Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i read lots of posts on this message but old posts.
Is it anything new about to solve this PDK issue?

the car is 987.2 CS PDK 2009 with 182000 km (114k miles) I can trust what has been done or not in term of maintenance. I own the car since September 2019.
Service light ON for 2/3 days(could have an impact??)

it all started with a difficult ignition
When it finally started I got first the engine low power then the transmission emergency run.

the car is parked outside downhill and had first snow this night.
When I started outside temperature was 1 C° (33/34 F°)
The drive was harsh of course.
I stopped to the shop to by something to eat the temperature gauge displayed normal engine temp so car had the time to warm up.
When I restart the engine the power limited was gone but not the transmission error
I removed the key and close the car then reopen and restarted the engine, all messages gone.
I drove to work without an issue (but was a short drive)

i will check the code with my computer tonight.

do we have more info to resolve this?
PDK software update? Sensor? Oil?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I know the car is new to you, but do you know how old the battery is? A weak one will cause all sorts of lights on the dash and error messages that really have nothing to do with the actual problem. This will get worse in the cold as the internal resistance of a battery is much higher when cold, so one that was on the line in warmer weather can be pushed over the edge in winter. Its a simple fix if so

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I do not but in case I installed a CTEK monitoring device it works with Bluetooth on iOS and Android.
You must be certain to read the value before turning the key otherwise it obviously reads voltage from the alternator.
I am still checking if it is reliable or not.
Most car dealers use the same hardwired monitoring with showroom cars.
It stores voltage, temperature and charge of the battery.

I had battery issues with other cars before even one brutal stop on the street. Not fun so I tried to monitor these devices as good as it gets

do you know how old the battery is? A weak one will cause all sorts of lights on the dash and error messages that really have nothing to do with the actual problem.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I would consider proactively changing it out if you cant determine how old it is. You can do it yourself for less than $200. Many dont dialy drive these cars so they won't last long if the previous owner did not keep in a tender, and even then expect 5-6 years. Much less than that if no tender assuming the car isnt daily driven. Porsche wont even warranty it on a brand new car unless driven at least 6000 mile per year.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
first things first - is the message in white or red? they have different severity levels.
next you need to diagnose with PIWIS and an experienced tech depending on the codes that are generated. they can be caused by any number of things including sensor, dirty MAF etc.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update from the night and morning.
I had only the Engine Low Power no more Transmission message (all in red)
This night it was snowing when I left work and same this morning.

It seems the car is difficult to start and needs some gas pedal to help.
Is this known these card have issues in cold weather?
Germany could be really cold so I do not expect issues.
MAF sensor cleaning maybe?
Joined eyeofthetiger on this point but when you start touching the sensors could be a mess, no?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am gonna read the codes right now and post what I found

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lots of codes, probably too many for a diagnostic
I could reset all codes and will check tonight and ASAP next time it occurs.

current codes are:
DME -> P0335/P0336 relates to crankshaft sensor
PDK -> U0401 invalid data from PCM
PSM -> 5400 Fault Sport Mode
POSIP -> C152/C150 communication failure
PCM -> C152 CAN time-out
PDK Selector Lever -> P1802 shift/key lock solenoid position implausible

it seems it could be the sensor or power supply issue causing comm failures
Found somewhere it could be a coil pack...

any idea?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No snow today and no more issues or codes.
I do know if it is related or not.

I checked all sensors via diagnostic and did not found any erratic data so sensors should be ok.

No code no issue but I made several test drives with live data diagnostics and found several Misfire counter and incrementers
Still no misfire code but is it normal or something to monitor in the future?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Start with a new battery bud. Clear the codes after you put a new one in, then you can diagnose from there if you’re still having problems.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I monitored the battery, battery is good even with a load

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Then coil packs are the next thing I would consider if it keeps happening. They also cause many lights, warnings and codes to be thrown that aren't specific to the actual issue and can throw the car into limp mode if enough misfires. They were very problematic on the 981 and had many early failures. Porsche is on its 3rd revision now due to this on the 981, but I cant recall if my 987.2S uses the same as the 981 or not. One on my 981 failed on the hwy and dropped the car into second gear and wouldn't let it come out until the ignition was cycled. It would go away for 50-80 miles and just when I thought I was in the clear it would return again until I replaced all coil packs.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you stick to Beru coil packs or move to NGK or others?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I Purchased the latest revision that Suncoast Porsche was selling, and I think they are Beru from my recollection however don’t hold me 100% to that.

The Suncoast description said that it was the updated version so I felt comfortable with it one way or the other. It was about $250 for all six if I recall and I just went ahead and changed them all out despite only one having failed.

There were no signs of cracking or damage to any of mine when replace them, so there will not always be a visual tell.

It also solved another error code that I kept getting prior of my bank 1 post cat O2 sensor reading rich. It turns out the bad coil was on that bank, so the overrich issue was due to the misfires and raw fuel passing through

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh I did not know there was updated version I will pay attention to that.
Thanks
Tuesday I go to my mech to change wheel rear bearing(s) good time to check cool packs

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Coil packs, sorry automatic correction on the phone.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
My coil packs had no visible damage, but after I changed have not had the error, mine error came on about 3-4 times about every 3-5 days with no problems then it would pop up, I used the Beru packs from Pelican, looked like the old ones, I did change my weak battery thinking it could be a issue, but I did get the error within a few days of a fresh battery.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My coil packs had no visible damage, but after I changed have not had the error, mine error came on about 3-4 times about every 3-5 days with no problems then it would pop up, I used the Beru packs from Pelican, looked like the old ones, I did change my weak battery thinking it could be a issue, but I did get the error within a few days of a fresh battery.
I'm somewhat confused.

You're not the original poster correct?

You had some error messages - but you failed to list what they were. I have to assume they involved bad running, perhaps some misfires in the engine?
You also seem to have not told us what your car is - year/model/engine, That's a useful thing to know.

It appears you've solved whatever your problems were (and had no more error messages) after replacing the coils? Changing the battery did not solve the issue? Just wondering - did you change the plugs at the same time as you replaced the coils?

Did I understand this correctly? So you're basically telling the original poster that based on your experience you'd suggest changing the coils?

Thanks if you can clear this up..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't feel so bad, my '13 981 base PDK failed a couple months ago with just over 45k miles. Dealer said it was "a very rare premature failure of an internal component" requiring a complete trans replacement. Took them 6 weeks and me $13k.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts