Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

Trade-in 981 GTS for new GT4 or used GT3

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Augie 
#1 ·
Crazy hypothetical: Local dealer is ‘confident’ that I can get an allocation for new GT4. I’ve had a deposit sitting with them for years on a GT3 allocation, so I’m not sure I believe them. They also have two CPO GT3 cars. They are both $15-$20k over msrp, but if money was no object (which it is, otherwise I’d keep my CGTS), what would you do?

I had 991.1S that I traded in for my CGTS (had 3 Caymans before the 911) because the 911 felt ‘big’ to me. I know a 2018 GT3 and a 2013 911S are very different animals, but I wonder if I would wind up feeling the same way and wished I’d gone the GT4 route. Like I said, this is purely hypothetical as I am not convinced I want to get rid of my GTS.

#2 ·
To me the GT3 does feel bigger than GT4, so that may still be an issue for you. Maybe test drive will help settle that. I would not pay over msrp for an 18 GT3. A lot were produced and if you shop nationally you may find better deals. I think the 991.1 GT3 is currently a good value with about 5 years engine warranty left. The catch is what happens to values in a few years when the engine warranty is winding down if the engine hasn't been replaced.

#3 ·
Thanks Zed. So I haven’t been following the 718 GT4 development as closely as perhaps I should have, but I just read something online that these would not be limited production runs, like the GT3. If that is true, is the dealer busting my chops about a ‘possible allocation’ or do they still get a finite number allocated to them?

And will there be PTS available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
To be honest I'm not following that closely either as I concluded I would not upgrade to the 718 GT4 street version. There are some threads in the 718 section with discussion on limits. Just my observation, but GT3, RS are not limited models either. The 911R and Speedster are true limited runs of a specific number. I'm sure Porsche has a production plan for the 718 GT4 with maybe some flexibility so in that sense there is a limit. As far as I know the allocation process is the same as all other models so individual dealers may get less than the deposits and "lists" they have. I would not be surprised at all if high demand areas like CA have dealers asking for ADM at least early on. As I understand it there is not currently a PTS option. Dealers may have more info on if or when there may be a PTS window. PDK is another unknown but there seem to be strong suggestions it will come later.

#6 ·
I'm somewhat in the same boat. I've currently got a Cayman GTS and I'm waiting for the GT4 to be offered with a PDK. My next car is going to be a GT4 or a CPO GT3. The prices on 991.1 GT3s are finally coming down that the difference between a well optioned GT4 and a CPO GT3 isn't that great. Two dealers in my area have a 2014 and 2015 that are pretty well equipped. Probably when the 714 GT4 comes, it will probably come down to a drive.

The one thing I seem to have a hard time finding out is what are the equipment differences between 2014, 2015, and 2016 GT3s.

#7 ·
There's plenty about GT4 & Spyder production, allocations, deliverers, etc. in other posts.
Westcoaster is the expert.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.