Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, I didn't really see a better place, although this is rather local and a bit off-topic, it's good info for drivers in the area)

Watch your driving: Highway Safety Corridor established on 495 - The Dispatch News Online
Watch your driving: Highway Safety Corridor established on 495
The Lowell Sun
POSTED: 11/18/2014 05:29:10 PM EST

CHELMSFORD -- A new Highway Safety Corridor Program has been established for Interstate 495 through the towns of Chelmsford, Westford, Littleton, Boxboro, Bolton and Berlin, the Massachusetts State Police and the state Department of Transportation announced Tuesday.

The aim of the program is to "drastically reduce" the number of crashes and encourage safe driving in the area, which was selected due to incidence of speeding and driving-related crashes resulting in injuries and fatalities, according to a Tuesday afternoon press release.

Eight locations throughout the corridor will receive public safety signs reading "Highway Safety Corridor/Laws Strictly Enforced." Additional State Police patrols will also be on hand "to enforce speed limits, reduce aggressive driving and prevent distracted driving," the release states.

"As both the winter season and the holidays approach, we want drivers to be especially mindful of the dangers posed by speeding," said Frank DePaola, acting secretary and CEO of MassDOT. "Establishing this stretch of I-495 as a Highway Safety Corridor allows us to sharpen our focus on an area well-known for excessive speeds and to enforce the laws to make this corridor safer."

The program utilizes radar technology to calculate the average rate of speed through the corridor. When the data shows vehicle speeds above the posted limit, it can be used to deploy State Police patrols at the appropriate times and locations.
The radar equipment measures the average rate of speed of the whole corridor and cannot identify individual vehicles or drivers.

The enforcement program is funded with $201,000 from the Highway Safety Improvement Program, and aims to curb speeding and other moving violations under the Massachusetts Strategic Highway Safety Plan. It includes the purchase of eight variable message boards with radar. Data collected from the radar will be used to measure the effect of additional State Police patrols on average vehicle speeds. The equipment will be used in the future to establish additional Highway Safety Corridor campaigns along other portions of state highway.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Bottom line is speeding and driving like you're on the track when on the interstate will lead to tickets so don't do it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Good thing - you can use exactly those 'average speed' calculations to fight a possible ticket. In MA you win in court almost all the time if you can show numbers that proof that 70-80% of all motorists on that stretch of the road where you got the ticked from are driving above the speed limit.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Yeah, the autoblog feed is the domain of the feed bot, who is very verbose and repetitive. This info if specific to the NE region so I moved it there. Your good.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
What a coincidence. I just drove through there, this afternoon. They are out in FULL FORCE. Set the cruise at 70 (65 limit) and let all the crazies fly by. Nice Post, manx.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was getting a lot of coverage on the local news today (channel 7) so I suspect they wanted to make sure we all appreciated the 200 grand they spent on our behalf.

Happy it helped!

Thanks to moderator for moving it here under Nor'Easters

1 - 6 of 6 Posts