by FUNCTION-FIRST Performance

HIGHLIGHTED FEATURES:
Direct drop-in replacement
Increased sportiness and performance
Added reliability
Quieter than semi-solid mounts
Preserved compliant ride
No more sagging exhaust tips

In terms of added stiffness and NVH, our Transmission Mount Upgrade strikes a nice balance between OEM mounts and semi-solid mounts - we refer to them as "Semi-Semi-Solid" Transmission Mounts.

Not too hard - not too soft - JUST RIGHT!

They are the perfect solution for those of you looking to replace your worn trans mounts with something a touch sportier and more reliable, but you don't quite want to go with a full semi-solid engine mount for fear of too much added noise, vibration, and harshness.

We achieve this happy medium by adding a pocket of urethane in the bottom voids of brand new OEM mounts. This results in moderately increased stiffness that limits excess drivetrain movement and prevents the mounts from prematurely sagging, all while preserving a compliant and quiet ride - it's the perfect compromise for a performance street car!

Restore performance and reward yourself with...precise turn-in, predictable handling, reduced weight transfer, minimized wheel hop, and direct and confident shifts.

Please CLICK HERE to check out the product page for full details!

emuv2_large2.png

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I installed a Function First Orange insert in Oct last year. On installation my installer found that my OEM motor mount was cracked in a few spots, needing replacement. So I had the mount replaced and the insert fitted as well. Now, the motor does not move during slalom type corners or high G corners as well. Seems that throttle steering is better as well. Great upgrade to our mid engine car.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,820 Posts
I installed a Function First Orange insert in Oct last year. On installation my installer found that my OEM motor mount was cracked in a few spots, needing replacement. So I had the mount replaced and the insert fitted as well. Now, the motor does not move during slalom type corners or high G corners as well. Seems that throttle steering is better as well. Great upgrade to our mid engine car.
What are your thoughts about NVH with this insert installed? Did you pair it with the FF transmission mounts?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I only replaced the motor mount and added the FF insert. I felt that added the tranmission FF mount would add more NVH. Now the only time NVH is noticeable is on start up on colder mornings. So I add a fuel additive during the winter months that smooths our the startup and cleans the injectors are the same time. The Function First insert gives a more connected feeling with the motor. Kind of like the old days with the engine behind me on the kart. Its especially noticeable in tight linked corners where the g forcers are going back and forth, with throttle steer and on corner entry. This modification really brings out the true mid engine effects of being connected to the car. I just wonder if a tightly adjusted bucket seat would give even more of that connected driving feeling through my butt and lower back.

As you can see from these used ones, they fit into the OEM motor mount holes to stiffen the motion front to rear or side to side. While NVH is a little more noticeable at higher revs, the total ambiance is very exciting to me. The Orange model is the most complient of the the three offerings.

Reactions: Croc'ed

·
Registered
355 Posts
I keep getting conflicting information. When I had to replace my engine mount I considered semi-solid mounts but was told the NVH would be too noticeable and that semi-solid trans mounts were the direction to go. However, I am hearing here that the trans mounts are the source of the more dispruptive NVH noise.

Confused!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I am not sure when I will replace my trans mounts as I am happy with the current setup.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,820 Posts
Apex1, thanks for the feedback. I had fitted Wevo semi-solid transmission mounts, along with the factory engine mount, to my 987 Cayman. I didn't like the increased NVH, especially at lower frequencies, so I ultimately removed them and returned to the factory parts. The fluid-filled factory parts really work well in this region. To their credit, the car responded more immediately during slalom-type transitions with the semi-solid mounts installed, but I didn't feel the trade-off was acceptable. YMMV.
I am intrigued by the FF parts, as they seem to seek the "sweet spot" between the factory and race offerings. I may purchase all three parts, and experiment with different combinations, just for the heck of it. If and when I do, I'll report back with my subjective findings.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Mine was bad. cracked and deteriorating rubber at 43k, had a new oem installed along with a FF Orange motor mount insert. The shop owner said he usually do not change these until 80k though.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My transmission mounts were sagging quite a bit at ~60K. I found this out when I tried to install a Pedro Bar and the transaxle was hitting it.

I went with stock as I was worried about NVH. Sounds like I made the right move.

If memory serves the 911 mounts were significantly cheaper at the time (part 993-375-049-09-M963 is what I used) but I had to use an angle grinder to shorten the shaft.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts