Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I do have the Tarrett studs (even the rear studs since I forgot you don't remove the rear calipers to change pads) and I've been running Pagid yellow pads. I was changing back to street pads last night when I realized all the front and rear tire wear.

I've been looking at 18 and 19 inch wheels but I don't see as many 18" tires available. If I use 19" tires, they'd be the same 35 profile as I currently have on the 20's which makes me kind of worried when driving over corner curbing.

BTW, you can't really hit curbs in a kart so it's a really fun new experience.

· Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
958 Posts
I run 245/40/18 on front and 275/40/18 on rear, but I've seen people running 235/265, 245/285, 255/285, 255/295. So, several options depending on what wheels you select.

The Pagid pads are probably contributing to your tire issues. Those pads have so much more stopping power than stock, that you are putting a lot more heat into the tires.

Reactions: David713

· Registered
2018 RS 60 Spyder 2014 Boxster S track prepped
9 Posts
The Pagid pads are probably contributing to your tire issues. Those pads have so much more stopping power than stock, that you are putting a lot more heat into the tires.
Same observation here @ ledbette. You have race pads and summer tires. bad combination, these tires are running way too hot that the rubber melted, that's not unsual for R-Comp or slicks but not for a 300 treadwear tire. You should have kept factory pads and the P4S or went with 0 to 200 treadwear tires.

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I’ve picked up a used set of 19” wheels and will likely mount A052’s for my next DE. I feel I’m sliding down the slippery slope to a GT4 :)

Reactions: ledbette and drejw2

· Registered
958 Posts
I feel I’m sliding down the slippery slope to a GT4 :)
I slipped down the slope and fell over it. After 4 years of DE's in my daily-driver 981 BS and pushing it to the edge and occasionally beyond, I went to something I could walk away from - both safety-wise and financially. Also, realizing life is too short not to, I bought a race car and decided to go racing.

Reactions: snakebitten

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
After two track weekends on Cup 2 tires, I'm getting similar tread separation. I had the alignment done when the tires (245/35-19 and 275/35-19) were put on which got me -1.7 and -1.9 front and rear camber. My cold pressures are 28 psi and I bleed pressure off to not exceed 36 psi track temp. I don't have excessive understeer but I am over braking in a few areas. Not sure if it's my driving, the air pressure, a tire problem, or ??
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

· Registered
958 Posts
I've not seen many people get good longevity out of 35's on the Boxster/Cayman. I suspect they have a tendency to delaminate more due to the shorter sidewall which doesn't flex as well. With >240TW, they seem to hold up better, but the grip isn't particularly good on the track.

Did these have street miles too, or just two track weekends? What's the date code on the tire and what run group are you in? I have a buddy who ran Cup 2's on his Cayman in the Advanced group and got maybe 6 track days out of them.

From just looking at the pics, my gut would say if you want to run this tire/wheel combo, you're gonna need more camber.

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I have seen GT4's running the same 19 x 8.5 and 10 wheels as these with 245/40 and 285/35 tires so perhaps that would help and what I'll try next.

Only street miles are to the track. Yellow run group.

I have camber maxed out at -1.7

My guess at this point is 36 psi hot is too much so I'll limit to 34 on the next set. This will mean starting at 26-27 psi.

I'm not terribly smooth yet so I'm likely overdriving and braking.

And finally, not letting the tires cool off when they start to feel greasy.

· Registered
1 Posts
To me it looks like you need a lot more camber. I've read elsewhere that -2.5 degrees is a good starting point, but you'll need to go the LCA route to get that.

Also not sure about the cup 2s, but for the PS4S, I had best results with a hot pressure of 33-34psi. Any higher and they got greasy and fell off.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.