Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, been away from the forum a while.

Still very interested in a hitch for the 981, is there any hope anywhere for a plug-n-play solution?

Plus, if not, that would preclude using my bike rack that plugs into a 1-1/" hitch and I'd like a way to avoid borrowing the wife's S2000 every time I want to take a bike. Worried about any hitch that might rest upon possibly delicate body panels.

Disclaimer: I "retired" in June or, more accurately, I euthanized my career. Doing home projects and stuff but a focus on getting back into shape so I'm cycling 5 days a week when weather permits. That said, there's a nice paved trail that leads almost to my house but I really need a change of scenery so I'd like to take the bike somewhere on the back of the Boxster.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
24 hours, 134 views, zero replies: I presume that means there are no options for a rack or a hitch...still. :(

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
You might check the 987 section of this site. I know there were threads about hitches and roof racks on the 987. Of course with the Boxster the roof rack is out. You might give Suncoast a call as well to see if there is a buy and install option.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Contact Hanksville Hot Rods in Denver. He built a hitch for my 981.
Thanks, I'll try that and find out if it could be replicated and shipped instead of taking my car 4000 miles round trip.

I had done a search and seen that thread but hoped in the intervening years there were new choices (I stopped hearing from Mr. Willwood and presumed that avenue is closed, I hope he's OK). On that thread I saw the Bird system, viable but expensive. Then, I've heard from a fellow forum member about one available used so I may be able to transport a bike, even if I cannot tow. Until then I have to listen to a friend that keeps telling me to sell the Boxster and get a mini-van, just to transport a bike -- uh, no. I already have six bikes, all classics 1958-1980 plus my wife's from 1976, don't want to get a folding bike.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I contacted the e-mail address on Wilwood and GuruRacks and both said they were interested in doing the hitches for 981 series but hadn't yet. Either one would work for using a 1upUSA rack it seems. There was a post on Rennlist where someone got what appeared to be a 987 model of Wilwood on a GT4.

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
There were a few threads here with very nice custom solutions, where hitch receiver is attached to the aluminum bumper bar and hidden behind licence plate when not in use.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do not think I've heard of Gururacks before but I just sent them and e-mail so they'll know they might have another customer. Thanks!:thanks:

I contacted the e-mail address on Wilwood and GuruRacks and both said they were interested in doing the hitches for 981 series but hadn't yet. Either one would work for using a 1upUSA rack it seems. There was a post on Rennlist where someone got what appeared to be a 987 model of Wilwood on a GT4.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Awesome respond here if they work something out with you, it took a few days for me to get a response so give it a bit of time.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Here's the reply I got from contacting Wilwood, (it came from sporttows.com)

We are currently working on designs for the 981, 982, and 991. We are putting a lot of time into the structural analysis of the hitch, and rear bumper assembly as a whole. We will also be doing destructive testing on the hitches as they would be installed. This takes a significant amount of time especially when mixed in with the day to day running and development of the business. Developing a hitch for these vehicles is definitely possible and is something we intend to do.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's the reply I got from contacting Wilwood, (it came from sporttows.com)
Thanks for sharing that. If one or the other outfit comes out with a hitch first, if the other does not have a timeline for releasing theirs, we're in a position of needing to decide if it's worth the wait to be able to choose between two options.

I must really want a bike rack, I'm now planning a 450-mile RT journey to pick up the used Bird bike rack. This, of course, just as the weather changes and for at least the next week, too cold (and mostly wet) to ride anyway.

·
Registered
173 Posts

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
Yes, that is the way to go. Although I'd try and avoid putting that huge hole through the structural aluminum bar. Hopefully it can be done on the outside, and just drill bars for bolts.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just got back yesterday afternoon from a 9-hour, 470-mile run to NJ to pick up the (lightly) used Bird bike rack. I like the attachment to the car, the attachment of a bike is a bit iffy but I think I can modify that. Got a great deal from a fellow forum member, and he clearly takes care of his stuff. If a hitch becomes available, I would probably use the 1-1/4"-receiver bike rack we already have instead but I just cannot wait forever for that. I just ran out of time to get under the car and install it so today I am again relying on a friend to pick me up for a ride to the jump-off point for a 33-mile cycling ride. I'll have to listen to his ribbing about my choice of car (and he used to drive a Lotus Europa!) one last time.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Let me know when Brompton is making a 160mm travel 27.5" wheeled enduro bike and we'll talk

·
Registered
173 Posts
Update, one of the other posters mentioned Hanksville Hotrods and they have a page up: Porsche 981 Hidden Trailer Hitch - Hanksville Hot Rods

I've been working with Oliver at GuruRacks and have a bumper on it's way to him now to be modified for a hitch for my car. I'll let you know how that works when it all get's here. I'm excited.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.