Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of fun in my 2006 CS at the PCA track day on June 5. Riding with the me was my intrepid friend and PCA instructor extraordinaire Bill Bauer, who was either not nervous or was struck dumb with terror.:hilarious:

The video camera was confused by the bright sunlight--rare for Seattle.

http://youtu.be/kEjDM4OsWto

Terry

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Looks like fun. Interesting track. Those walls look a bit intimidating, esp at that pinch point. Are you sure that wasn't Jack Bauer riding along?

It's a shame we have such a good GoPro mounting point in our Caymans but on bright sunny days the video washes out. My best run at Laguna Seca has almost the same effect and you lose the ability to see corner lines, etc. Not sure how to combat that. Maybe the newer GPs adjust. Mine's a GP 2.

Speaking of mounting points, how do you have your camera mounted? Looks like it's on some sort of a swivel.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
I have to comment on some of the video:
1) Your grip seems to be fairly loose on numerous occasions. Basically one hand has good grip and the other doesn't, especially in turns where its needed.
2) Are there different requirements for students and instructors? You have long sleeve whereas he is in shirt sleeves.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a great track, but a serious car killer if you screw up. I've been running there for 26 years and have seen a lot of carnage. But it's second only to VIR as my favorite of the tracks I've driven.

My camera is a Replay XD, mounted to the side of my helmet. It usually works pretty well.

Terry

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to comment on some of the video:
1) Your grip seems to be fairly loose on numerous occasions. Basically one hand has good grip and the other doesn't, especially in turns where its needed.
2) Are there different requirements for students and instructors? You have long sleeve whereas he is in shirt sleeves.
I try to drive with my thumbs, forefingers, and palms. I learned it from a terrific instructor many years ago, who recommended it to keep relaxed and precise.

We are both instructors. The local PCA allows short sleeves, but I wear long sleeves all the time.

Terry

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Forgot to ask... What is the sticky note on your center stack?

I have a mental list of 5 things to do before I leave the pits - Traqmate, PASM, SC, spoiler, and GoPro. Kind feels like a space launch sequence at times. Only recently started doing the spoiler up as there were lots of times it was down at COTA (based on the photographer's pics).

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Forgot to ask... What is the sticky note on your center stack?

I have a mental list of 5 things to do before I leave the pits - Traqmate, PASM, SC, spoiler, and GoPro. Kind feels like a space launch sequence at times. Only recently started doing the spoiler up as there were lots of times it was down at COTA (based on the photographer's pics).
The list you saw is the sequence of buttons that need to be pushed to turn on the video camera. Since it's mounted on my helmet, I can't see the buttons. I've goofed it up too many times and missed a lot of video. Checklists are a very good idea--I plan to expand mine. I once drove an entire race in SCCA Spec Racer Ford (an open cockpit car) with my helmet unbuckled--the paddock workers missed it. It became obvious on the front straight, when it creeped up over my eyes at about 100 mph. I drove the whole race clamping it down with one hand on the straight. Another time, I got back to the pits and discovered I had not attached the HANS tethers. Oops!

In the Cayman last week, I forgot to turn off the TC in one session and wondered why the car felt like it had dropped a cylinder in the hairpin. I'd like to have it default to TC off, but that ain't happenin'!

Terry

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
In my 1st DE with this Cayman and probably the 3rd session I forgot to turn on PASM. Wondered why I was wallowing around. Took about 2-3 laps before I figured it out. That's when I started my mental checklist.

Haven't forgotten to buckle my helmet. That must have been exciting when it first manifested itself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts