Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a couple of older threads on this issue, but wanted the latest and greatest data.

When changing into track wheels, I need to know how to remove the street wheels to avoid damaging TPMS. Any tricks? What do I look for? Anything I need to know when re-installing these wheels after a track day?

After installing the track wheels, unless I want to install new TPMS sensors, I assume I just ignore TPMS and it will not affect the car in any way (PSM, etc.) on a 2009 Cayman S. Is this correct?

Any other info on this topic would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I don't believe there's any trick to swapping wheels if each set has TPMS. My experience is you just indicate via the stalk that you have changed wheels and tell the car the size and after a few mins the computer recognizes them. That said though, I am not running TPMS in my track wheels and just get the idiot light on the dash which I ignore. So far no issues.

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
When changing into track wheels, I need to know how to remove the street wheels to avoid damaging TPMS.
The TPMS sensor/transmitter is at the top of the valve stem and is entirely inside the wheel & tire. The receiver is inside the wheel well liners. There's nothing that interferes in any way with wheel removal from the car so there are no tricks, tips or concerns related to TPMS.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I had some issues with my TPS sensors at the track last summer. As the pressures went up I got errors. I tried setting with hot pressures and cold pressures. The pressures would go up and I'd get a flat tire warning.

·
Caymaniac
5,655 Posts
I had some issues with my TPS sensors at the track last summer. As the pressures went up I got errors. I tried setting with hot pressures and cold pressures. The pressures would go up and I'd get a flat tire warning.
My experience has been the same. Be prepared for the "your tire blew and you are going to die" warning while going around a corner at 70 mph. The first time it happens is quite entertaining.:(

I run my 18 inch wheels without sensors and ignore the display.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Mark your street wheels so you put the left and right tires back in their original positions. This will save having to reinput tire data. I run no TPMS in my track wheels with no problems other the dash warning.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
The first time it happens is quite entertaining
I'll second that. The car feels fine and you want to ignore the warning. At the same time you think what if this is an early warning of an impending disaster. I pitted the first time and ignored the rest of the warnings.

It's too bad you can't see the hot pressures accurately displayed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts