Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I crazy?

My Boxster has around 25K Miles and the 996TT has 63K.

I figure I could probably get into the Turbo for about $7-10K. I was thinking it could be a year round car. I live in the northeast.

My main worries were

-Older car with more miles
-Repair bills
-No convertible

The pros are

-It's a turbo
-It's a color combo I like
-I could drive it every day until I sell it.

Has anyone made the switch between the two?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Hey, you only live once.

That being said, there's quite a bit of difference between the two. Have you driven the turbo? It will not be as lively from a handling aspect as your Boxster but will be from an acceleration aspect. Totally different animals.

What years are we talking about (both)?

Does the TT have maintenance records?

And just because it's AWD, you'll still need a set of snows for it if you plan to drive in the winter. Isn't it supposed to snow this w/e in the northeast?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have thought about making this switch as well.

The acceleration of the Turbo is intoxicating, but you would be giving up a tighter, lighter platform. In my opinion, a driver will become accustom to the increase in power over a period in time. That power eventually loses its luster. Although on the other hand, tighter handling does not usually experience that same fade. This is why I have not made the jump--I love the handling in my CS.

Having said that; do it! let us know how it goes. I'm sure there are many lurkers who have pondered this selection.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
I had gone from a 2005 Boxster S to a 997 Turbo a few years ago. The Turbo was an amazing car, and for the most part felt like the Boxster S on major steroids. However some of that was because the interiors looked and felt the same. Prior to purchasing the 997 Turbo I had driven a 996 Turbo, but to me it felt a bit too rough around the edges. Some of that may have been due to how the car was maintained, but some was clearly due to the interior. I'm just not a fan of the 996 interiors. They seem a bit too cheap for my tastes.

If I were to give to a recommendation, it would be to look for a 997 Turbo instead. They cost more but maintenance costs are cheaper and the interior (at least to me) is so much nicer.

As far as maintenance costs go, just be aware that the spark plugs need to be changed every 4 years or (I think) 30,000 mile, and that's a 7 hour job.

Either way, I don't think you can go wrong with a 996 Turbo, but it's a bit too old for my personal tastes.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
481 Posts
If you are a "turbo" fan then what about having the motor rebuilt in the Boxster with stronger internals and put in a TPC turbo?

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I have a friend who owned a 996 turbo which he sold a couple years ago. He really loved the car and owned it for over five years before he sold it. I think older pre-owned Porsches are a great option for those who can do their own maintenance. My friend does virtually 100% of the maintenance on his Porsches, and he even gets parts at wholesale. If you have neither the time or the inclination to do your own maintenance, it will be essential to find a Porsche indy. Having a 996 turbo maintained at a Porsche dealership will cost a significant amount of money, even without major issues occurring. A 996 Porsche turbo was at one time a $100,000 car, and it will have maintenance expenses consistent with a six figure car. Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I had an '01 996TT that I bought new. Owned it for a year (put about 12,000km on it as a daily driver). It was fast, and pretty (minus the awkward headlights) but it wasn't very satisfying as a sports car. Too big, too heavy, too soft. The interior was pretty substandard in a $165,000 (Can.) car, and it had numerous mechanical issues in its first year of life (granted it was the first year of the 996TT and numerous changes were made throughout its run).

Whether it's a good switch depends what you want in a car. In my view, a 987.1 BS is a lot more taut, and a much more tactile experience, especially with the top down. A 996TT is more like a rocket sled.

996TT pros:

Fast, even by today's standards
Very slow depreciation
AWD

996TT cons:
It's a turbo (twin turbos...old and expensive to replace/repair if required)

Newer non-turbo 911s have come a long way. For comparison purposes, my NA 997.2 GTS has only 7 less hp than the 996TT, weighs about 300 pounds less (with its GT2 seats) than an 01 TT (later TTs were even heavier) and has about equal overall performance. The 997.2 interior is miles ahead of the 996 (as are the 987.1 and 997.1 interiors), and so is the overall comfort level with PASM (996TT was really unpleasant on rough roads). Think hard about stepping a generation back...you will gain power and acceleration, but lose a lot of things you probably take for granted in your 987.

I understand completely why 996TTs are so attractive. Personally, however, I think your low-mileage BS is a more interesting ride than the Turbo...and certainly less risky financially. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can't speak for the 996TT, but I had a 997.1 Carrera Cab before my current 987.1 BS. From everything I have read, the 997 was a major upgrade from 996. I loved my 997, but from a handling point of view, the 987 is the way to go.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm fortunate enough to have both. An '07 Boxster S and an '02 TT.
I love driving each one in it's own special way. The Boxster handles better, but the TT is just astonishing in both it's power and ultimate grip.

If I was to only have 1? I'd keep the TT.

Be sure to check out the forums on 6speed and rennlist. You'll find a wealth of info that might help you avoid buying into a money pit!

Good Luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts