Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All I can say is, "WOW". The balance and poise with which this car corners is surreal. The event I attended at Pocono on Friday was about half other Porsches, including several GT3's and GT2's. I am by no means an expert driver - I have about 30 track days lifetime. During one session I was behind a GT3 for the better part of five or six laps. Each time we hit the NASCAR straight he pulled away (but by less than I would have thought). However every time we came back into the infield I was right back on his bumper. What a car. What a car. I don't even think my Atom would get around the track that fast. I'll try to post a video clip if I can figure out how to do that. If you own a 981 S/GTS and have not had it on a circuit, you owe it to yourself to find a way to do it. Again, WOW. (Now I have to figure out how to get my hands on a GT4.)

·
Registered
948 Posts
I know that feeling, the GTS is so wonderfully balanced - the car feels like it wants to take you to the edge and hang out there (almost) effortlessly.

Do you have PTV and are you running on the Goodyears or Other tires?

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Also, did you run stock brakes or did you do something to address the brakes heating up ??

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Everything on the car is stock, including the very ordinary Pirelli PZero rubber, which is what made it even more remarkable. This group ran very short sessions (18 minutes), I didn't notice any brake fade. I don't have torque vectoring, but I do have sport suspension.

to be clear, this was an HPDE event, not a race. I also know that that if the GT3 had been in the hands of an expert, I wouldn't have been hanging on his bumper for very long, but it still makes me feel good ��

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funny, I bought the Atom last year to use for track days, in part because I got tired of the maintenance costs associated with tracking my road cars (e.g., spending $2k/set of tires for GT-R gets old, and the GT-R wasn't exactly easy on the consumables. McLaren track costs are, well, let's just say commensurate with its performance and price. I keep that one on the road only now.) The Atom is a blast on the track for sure, particularly in nicer weather, and it's cheap to operate, but now I'm not certain it'll be my default choice anymore - the Cayman was THAT fun. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who tracks their Cayman frequently what their experience has been with respect to tire/brake life and other maintenance items?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Slippery indeed. I heard this several times and it is true.

"I want my track car to be":
A) Fast
B) Reliable
C) Inexpensive

You may only choose two of the three choices above.

Reactions: Mike R. and DFW

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Slippery indeed. I heard this several times and it is true.

"I want my track car to be":
A) Fast
B) Reliable
C) Inexpensive

You may only choose two of the three choices above.
I know that the brakes and tires are sacrificial when it comes to tracking cars, and I expect these costs. I was more concerned if there are any 'unusual' maintenance issues/problems unique to 981's that seem to be triggered by running the cars hard on a circuit. e.g., suspension bits that might fail prematurely, engine issues, etc.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I know that the brakes and tires are sacrificial when it comes to tracking cars, and I expect these costs. I was more concerned if there are any 'unusual' maintenance issues/problems unique to 981's that seem to be triggered by running the cars hard on a circuit. e.g., suspension bits that might fail prematurely, engine issues, etc.
So far, after (4) HPDE track weekends and (35) autocross events, I've just experienced accelerated maintenance such as oil changes, high temp brake fluid flushes, several track alignments etc. I have just over 9,000 miles so I'm expectiing to change my front pads and potentially look for upgraded rotors in the future (Sebring is tough on brakes). I've already replaced my track tires once. Finally, I added the X-73 sport suspension and had BGB Motorsports install it for me. It was a great addition.

Track Insurance has been the most expensive thing so far. I spend about $450 per event. To lower costs, I recently bought an unlimited event, annual policy for $3,200 with a 5% agreed value deductible which lowers my exposure to loss.

I've resisted the urge to buy a trailer and instead rent U-haul when needed. All told, I'm well into $17k all inclusive in my first year just to track my car. Slippery slope indeed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. Who writes your track insurance policy? The annual number seems very reasonable to me if you go often. I had a $17k repair bill in 2011 when my Lotus Elise lost an argument with the pit wall at NJ Motorsports Park, and I had to eat that one. Still been 'self insuring' since, but I know that keeps me below the limits, and maybe also limits my improvement.

Also been thinking about a trailer (covered) myself, although more for the Atom, since rain at any point on the ride to/from the track is most annoying. Does Porsche recommend a different alignment specification for track days? My GT-R had one, but I got tired of paying to switch it back and forth, and the track alignment killed the tires quickly on the road, as outer shoulders wore down to nothing in no time.

·
Registered
331 Posts
.......... All told, I'm well into $17k all inclusive in my first year just to track my car. Slippery slope indeed.
About 5 years ago I did a track cost spreadsheet, it told me that I spent $7.50 per track mile. I don't measure that anymore.

Does your track insurance cover a blown engine or just physical damage from wadding it up?

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
About 5 years ago I did a track cost spreadsheet, it told me that I spent $7.50 per track mile. I don't measure that anymore.

Does your track insurance cover a blown engine or just physical damage from wadding it up?
Sounds plausible. I try not to think about it. I do sometimes sit out a session or come in early though when the enjoyment does not equal the cost. Recent example was the last session of a Sunday with BMWCCA at Road Atlanta when A and B run groups were blended. I came in early but should have skipped it entirely and gotten a headstart home.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'm with you, if I notice my concentration slipping (taking a bad line is always a clue), I'm finished for that session.
Skipped the first 2 sessions at COTA on Sunday because it was pouring. Arrived in time for session 3 which was 75% dry track, sessions 4 & 5 were great.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts