at the track records vs our times (yeah i know these times were set by people now likely in formula bmw etc but still...)

Track__________Skip Barber car______Cayman S

VIR____________2:08.55 ____________2:19.2
Laguna Seca____1:38.63_____________1:44.39
Thill____________2:00.85_____________2:03.4
WatkinsGlen______2:09.75____________2:15.6
LRP_____________56.54______________1:02.3

#35 · (Edited)
Pueblo Motorsports ~ high 1.49.xx low 1.50.xx

August 5, 07 timing by Porsche Club - Alpine Chapter. Car was on well used (old) Toyo RA1 for the 1.49; the 1.50 were on "brand" new (now destroyed) Goodyear Eagle F1-GSD3s.

Lesons learned: When running street tires on the track, particularly in the summer on a track where you KNOW it's going to be hot, consider (a) at least having the tires shaved; (b) don't start drifting the tight hair pin corners just because lap traffic is running slow :)

There's still a lot of time the Cayman could take off the 1.50 at Pueblo (aka "PMI") if I were able to do a better job with the car. Bit disappointed I didn't see a bigger difference between the RA1 times (245/40x18F & 275/35x18R) vs. the Goodyears (245/40x18 F & 285/35x18R) mounted on the same rims, 18" BSS RSGT's.

#36 ·
Just trimmed another second off. Car is stock except Toyo's, Pagid RS14 pads and a good front alignment.

track________lap time____name_____tires_______date________event type
Thill (w cylcone)__2:09.85__Quickxotica_Toyo RA1_8/5/07__Time Trial

Recorded with Traqmate.

Video of a 2:10.1 and 2:10.0 back to back is here:
YouTube - Thunderhill Cayman S: Part 2

Also:
Buttonwillow 3.0 CW w/ Star Mazda__2:13.83_5/26/07
Q

#39 ·
Just trimmed another second off. Car is stock except Toyo's, Pagid RS14 pads and a good front alignment.

track________lap time____name_____tires_______date________event type
Thill (w cylcone)__2:09.85__Quickxotica_Toyo RA1_8/5/07__Time Trial

Q
Great lap time John. With LSD, MPSCs,aggressive camber (-3.4 and -2.8), GIAC and Milltek exhaust (i sold those ridiculous headers) and PSS9s I managed a 2:07.5 when I was there couple weeks ago with Trackmasters. I was pretty pumped about that until I saw that puts me in TT06 and i think the record is 2:05.5 so I still have a ways to go. In your stock class you're right on top of it! i checked and it's 2.09.2

I would love for some Caymans to have the lap records for some of our events. If u keep at it and Mooty buys back his trusty Cayman ( i know he misses it) we could really represent at these things!

BTW, I can no longer make the 9/22 PCA thill. Hope u and mooty have a great time. Is there another at Thill or just Laguna in Dec?

#37 ·
Trackpedia.com track comparison times

Another interesting alternative for posting both times AS WELL AS making somekind of vehicle to vehicle comparisons is available at:

Trackpedia - Main Page

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.