Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Got the issue again this morning but
  • the transmission error came only after a few start/stop of the engine so it is a secondary issue cause by the next one
  • Engine Low Power mode (red)
the only one code was P0335 (crankshaft position sensor)

i took my time to check the battery:
  • I restarted with a jump starter
  • I restarted with my neighbor car connected
No difference still the same difficulty to start (it cranks for a long time before ignition) then once started got the same P0335 code with Engine Low Power red message on the dashboard.
So I got rid of this battery issue option
This is not the battery.

something else problem disappears as soon as the engine is at temperature.
I did not check what temp exactly.

that is where I am now and I will have some time to investigate during season holiday:
  • coil packs
  • spark plugs
  • camshaft sensor
  • temperature sensors?
i do not want to change parts just on an idea or bad experience for some other guys
Battery 200$
coil packs 200$
spark plugs 150$
sensor 200$
that already an average 750$ and maybe it does not solve the issue.

i am automation engineer I want facts and measures before I change something.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
I'm somewhat confused.

You're not the original poster correct?

You had some error messages - but you failed to list what they were. I have to assume they involved bad running, perhaps some misfires in the engine?
You also seem to have not told us what your car is - year/model/engine, That's a useful thing to know.

It appears you've solved whatever your problems were (and had no more error messages) after replacing the coils? Changing the battery did not solve the issue? Just wondering - did you change the plugs at the same time as you replaced the coils?

Did I understand this correctly? So you're basically telling the original poster that based on your experience you'd suggest changing the coils?

Thanks if you can clear this up..
My error message was emergency run mode, the battery was weak so I changed it and it did not fix the issue $190, I did change my coil packs and issue was resolved $240 my car never ran bad, in hindsight I would never change just the plugs or just the coil packs since it is so much work to get them out I will in the future change both, I had changed my plugs $42 about 6 months previous to the bad coil pack, they looked great on both inspections but my car is 9 years old with some track miles, I have about 40,000 miles this was my first strange issue.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
sk8flyer, when I experienced this, i sat with my mechanic to look at the error logs...there were many many codes that were thrown up but he did further analysis to narrow it down...some of it is also from experience working on many porsches and car makes. No idea how he did it though....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I spent some time today trying to locate this crankshaft sensor... no luck
I will go back to YouTube video about a 981.
Should be the same correct?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So it was a faulty crankshaft sensor but the location on 987.2 Cayman S is totally different from what I found on the net or in YouTube.
Most of not all info found are based on 987.1 Boxster.
The sensor is below the air hose that links the MAF and the throttle body.
Quite impossible to reach from the bottom as the oil filter is in the way
Also a short tool is needed to unscrew the sensor and tiny hands help a lot.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts