Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may somewhat controversial, but I don't buy a new plug every time I change my transfer case plug (GASP). I have been cleaning the plug with a wire brush and using yamabond 4 for sealant. The problem is that the yamabonds shelf life kinda sucks. It starts to harden in the tube after a while, so I made a change on my last service.

I am now using Curil T to seal the plug. I have been using Curil T on the case halves on aircooled engines for years and decided to try it on the drain plug. This service the plug came right out. It showed no signs of leaking. Not even any weeping. The plug cleaned up super easy with a shot of brake cleaner. So I decided to share this with you guys. The best part is that the Curil T lasts forever on the shelf after you open the tube. Not so for the yamabond 4. Usually the yamabond is hardened at the opening and I have to punch a hole in the tube just to get a smear for the plug.

And remember, do not over tighten that plug or you'll crack the case. I go a little past snug and let the sealer do the rest.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts