Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK..so I have an 08 Cayman 2.7....love the car but wish it had a little more go. I bought it new and so it is in pristine condition. Was thinking about whether my desire for a little more punch would require me to move to an S but then would have to consider used (cost) and also take a hit on depreciation on mine. So I was thinking and wanted to know....if I spent some $'s on mods would it get me close....ie would Intake / Softronic Flash / Plenum and Exhaust on a 2.7 = a stock Cayman S? I don't need tons of power...won't track it or anything like that...just wish it had a little more punch. What do you think?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm in the same boat and am taking the mod route. So far I have done the SRP/flash and plan to do the exhaust next. I don't think all these mods will quite equate to the S, but it might be in the same ballpark. :)

On an unrealed note, I drove my brothers new (to him) '04 40th aniv ed. 996 this weekend for the first time. 345hp in stock form will really put a smile on your face.. I'm sure I could get in trouble if I owned that one. :drivingskid:

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Well, I have an '08 S and I wish it had just a little more.... The problem seems to be that a little more is never enough. If I had the cash and was willing to forgo the warranty I would opt for the final solution. TPC turbo.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
If I had the cash and was willing to forgo the warranty I would opt for the final solution. TPC turbo.
Agreed. I feel that the only 'upgrade' from a Cayman is a 911TT, GT2, or GT3. Although I haven't driven any of those, it is just my guess at this point, but that is my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
would Intake / Softronic Flash / Plenum and Exhaust on a 2.7 = a stock Cayman S?
No. My advice is to trade up. Mods are a throwaway, investment-wise, and an '09-'10 S runs ~110mph in the quarter mile, bone stock. Get an LSD while you're at it. The difference between a 2.7 and a new 3.4 will be breathtaking.

·
Banned
3,496 Posts
Poults and Others

I think a lot of us 2.7 Owners have that same feeling and it seems to never go away ?
Poults , I have done Every mod Imaginable to my 2.7 and it still will not get the performance of the 3.4 (Somewhat close though) .I now believe the 2.7 was Squeezed out to get the 245 HP but the 3.4 was left for more Room to move up in terms of HP performance .

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Re: Poults and Others

If Cayman S is the target then trade or turbo! 2.7 with all these mods will run like the new 2.9. But not close to 3.4. I traded, you can search the forum for that story.

Turbo on 2.7 will get it to or past the 3.4... but then there is a 3.4 turbo and I think 3.8 turbo as well...

·
Banned
3,496 Posts
Tomasz

I would not trade my 2.7 liter for an S Model after all I have done to it .
Call me Crazy ,thats just the way I am :taunt:

·
Registered
156 Posts
OK..so I have an 08 Cayman 2.7....love the car but wish it had a little more go. I bought it new and so it is in pristine condition. Was thinking about whether my desire for a little more punch would require me to move to an S but then would have to consider used (cost) and also take a hit on depreciation on mine. So I was thinking and wanted to know....if I spent some $'s on mods would it get me close....ie would Intake / Softronic Flash / Plenum and Exhaust on a 2.7 = a stock Cayman S? I don't need tons of power...won't track it or anything like that...just wish it had a little more punch. What do you think?
Tough call although I think you would be better off going with the S. For starters, modding always starts out mild and then often gets out of control. I have seen friends do it time and again and it never seems to stop. What you may lose in depreciation on your current vehicle, you will more than make up for in satisfaction when you get into an S! Then you can start modding the S and have the best of both worlds haha.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi....I had the same dilemma. Three weeks ago I traded in my 2.7 for a Gen II 3.4 and as somebody on this thread already wrote there is a world of difference. (had my 2.7 for two years and absolutely loved it....but wished it had a bit more umph...)

I would reco you go and do a test drive or two in a 3.4 before doing ANYTHING....see if it makes as much of a difference to you as you thought/would like it to. If so it might make your decision easier.

Also....I went this route as I know nothing about mods.....

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
You have a tough decision in front of you...

The base motor is EVERYTHING when it comes to performance. Which is why I'm surprised so many 2.7s and now 2.9s will be bought..

ALWAYS... I mean ALWAYS... lest I repeat... ALWAYS buy the bigger motor to start.

Obviously taking the decpreciation "hit" will hurt a lot... but if you're like most "car guys", you'll NEVER... again... NEVER have enough power.

SO... depending on your financial circumstances, I'd be inclined to sell your 2.7 and buy a 3.4 (07 or 08)... you should come out OK..

And then like many of us... (I'm still saving $ and trying to convince the "better half")... go straight to to the APC turbo kit... w/ th intercooler (of course)...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts