Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
No, different part numbers. I have not had to remove the drive shafts on my Cayman S, but in my previous Porsches they were different lengths.

·
Registered
'07 Cayman 'S'
55 Posts
They're different part #s for L & R, but it also depends on year, model (base/'S') and transmission type (auto/5-speed/6-speed). Best to verify what you need by www search or a call to your Porsche dealer to make sure you get what you need.

Alternatively, if mechanically inclined, you could source the CV joints independently and replace yourself.

I have a 2007 'S', so this what I came up with should I need to replace the CV joints:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My car is a 07 CaymanS and I could do the repacking if I could find the parts lots cheaper than $800, I think...

·
Registered
'07 Cayman 'S'
55 Posts
Sure, you can, as long as the CV joints are still serviceable. I've cleaned and repacked them on a few different cars over the years. Just clean, inspect the cages and balls for cracks or galling, fresh grease & new boots and you're done on the cheeeeep. If the trunnion blocks show excessive wear, most can be reassembled in reverse orientation. If not, I'd look for some low-mileage axle shafts from a bone yard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts