Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2012 Cayenne (70K miles) can't go through 2nd through 4th gears without jerking. Based on Rennlist forums this is a big problem. Poor Transfer Case design seems to be the culprit.

Anyone here have experience with getting Porsche to address this.

I am beyond warranty but would expect a transfer case to make it to 100K.

6K to replace!?!?!!

Reactions: James III

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
As you may have read folks on Rennlist have had good luck with transfer case fluid change. Porsche also has come out with a updated transfer case fluid P/N 000 043 305 63. You might try a fluid change first. My experience was my local dealer didn't have the new fluid in stock. They used my own bottle that I brought with me

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, my service advisor says the transfer case is too damaged and paying for a fluid change is flushing money down the proverbial (and actual) toilet. I have been getting it serviced there for years, and giving them the benefit of the doubt. They are working with Porsche now to give me a price break. Seeing as I have had 2 Porsches there for years, and a third on the way, I expect them to work with me

·
Registered
340 Posts
So my 2012 Cayenne (70K miles) can't go through 2nd through 4th gears without jerking. Based on Rennlist forums this is a big problem. Poor Transfer Case design seems to be the culprit.

Anyone here have experience with getting Porsche to address this.

I am beyond warranty but would expect a transfer case to make it to 100K.

6K to replace!?!?!!
I bought a 2012 Cayenne Turbo in August 2017 with 48K on it. I didn't realize at the time what the issue was with it. Now at 55K I'm told we need a transfer case and apparently this is very common with Cayenne as well as Macan/Panamera AWD models. Anyway, I'm dropping it off at the Porsche dealer tomorrow and will try to get a good will assistance from the factory to comp me a transfer replacement. An independent shop quoted me $4300 including a 2 year unlimited miles warranty.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
340 Posts
I bought a 2012 Cayenne Turbo in August 2017 with 48K on it. I didn't realize at the time what the issue was with it. Now at 55K I'm told we need a transfer case and apparently this is very common with Cayenne as well as Macan/Panamera AWD models. Anyway, I'm dropping it off at the Porsche dealer tomorrow and will try to get a good will assistance from the factory to comp me a transfer replacement. An independent shop quoted me $4300 including a 2 year unlimited miles warranty.

Well, I was able to get the dealer to get factory Goodwill assistance and ended up paying $2045 to get the replacement transfer case. Here's hoping it lasts longer than the original, though theirs no real history to show it.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
My wife wants a Macan (can't blame her) and I want a Macan Turbo. So has this issue been resolved in the newer cars? That sucks that one has to deal with this kind of an issue! At least it sounds like Porsche is taking some steps to help folks out.

·
Registered
340 Posts
My wife wants a Macan (can't blame her) and I want a Macan Turbo. So has this issue been resolved in the newer cars? That sucks that one has to deal with this kind of an issue! At least it sounds like Porsche is taking some steps to help folks out.
My understanding is that it hasn't been fully resolved on the current generation of AWD vehicles. There is way more information on Reenlist about it though. If you get a Macan S and then add a Cobb Tune it will be near Turbo performance level's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all - I'm a new member and just purchased a CPO Cayenne. I didn't notice this on the lot with test drives, but when I accelerate hard, it seems to have a lot of difficulty changing gears from 3-6 especially, and feels like it keeps coming out of gear and hammering back into gear until I'm at speed. Does that sound like a transfer case issue to y'all?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey all - I'm a new member and just purchased a CPO Cayenne. I didn't notice this on the lot with test drives, but when I accelerate hard, it seems to have a lot of difficulty changing gears from 3-6 especially, and feels like it keeps coming out of gear and hammering back into gear until I'm at speed. Does that sound like a transfer case issue to y'all?
They were going to charge me 4K for a new transfer case as well. Then they said with good will it would be about $2500.

I still have not done the replacement.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think it will be more prevalent in the Cayenne. It has to do with the transmission having difficulty with the vehicle weight. Cayennes are HEAVY

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would take the car in without delay and complain about a potential transfer case issue so you can get it documented

Reactions: James III

·
Registered
340 Posts
Could be, regardless with it being CPO you get an extended warranty so it should cover just about any problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.