Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woohoo! - Rockingham this weekend.

Tyre pressures standard on the CS are 32 front 36 rear, what should I pump them up to for track use?

Can I expect it to use quite a bit of oil if I spend all day thrashing it?

Does the manual tell me how I configure screen for chrono lap times? (shhh) :)

Is the toe eye quite obvious and easy to fit?

The CS with PSM off a handful? ;)

Thanks!
A

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,305 Posts
Fantastic... You are going to have so much fun. Here are some of my suggestions.

Woohoo! - Rockingham this weekend.

Tyre pressures standard on the CS are 32 front 36 rear, what should I pump them up to for track use?
Start with the stock recommended pressures, then adjust accordingly. Depending on your driving style, surface and temperature, your pressures may be high or low. I always ask my instructors for advice, and I always seek out other Caymans at the track to see what they're running for pressure.

Can I expect it to use quite a bit of oil if I spend all day thrashing it?
The first time I went I brought a few extra quarts. To my surprise, my car hasn't used a drop of oil at the track. I say bring one or two, just in case. But chances are you won't need any.

Does the manual tell me how I configure screen for chrono lap times? (shhh) :)
I find that when I'm at the track, my concentration is totally consumed by the experience and I cannot be distracted by trying to activate the lap timer at the right spot. Instead, at the beginning of my run, during the first warm up lap, I reset the average speed calculator. Then take a look when you are leaving the track. This will give you a good idea if your average speed is improving. Watching times lap to lap is like watching the stock market hour by hour.

Is the toe eye quite obvious and easy to fit?
Very easy to fit. I snug mine by putting the headlight tool inside it and using it to tighten it a little.

The CS with PSM off a handful? ;)

Thanks!
A
If you're new to the track, leave PSM on. It could make a difference.

If you're provoking PSM responses, that's a pretty good indicator that you need to work on your driving. When you get to the point where PSM is doing nothing, then you can turn it off.

Other things to think about and / or bring along:
  • Water. Lots of water. It's easy to get dehydrated at the track, and that will alter your ability to concentrate.
  • Healthy snacks. Granola bars, fruit, etc... Something to cut the hunger edge so you don't need to to looking for food.
  • Sun screen. Chances are, you'll be out in the sun more than usual.
  • Bug repellent. If the track is in the country, the bugs are going to munch on you.
  • Hat or cap. It will provide sun block for your head, and hide your helmet head hairdo after your run is over.
  • Wrist watch. Don't leave this home. Everything runs on a schedule.
  • Tire pressure gauge. Don't rely on the TPMS for pressures. You'll want something more accurate.
  • Track log book. Record your mileage in and out. Record your tire pressures and how the car felt. Notes on how you did, what you had trouble with, what you were good at, etc....
  • Tarp. You will want to empty your car of everything. The front tool kit, air compressor, rear cargo privacy cover, cargo nets, owners manuals, floor mats. A tarp will be a good place to put everything.
  • Folding chair. A nice place to rest between runs.
Have a great time. The Cayman is so much fun on the track.

BTW - I've moved your thread to the Cayman Competition area. Our resident track experts watch that area and are more likely to comment if it's there.

·
Registered
317 Posts
As usual GB is spot on. :)

Here is a Driver Education checklist that is very helpful. http://www.planet-9.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=200
This is the first page of my track notebook. I have added large trashbags to the list in case it rains. Good place to put those things that you do not want getting wet. I can't remember if a plastic bin is on the list. Rubbermaid makes an 18 gallon plastic bin that fits perfectly into the Frunk (Front Trunk) which holds almost all of my track stuff. I use the garbage bags for things like luggage, laptop etc.etc.

Clean out the car before you go. Look under the seat, behind the seat, in the storage bins. If there is anything loose, it will end up in the footwell. The braking power of this car even on street tires and stock brakes is very good. I leave the floormats @ home. I also added an extra pair of sneakers to the list. I hate wearing wet shoes all day.

Most of all, bring an open mind. Leave the ego behind. I thought I was a good, fast driver before my first event. HA! I was wrong.

You will have a BLAST!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking like heavy showers on Saturday, I'll keep PSM on. :)

Have driven Rockingham before in S2000, but that was bone dry sunny day.

In the wet, could be interesting (or dull) I'll have to see, nothing you can do about the weather I suppose.

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,305 Posts

·
On Probation
582 Posts
sounds like a lot of good advise from experience....i will add clothes...dress normal and easy ..nothing new like shoes or thick socks

·
PCA / POC Member & Club Donor
1,932 Posts
For street tires on the track you may want to set the pressures even front and rear. The car will exhibit better balance and you will get a very good idea from the pressure increase which end of the car is working harder.

Also, you do not want your street tires to get over 38 psi hot or they will get very slippery and start to come apart. Start at 32 cold, check after your first run and note the pressure relative (e.g., +2 psi) to your target hot pressure (38), wait for the tires to cool and pressures to drop then adjust each tire by the previously noted delta. This process will likely result in even pressures at your target during the next session.

Have fun and be safe.

Cheers,

·
Registered
238 Posts
Gator Bite is right on target, no pun intended. I bought a large storage container for my weekend down at Sebring and it is far superior to tarps, or garbage bags, especially if the weather gets bad.

In addition to water I would add gatorade; and maybe some Coke or Pepsi in case you need a little sugar jolt.

There is no way to have more fun with your clothes on; have a great time.

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
Add some chalk or white shoe polish to your kit. Put a mark on the shoulder of each tire to give you a visual clue about your tire inflation and how far you are "rolling over" onto your shoulders. It can save you from cording your perfectly good tires. If you find that you are too far over, add air a pound or two at a time.

I would start at stock pressure (+ 2 for the fronts).

You would probably be fine for a day without worrying about them, so don't stress if "information overload" keeps you from religiously monitoring them. (If this is your first time out.)

Stop reading here unless you enjoy "being prepared" as part of the fun. :)

Make sure you have your wheel lock key with you, and bring the right sized lug wrench socket so you can borrow a torque wrench to make sure your wheels stay on. LOL.

If you were a Boy Scout like me, then you will toss zip ties and duct tape in your box since you can build/fix/modify anything besides the most sophisticated electronics with those two items alone. ;)

You will never use them on YOUR car, but it is always nice to help out a Ferrari driver when he is down and out.

I tossed in one of those windshield "star" repair syringe kits, because I got smacked by a rock once kicked up by a guy in an EVO who intentionally cut a corner and went off road in front of me. Someone at the track gave me his kit and I fixed the chip right there. Now I am waiting to return the favor to the universe.

Roll of paper towels and windshield cleaner. :cheers:

Have fun.

·
Registered
882 Posts
A rainy day DE is actually good. It will force us to concentrate on smooth and balance. I did an April De at VIR in the rain and it really helped my driving technique.

Drive safe and have fun. Also bring a camera. Usually lots of neat cars to see. Ed

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
A rainy day DE is actually good. It will force us to concentrate on smooth and balance. I did an April De at VIR in the rain and it really helped my driving technique.

Drive safe and have fun. Also bring a camera. Usually lots of neat cars to see. Ed
Rain is great when you are on street rubber. It shows just how much those sticky tires are really "cheater tires". All of the sudden the Hoosier Heros are slow.:hilarious:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts